My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Buy a 1100S or wait?

(34 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I can only apologise for getting my quotes mixed up. Serves me right for using a smartphone when replying.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 12:47:10 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Just got an email from Humax ref the new H3...

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/smart-home/humax-h3.html

Looks OK, but since it can stream recordings from the FVP4000 and still no such facility on the Freesat boxes it places those even more into the backwoods of the distributed home. No sale here. Freesat need to seriously up their game rather than simply acting as a backstop for those viewers that cannot get the full spectrum of Freeview TV or unhappy Sky customers.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 13:00:03 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Pollensa1946 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Just got an email from Humax ref the new H3...
    http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/smart-home/humax-h3.html
    Looks OK, but since it can stream recordings from the FVP4000 and still no such facility on the Freesat boxes it places those even more into the backwoods of the distributed home. No sale here. Freesat need to seriously up their game rather than simply acting as a backstop for those viewers that cannot get the full spectrum of Freeview TV or unhappy Sky customers.

Is Freesat the issue or those broadcasters that are behind Freesat? Perceived wisdom has always maintained that the Freesat platform has by far the best potential and yet appears to have been 'hobbled' for reasons of politics I would suggest.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 14:09:11 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 
    I can only apologise for getting my quotes mixed up. Serves me right for using a smartphone when replying.

No problemo

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 14:12:06 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Faust - 5 minutes ago  » 

Is Freesat the issue or those broadcasters that are behind Freesat? Perceived wisdom has always maintained that the Freesat platform has by far the best potential and yet appears to have been 'hobbled' for reasons of politics I would suggest.

I always thought Humax were the issue regarding the streaming of recordings.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 14:16:00 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

When the box was first launched in Oct 2012 the Humax website said that a client/server function would be added later. The server never happened for reasons that Humax chose never to reveal. Whether it was ruled out by Freesat or Humax weren't up to it who knows.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 15:25:35 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 3 hours ago  » 

Faust - 5 minutes ago  » 

I always thought Humax were the issue regarding the streaming of recordings.

It's not Humax, they build the boxes the UI and DRM restrictions are down to Freesat.

The Freeview+ boxes are much less restricted especially the HDR-FOX-T2.

Take a look at the features that German users can enjoy using the icord satellite pvr's.

| Fri 21 Oct 2016 17:47:18 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 
    It's not Humax, they build the boxes the UI and DRM restrictions are down to Freesat.
    The Freeview+ boxes are much less restricted especially the HDR-FOX-T2.
    Take a look at the features that German users can enjoy using the icord satellite pvr's.

Can we really blame it on DRM ?

Apparently Humax built the 1000s with media server hardware and said server functionality would be coming later. Now obviously they knew all about Freesats copyright protection DRM encryption requirements as it put a spanner in the works four years earlier with the Foxsat HDR Buffer recording ! So had they completely forgotten about DRM or had they developed a cunning plan to work around it on a Humax streaming to Humax basis. Whatever the problem was they couldn't just suddenly blame Freesats DRM restrictions, it not like it was a new thing !

Couldn't possibly be Humax's fault so let's blame Freesat

So Humax/Freesat are almost ready to enable this server but Freesat suddenly decide they can't be bothered to develop the software UI anymore or maybe they changed their minds and decided that they didn't want customers being able the stream their HDD content through out their homes. That doesn't make any sense either, of course Freesat would want their brand new G2 box to stream and be up-to-date and desirable as possible.

My guess is Humax and Freesat had enough problems trying to get the basic Freesat software working with the 1000s hardware and decided it was best to permanently shelve the server function.

| Sat 22 Oct 2016 10:53:51 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Reffub - 1 hour ago  » ...My guess is Humax and Freesat had enough problems trying to get the basic Freesat software working with the 1000s hardware and decided it was best to permanently shelve the server function.

Probably close to the reality. In 2014 I checked out the published accounts of Freesat which I recall had a 49 Million Pounds deficit. Now these numbers rarely tell the complete picture, they could have for example paid large fees to their owners BBC and ITV in that particular year. Shortly after the MD departed to be replaced by an Accountant. From that point on the focus changed from technology leadership to bringing on board new (rubbish) channels and (largely rubbish) paid-for services. This might have cleared up the accounts in the short term but will not pull in viewers in the longer term with new developments in the connected/distributed home happening every day (Sky Q for example).

| Sat 22 Oct 2016 12:12:41 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

49 million pounds deficit, that's taking non-profit to the extreme.

| Sat 22 Oct 2016 14:07:30 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.