My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Can't record program if already on iPlayer

(41 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Is there an option to change the "i" button to just display information?

Why would you want to do that? At the moment it displays the buttons described previously, the first few lines of the description and a summary of the cast. A button to show the full description is highlighted.

Because if the OK button is set to present the record etc options, its pointless having the i button replicating them, it would be far more useful to display the full information (with just one press) for the programme instead of just the first few lines.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 19:40:47 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    Because if the OK button is set to present the record etc options, its pointless having the i button replicating them, it would be far more useful to display the full information (with just one press) for the programme instead of just the first few lines.

I don't feel strongly about this; I quite like the convenience of being able to set the recording without returning to the guide. There was a time when Humax were accepting user requests for user interface changes but I suspect this has long gone.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 21:01:13 #32 |
  3. ayjay

ayjay

As a new user, (3 days old,) may I just say here, that i'm fully supportive of SSThing's stance on the absurdity of the Aura system of how to achieve various actions. Needing to press "i" to record a future programme, just because it's on the iPlayer is utterly ridiculous! I have spent 2 whole afternoons attempting to set the Aura up to switch off my TV when I switch off the Aura, with no success at all. (I have a Samsung TV with CEC activated.) The online manual is an absolute joke! The instructions are basic, not sufficiently indepth for people of a certain age, (I am approaching 79 and consider myself, relatively au fait with technology, but the Aura appears to be designed to confuse!) The instructions in the manual are excellent at telling you WHAT you can do with the box, but don't actually tell you HOW to do it! My impression of it so far is that it is an excellent machine for couch potatoes, who just want to switch on and trawl through the on-screen offerings. Having said all of this - I logged on to find out how to record a future programme when it was already on the iPlayer, and found the answer with the very first post - it's just that I should not have needed to check in the first place!@. Here endeth tonight's rant, (well, for the moment anyway!)

| Sat 8 Jan 2022 19:16:08 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

ayjay, your post is a perfect example of my point.
    It is absolutely ridiculous that a user should have to join an internet forum just to find out how to complete (what should be) a simple operation.
    Owners with plenty of previous experience, or more tech savvy and prepared to delve deeper into the settings, need to remember that there are more and more older users who just don't want to be messing about like that.
    There really should be a 'basic' mode where the box just does the obvious things expected of it, in the simplest manner.
    If 'advanced' users want to chop and change, there should be an advanced option/mode where they can tinker away to their hearts content.

| Sat 8 Jan 2022 19:45:06 #34 |
  5. ayjay

ayjay

You wouldn't by any chance be referring to perhaps having something as simplistically important as a "Settings" button on the remote, would you "SS?" (!!!)

| Sat 8 Jan 2022 20:26:48 #35 |
  6. Mars

Mars

special member

ayjay - 1 day ago  » 
    Needing to press "i" to record a future programme, just because it's on the iPlayer is utterly ridiculous!

Or you could just press record!

| Mon 10 Jan 2022 9:00:39 #36 |
  7. ayjay

ayjay

Hi Mars, Thanks for your comment, but I think you may have mis-read the specific reason for my gripe. I agree, pressing "record" is fine - if you're actually sitting watching the TV at the time. My point (and that of 'SSThing,') was that you cannot use the "Guide" to set a programme to record at a FUTURE date if that programme is already on the iPlayer - you have to find it in the "Guide," then press "i" to be able to set the recording. The only other way I've found - which I had set up initially, was to set the date and time of the programme in "Scheduled," which I considered to be even too stupid for Humax to have come up with as the correct option, which is why I'd asked the question. As I say, I found the answer I wanted with the first post, but the amount of subsequent posts regarding the subject - and so many others - are regarding the intricacies required to become a fully qualified pilot to fly the Humax Aura, compared with the simplicity of so many previous Humax boxes. (I only upgraded from a Humax Fox T2, because that didn't have CEC, to allow me to operate both the Humax and the TV from one remote.) So, £250 - and it's still not doing that properly!) Is it me I ask myself and get the answer "probably," though having read the amount of posts regarding various other things that people find difficult about "piloting" the Humax Aura, I find that "We are not alone in the universe!"

| Mon 10 Jan 2022 16:34:50 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

ayjay, have you tried this yet?

Martin Liddle - 1 mnth ago  » 

SSThing - 47 mins ago  » 
    But what happens if you press "OK" on a programme on ITV/C4/C5 (that is already available on demand)?
    Does it go straight to the relevant "on demand" service or is this "quirk" only specific to the BBC?

The first programme that I could find on a non BBC Channel with catchup available is an episode of 'Bad Girls' on Channel 20, Drama. It behaves in exactly the same way as a BBC channel with iPlayer content available.
    I have had a poke around in the settings and under Broadcast and Channel settings, I have found a setting (OK key default function) that allows the behaviour of the OK key to be changed from its default of playing streamed content if available, to opening the same page that you get to by pressing the i key. Hopefully that will keep everybody happy.

| Mon 10 Jan 2022 16:45:20 #38 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

ayjay - 15 mins ago  » 
    Hi Mars, Thanks for your comment, but I think you may have mis-read the specific reason for my gripe. I agree, pressing "record" is fine - if you're actually sitting watching the TV at the time. My point (and that of 'SSThing,') was that you cannot use the "Guide" to set a programme to record at a FUTURE date if that programme is already on the iPlayer - you have to find it in the "Guide," then press "i" to be able to set the recording. The only other way I've found - which I had set up initially, was to set the date and time of the programme in "Scheduled," which I considered to be even too stupid for Humax to have come up with as the correct option, which is why I'd asked the question. As I say, I found the answer I wanted with the first post, but the amount of subsequent posts regarding the subject - and so many others - are regarding the intricacies required to become a fully qualified pilot to fly the Humax Aura, compared with the simplicity of so many previous Humax boxes. (I only upgraded from a Humax Fox T2, because that didn't have CEC, to allow me to operate both the Humax and the TV from one remote.) So, £250 - and it's still not doing that properly!) Is it me I ask myself and get the answer "probably," though having read the amount of posts regarding various other things that people find difficult about "piloting" the Humax Aura, I find that "We are not alone in the universe!"

Have you actually tried pressing record while viewing the Guide? It works perfectly with my Aura.

| Mon 10 Jan 2022 16:51:42 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Mars, you are missing the point.
    Pressing OK in the EPG for 99% of the time brings up options one would expect (and still can if Martin's change is made). Making the OK button operate differently (when the programme is available on catchup) is counter-intuitive.

| Mon 10 Jan 2022 16:59:46 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.