My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura suggestions to improve unit.

(207 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 51 mins ago  » 
    On size of recording a whole multiplex; is my maths wrong here?
    40Mbit/sec is the bitrate of the HD multiplex.
    40/8 = 5megabytes per second of data. x 60 sec x 60 min x 24 hours = 423Gigabytes of data. So say half a terrabyte disk, or 25% of the 2Tb models. Its a lot of usage but for a fabulously useful service. It's a real shame no-one has replicated that functionality.

That seems about right but the recordings are much smaller thanks to stat muxing.

The actual hdd capacity is actually less due to the same rounding using 1000. 4236/1024 TB

4236GB is actually less than half at just over 4TB.

The available pool is allocated dynamically (variable bitrate) according to the complexity of the current content. As a result simultaneous recording of 5 HD channels will be much smaller than your calculation for the full Mux.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 15:17:01 #141 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 mins ago  » 

larkim - 51 mins ago  » 
    On size of recording a whole multiplex; is my maths wrong here?
    40Mbit/sec is the bitrate of the HD multiplex.
    40/8 = 5megabytes per second of data. x 60 sec x 60 min x 24 hours = 423Gigabytes of data. So say half a terrabyte disk, or 25% of the 2Tb models. Its a lot of usage but for a fabulously useful service. It's a real shame no-one has replicated that functionality.

That seems about right but the recordings are much smaller thanks to stat muxing.
    The actual hdd capacity is actually less due to the same rounding using 1000. 4236/1024 TB

Where is 4326 coming from? the calculation shown above says 423GB and my calculation says 432GB.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 15:31:51 #142 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

LOL, I was confused by that too. Transposition error in my 423GB of course which should read 432. In any event, it worked (still works in fact) on my EETV box and is a killer feature that takes up a manageable chunk of the HDD and has distinct advantages over the online catchup services especially (most obviously, the ability to avoid adverts on the commercial channels).

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 17:03:31 #143 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 1 hour ago  » 
    LOL, I was confused by that too. Transposition error in my 423GB of course which should read 432. In any event, it worked (still works in fact) on my EETV box and is a killer feature that takes up a manageable chunk of the HDD and has distinct advantages over the online catchup services especially (most obviously, the ability to avoid adverts on the commercial channels).

Intrigued how did you find a specific programme on a whole mux recording. I never tried the Topfield app as the IDE drives at the times were nowhere near enough to record even SD content (and of course the Topfield boxes were mpeg2 SD only) . If you kept the recording after the current epg content has gone how could you find a specific programme.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 18:55:24 #144 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

You didn't need to find them; just scroll back through the EPG and press play. It was brilliantly implemented, you simply chose a multiplex and then selected I think 6 channels from that mux to be your "replay" channels.

In the EPG for those channels for the preceding 24 hours a small icon showed by each programme, and if the EPG entry was selected a "play" button displayed which could be selected.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 20:53:58 #145 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 11 mins ago  » 
    You didn't need to find them; just scroll back through the EPG and press play. It was brilliantly implemented, you simply chose a multiplex and then selected I think 6 channels from that mux to be your "replay" channels.
    In the EPG for those channels for the preceding 24 hours a small icon showed by each programme, and if the EPG entry was selected a "play" button displayed which could be selected.

In that case the the epg data carried on the mux must have been saved at the time of recording. If it was not the data would not have been there. It's a seperate data stream on every MUX that has the full epg data on every Mux.

More data you did not include to make this work.

| Tue 27 Apr 2021 21:10:41 #146 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Huh? I can scroll backwards through the EPG on the Aura anyway. It's not that hard to cache 24 hours of EPG data for a short period of time.

And anyway, EE managed it with great success!! I'm not expecting Humax to implement this in any event, just describing something that worked and was useful.

| Wed 28 Apr 2021 7:06:14 #147 |
  8. barrados

barrados

May I suggest that in a future update, the usb port has both read and Write access, instead of read only.

| Thu 29 Apr 2021 10:09:39 #148 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

barrados - 2 mins ago  » 
    May I suggest that in a future update, the usb port has both read and Write access, instead of read only.

The DLNA media server has write access.

| Thu 29 Apr 2021 10:12:25 #149 |
  10. barrados

barrados

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

barrados - 2 mins ago  » 

The DLNA media server has write access.

Not much use when you want to backup configuration files for other personal installed apps to a USB stick via a file manager. An easy fix to be able to grant write access in android.

| Thu 29 Apr 2021 13:11:15 #150 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.