My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Buy a 1100S or wait?

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My 1000S is also 4 years old, with the original 1TB drive. I've never experienced any problems. No recordings missing, maybe because I rarely if ever go to the recordings page until some time after boot-up. No permanent loss either, maybe because I have never used the app and advocate that nobody use it until Humax/Freesat remove the fixed 20 min boot-up interval.
    I have 1 x HDR and 3 x HB and all working to spec.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 13:09:10 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

DaveE

Hi, like Faust & Graham I have a 2 year old HDR 1000S and have had no problems at all with it, it is my second Humax pvr the first one being a Freview 9150T recorder which is still going strong. I ditched SKY 5 years ago and have not missed it one bit, GO FOR IT.

| Mon 17 Oct 2016 16:08:05 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mj11london

I have had a Foxsat HDR for quite few years and have also installed a couple for friends/relations. I have found it to be absolutely superb with never a problem. A while ago, I took up the Humax offer of a reconditioned 1000S to be a sort of spare. Now that BBC have changed their iPlayer system, the Foxsat no longer works for it(come on Humax do a software update) and so I had to install the 1000S. I absolutely HATE it! The interfaces are all "pretty" with huge graphics filling the screen and dozens of things hiding under complex menu systems and no simple channel listing in either Freesat or non-Freesat mode and terribly difficult to edit channels shown. The Media player thing refuses to play most of the things in found folders from the PC as "not being compatible file format" but won't tell me why and of course there is no proper handbook to help, just flashy leaflets. Even the new remote is nasty and loudly "clicky"
    I just wish there were alternatives as I would be selling off the 1000S to some sucker.
    UGH!!

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 16:42:24 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

mj11london - 3 hours ago  » 
    I have had a Foxsat HDR for quite few years and have also installed a couple for friends/relations. I have found it to be absolutely superb with never a problem. A while ago, I took up the Humax offer of a reconditioned 1000S to be a sort of spare. Now that BBC have changed their iPlayer system, the Foxsat no longer works for it(come on Humax do a software update) and so I had to install the 1000S. I absolutely HATE it! The interfaces are all "pretty" with huge graphics filling the screen and dozens of things hiding under complex menu systems and no simple channel listing in either Freesat or non-Freesat mode and terribly difficult to edit channels shown. The Media player thing refuses to play most of the things in found folders from the PC as "not being compatible file format" but won't tell me why and of course there is no proper handbook to help, just flashy leaflets. Even the new remote is nasty and loudly "clicky"
    I just wish there were alternatives as I would be selling off the 1000S to some sucker.
    UGH!!

I agree, I was massively disappointed when I got mine, but you get used to it after a few years. There are a couple of improvements I like but I still miss the Foxsat's (proper PVR) features. Luckily my old Foxsat HDR is still going strong but tend to use the 1000s for everyday recording as it has 2Tb HDD.
    I think the last update for the Foxsat was over 4 years ago (recording the London Olympics red button channels ?), it won't be getting another and doubt it would have the hardware for new iPlayer anyway.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 20:12:35 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

mj11london - 3 hours ago  » 
    UGH!!

Sounds like this modern tech is a bit beyond you. Get rid and go back to VHS.

| Wed 19 Oct 2016 20:16:12 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 12 hours ago  » 
    Sounds like this modern tech is a bit beyond you. Get rid and go back to VHS.

Faust I'm surprised the 'unhelpful post' police haven't paid you a visit

The Foxsat HDR certainly does have its faults but unlike the 1000s it does have a file manager so users can sort their recordings, make new folders, rename, move, delete etc. Also it has many other features that I personally have found quite useful. Bookmarking, slow motion, easily extend the length of an instant recording (I hate it when you press record and don't get the end of the program, (as under those circumstances accurate record doesn't work). Genre search for films etc. (Not just a basic useless channel genre search like the 1000s has) Pause button also resumes playback like it does on all the other quality AV kit I've ever had.
    If nothing else Freesat could of easily improved on the Foxsats HDR's Last Channel button but no they decided "modern tech" doesn't need that feature either. Actually I think our new washing machine has more interesting features than the 1000s.

| Thu 20 Oct 2016 9:09:33 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

I was focused on the satellite based PVR features rather than the online stuff, if online TV, etc is more important then I'm sure there are other and possibly better alternatives to Freesat.
    Freesat were obviously more concerned with getting all the On Demand stuff working well with their G2 boxes made by 'different' box manufacturers !!

| Thu 20 Oct 2016 10:36:01 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Well said Reffub. The only reason the Humax Freesat boxes are the only game in town is ...hmmm... they are the only game in town. Freesat clearly believed that they could program a PVR and Humax stumbled into that business model. Interesting that every other mfg-er backed off. The Digital TV Consortium were I believe given the opportunity to pick up the Freesat/Freetime s/w for use on FVP (it had after all been 2 years in debug and was in use on various TVs) but no, they also believed they could program a PVR (how hard can it be, as our ex-PM said). Look how well that turned out.

| Thu 20 Oct 2016 10:39:20 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Reffub, at the end of the day the G2 boxes are what they are and you yourself said "it sucks" and if you could you would get rid.

Therefore further discussion clearly isn't going to change your mind or the minds of Humax/Freesat. I have a 2000T which still uses the folder methods and whilst okay, on balance I prefer the G2 box. I also love the 'clicky' remotes which are are used with both the G2 and the 2000T boxes.

Sometimes going forward isn't all it's cracked up to be.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 11:22:58 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 20 minutes ago  » 
    Reffub, at the end of the day the G2 boxes are what they are and you yourself said "it sucks" and if you could you would get rid.
    Therefore further discussion clearly isn't going to change your mind or the minds of Humax/Freesat. I have a 2000T which still uses the folder methods and whilst okay, on balance I prefer the G2 box. I also love the 'clicky' remotes which are are used with both the G2 and the 2000T boxes.
    Sometimes going forward isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Actually I didn't say "it sucks" or anything even close to that and I didn't say I would get rid of my box if I could. I think you've got confused with mj11london where he mentioned selling it to some sucker. Lots of confusion on this site lately !
    Just for the record I didn't mention the 'clicky' remote either.

To paraphrase myself I was very disappointed with G2 when I got it but I've got used to it after a few years. I'm still disappointed with G2 and their current "business model" (as Pollensa put it) and I don't mind agreeing with others that are also unimpressed with G2.
    I can of course agree with your last comment.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 12:25:57 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.