My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura - Is it worth purchasing?

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mirdragon

I have been looking at the Aura to replace Sky Q and multi-room, but is it still worth buying in today's market (as based on posts it may not do what I want)

Currently have Sky Q multi-room with the added feature of Sky Go so can watch on our mobile devices. Does Aura support this or does it still only have the capability of playback on one device?

Does it support all the streaming services yet (Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+, Apple TV+, ITVX, BBCiPlayer, etc, etc) and in 4K playback?

I also have a HDHR setup which allows me to record OTA broadcasts to a PC and watch Freeview on any device (Apple TV, LG TV, Shield TV, Roku, mobiles and tablets). Would I be better of just sticking with this, seeing the devices are still receiving updates whereas based on a post on this forum it looks unlikely the Aura will receive further updates.

Is Humax planning to release a newer model of the product?

| Sat 1 Apr 2023 8:56:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

No to Netflix and sadly the box hasn't been updated for a few years now.

Sadly the box wasn't what was promised and alot of loyal Humax owners that will never buy Humax again after the Aura.

| Sun 2 Apr 2023 20:03:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mirdragon

Thanks for response,

Definitely looks like I won't be buying one, after going through a lot of the posts on the forum.

I'm better sticking with my HDHR which has 4 tuners and can be used as IPTV over my network and accessible via numerous apps and devices.

Regards

| Sun 2 Apr 2023 20:07:58 #3 |
  4. brian

brian

special member

MattB1 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Sadly the box wasn't what was promised and alot of loyal Humax owners that will never buy Humax again after the Aura.

The last box updates were less than Two years ago, so not exactly a few years.

What was promised? I have never seen any promises made about the aura.

I am fairly sure that there will never be a box that does everything that all users want it to.

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 8:16:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

brian - 14 mins ago  » 

MattB1 - 12 hours ago  » 

I am fairly sure that there will never be a box that does everything that all users want it to.

They shouldn't make claims like this then:-

"Powered by Android TV™
    One place for everything you want to watch, play, and do.

From live TV, on-demand and your favourite apps, Aura brings together all the entertainment you love in one place.

Simply log in with your Google Account for quick and easy integration with your smart home system, access to saved preferences, recommendations and more.

Talk to Google using your smart voice remote to search for movies and shows, pause and rewind, and even start show recordings. That’s just the beginning. Find answers to your questions, control smart home devices and check your calendar – all with your voice.

Download all your favourite apps and games from Google Play. Including BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more."

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 8:32:26 #5 |
  6. brian

brian

special member

SSThing - 14 mins ago  » 

brian - 14 mins ago  » 

MattB1 - 12 hours ago  » 

They shouldn't make claims like this then:-
    "Powered by Android TV™
    One place for everything you want to watch, play, and do.
    From live TV, on-demand and your favourite apps, Aura brings together all the entertainment you love in one place.
    Simply log in with your Google Account for quick and easy integration with your smart home system, access to saved preferences, recommendations and more.
    Talk to Google using your smart voice remote to search for movies and shows, pause and rewind, and even start show recordings. That’s just the beginning. Find answers to your questions, control smart home devices and check your calendar – all with your voice.
    Download all your favourite apps and games from Google Play. Including BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more."

I don't see anything wrong there.

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 8:47:10 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

mirdragon

Not every device, but at the moment for the main streaming apps, Sky Q out performs the Aura.

For freeview I would say a TV, Apple TV, Shield TV or Fire Cube TV with a HDHR unit with PC or NAS for recording side (the Shield TV (and possibly Fire Cube TV) you can add external drives for recording) is the way to go.

The HDHR allows anyone on your network to watch Live TV and recordings on any device

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 9:07:24 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

For me the Aura does everything I want it to do, TV, Recording, YouTube, Plex etc.(these are 'my' favourite apps), but obviously there will be people who want more...

Manufacturers cannot please everyone, there will always be people that want products to do more and generally those more savvy people frequent forums like this. For the average person I think the Aura performs fine.

I think the description is open to a lot of interpretation as to what it can and cannot do. Like Brian says, will there ever be a box that can do everything for everyone, I very much doubt it.?

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 10:27:14 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Misterhumax

As a DVR I think it's excellent. As an all in one box it has some issues particularly the lack of Netflix, and the other 'bonus features'. Personally I don't find lack of Netflix an issue because even though we watch it all the time, it's built into our TV... And for £25 you can get a Chromecast or whatever.
    The only streaming service we use Aura for is iPlayer because it respects the stereo audio.

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 13:13:40 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

No it's not worth it since Humax have given up supporting it who knows how long it will keep working for without Humax support and updates. It's a dead duck in waiting.

| Mon 3 Apr 2023 14:07:50 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.