My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura suggestions to improve unit.

(207 posts)
  1. barrados

barrados

mullers63 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would like the ability to skip backwards in Live TV without having to pause first. This was how the Foxsat HDR operated and is frustrating to not have it.

I can skip back in Live TV and also fast rewind too without pressing pause.
    Obviously you need to let it buffer up slightly for it to work.

| Mon 26 Apr 2021 20:33:17 #131 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

mullers63 - 13 hours ago  » 
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would like the ability to skip backwards in Live TV without having to pause first. This was how the Foxsat HDR operated and is frustrating to not have it.

There is a big difference between the Foxsat-HDR and the Aura. The Foxsat cannot create a recording from the time shift buffer file (0.ts) and the Aura can.

| Mon 26 Apr 2021 21:54:38 #132 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » 

There is a big difference between the Foxsat-HDR and the Aura. The Foxsat cannot create a recording from the time shift buffer file (0.ts) and the Aura can.

I might be wrong, but I thought I'd tried and failed to get this to work as this is a very useful feature for me.

Let's say I start watching a programme 1 minute into the broadcast, and enjoy the first 5 minutes. If I hit "record" at that point, what will be the content of the recording? From minute 1 or from minute 5? Or do I need to skip back to minute 1, then press record, to get the full buffer to be recorded?

My strong preference would be that whenever "record" is pressed during a live recording, as much as possible of the buffer is added to the recording too (i.e. to the programme start if the buffer extends that far back). Or a popup asking which choice I want to make (e.g. only record from now, record from beginning).

On a similar vein, I'd also like to see the buffer be available across multiple channels (ideally whole multiplexes, but that's probably not going to happen).

So the scenario would be:-
    I'm watching CH4 Formula 1 without recording it, and get bored because it looks predictable with 20 laps to go.
    I flip over to BBC1 to catch a news headline
    I return to CH4 before the F1 has finished and see that something dramatic has happened whilst I was watching BBC1, so on toggling back to CH4 I can skip back to any point of the F1 programme as it was all being live buffered.

My Thomson DHD4000 could do this back in the early 2000s I think; toggling between channels was done by using 0 as a channel button and it simply flipped between the two most recently watched channels and their accumulated buffers.

I'm not certain that the Aura *doesn't* do this, but I'm pretty sure I've not noticed it being a feature that's available.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 11:56:30 #133 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Another feature request - does the Aura have the hardware to allow for a PIP experience? Would really like that to be available, with the ability to flip between the small and large screen.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 12:04:39 #134 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 32 mins ago  » 

I might be wrong, but I thought I'd tried and failed to get this to work as this is a very useful feature for me.
    Let's say I start watching a programme 1 minute into the broadcast, and enjoy the first 5 minutes. If I hit "record" at that point, what will be the content of the recording? From minute 1 or from minute 5? Or do I need to skip back to minute 1, then press record, to get the full buffer to be recorded?
    My strong preference would be that whenever "record" is pressed during a live recording, as much as possible of the buffer is added to the recording too (i.e. to the programme start if the buffer extends that far back). Or a popup asking which choice I want to make (e.g. only record from now, record from beginning).
    On a similar vein, I'd also like to see the buffer be available across multiple channels (ideally whole multiplexes, but that's probably not going to happen).
    I'm watching CH4 Formula 1 without recording it, and get bored because it looks predictable with 20 laps to go.
    I return to CH4 before the F1 has finished and see that something dramatic has happened whilst I was watching BBC1, so on toggling back to CH4 I can skip back to any point of the F1 programme as it was all being live buffered.
    My Thomson DHD4000 could do this back in the early 2000s I think; toggling between channels was done by using 0 as a channel button and it simply flipped between the two most recently watched channels and their accumulated buffers.
    I'm not certain that the Aura *doesn't* do this, but I'm pretty sure I've not noticed it being a feature that's available.

The box needs to be tuned to the programme when it starts. This resets the time shift buffer pointers. If it was then you should just need to press the red r button above the prime video button.

You can use a reminder to ensure you are tuned at the correct time. You can record up to 5 depending on mux this way.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 12:31:33 #135 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 27 mins ago  » 
    Another feature request - does the Aura have the hardware to allow for a PIP experience? Would really like that to be available, with the ability to flip between the small and large screen.

Freeview Play - audio and video - Picture In Picture.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 12:33:23 #136 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

But if you're not tuned to the programme when it starts, is there any impact (other than missing the start of the programme, obviously!)

I can never imagine needing to record 5 things though, and if I need to set reminders I might as well schedule the recording in the usual way from the EPG.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 12:35:48 #137 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 

You would need a enormous hard disk to buffer all 3 tuners and an massive one to record a whole Mux. The topfield pvrs could record a complete mux with the help of a tap. The Hard Disk sizes available made it impractical. Add up the total bandwidth of 3 Freeview Mux.

You should be able to use the on demand apps (including ones with live TV) without upsetting the time shift buffer pointers. On demand does not need a tuner.

As for multiple in/out time shift buffer pointers how would the box know what content was in which bit.

Why did you not push the instant record button before changing channels ? That would copy the current buffer contents to a recording and continue using the tuner to complete the recording.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 13:09:50 #138 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

My EETV box recorded the whole HD mux constantly and made the last 24/25 hours of it available on demand from the EPG. I assume the Freeview+ spec doesn't allow that, but it was the single best feature on a PVR that I've not seen replicated anywhere else. That only had a 1Tb disk, and had plenty of storage capacity for ordinary recordings, so I don't think the recording of a whole multiplex is that onerous.

But in any event, that wasn't what I was suggesting for the Aura. The aura's fundamental design assumes the catch up service work really well, but not all such services are as reliable (e.g. All4 doesn't integrate into the EPG). However, it is clear that the aura is designed with an expectation of catchup service usage, so I'm conscious that suggesting somethng which inherently tries to undo that and make it more reliant on the HDD isn't sensible.

However, my use-case of toggling between two live broadcasts and being able to pause (or buffer) each one, without recording them, is different to that; I wouldn't expect to watch "live" TV, then flick to BBCiPlayer, then back to live seamlessly.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 14:11:15 #139 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

On size of recording a whole multiplex; is my maths wrong here?

40Mbit/sec is the bitrate of the HD multiplex.

40/8 = 5megabytes per second of data. x 60 sec x 60 min x 24 hours = 423Gigabytes of data. So say half a terrabyte disk, or 25% of the 2Tb models. Its a lot of usage but for a fabulously useful service. It's a real shame no-one has replicated that functionality.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 14:17:00 #140 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.