My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Can't record program if already on iPlayer

(41 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 40 mins ago  » 
    So far, the original question asked, indicated that no obvious method of setting a recording (of something already in iPlayer) was possible (had it been obvious the question would not have been asked). You and phlppip suggested that the solution was to press the "i" button and when I asked for clarification regarding the use of the "OK" button you confirmed that this would take you immediately to the iPlayer instead of bringing up the options to record/remind/watch in iPlayer (as would be presented on previous models).

Correct.

Mars then posted "On my Aura, everything works as expected so you press record to record, OK to launch iplayer, and i for information." That would certainly appear to contradict your solution as it suggests that pressing the red button will set up a schedule to record something that is already available in iPlayer (unless, of course, Mars hasn't bothered to read previous posts to understand what was originally asked? It certainly hasn't made it any clearer).

As I tried to indicate in my previous post this method works and directly allows you to setup a recording as either a single recording or a series recording. The method I suggested provides those options plus the ability to set a reminder or to switch to HD (presumably only if available) or play the content via on demand.

And its not like comparing apples to oranges either. Operating/recording procedures should be easier (or at least not more convoluted) in new models.

I would argue that the designers of the FVP-5000T didn't follow your ideas in many respects. I see it as a minor quirk and fail to understand why you are making such a fuss.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 16:13:31 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

How am I making a fuss?
    A question was asked and I have pointed out that the solution is counter-intuitive (otherwise the original poster would not have needed to ask the question, clearly). Being able to easily setup a recording from the EPG is the very least the Aura should be capable of without someone having to ask for advice on the forum. Pressing "OK" in the EPG and going straight to iPlayer does not make sense as an evolution from the previous model/operating procedure.
    As I said, the return of the "i" button is a good thing, assuming that it is for additional information, but as a method for setting recordings is just plain silly.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 16:32:02 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Out of interest, what happens if you press OK (in the EPG) on a non-iPlayer programme, what options are presented?

Ignore that, you answered in an earlier quote from the manual.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 16:41:48 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

But what happens if you press "OK" on a programme on ITV/C4/C5 (that is already available on demand)?
    Does it go straight to the relevant "on demand" service or is this "quirk" only specific to the BBC?

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 16:52:50 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 47 mins ago  » 
    But what happens if you press "OK" on a programme on ITV/C4/C5 (that is already available on demand)?
    Does it go straight to the relevant "on demand" service or is this "quirk" only specific to the BBC?

The first programme that I could find on a non BBC Channel with catchup available is an episode of 'Bad Girls' on Channel 20, Drama. It behaves in exactly the same way as a BBC channel with iPlayer content available.

I have had a poke around in the settings and under Broadcast and Channel settings, I have found a setting (OK key default function) that allows the behaviour of the OK key to be changed from its default of playing streamed content if available, to opening the same page that you get to by pressing the i key. Hopefully that will keep everybody happy.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 17:52:33 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    How am I making a fuss?
    A question was asked and I have pointed out that the solution is counter-intuitive (otherwise

I think you are making a fuss because it is a minor issue with several solutions. In my view the Aura is a big step forward from the FVP-5000T in terms of ease of use. If Humax choose to fix the most obvious of the bugs, then I will be happy to say that it is a worthy successor to the HDR-FOX T2.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 17:56:31 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Perfect Martin.
    And see, this "fuss" has led to an important discovery that will be useful to many. Is this mentioned in the manual anywhere or was it just perseverance?
    Is there an option to change the "i" button to just display information?
    Perhaps you should use your experience to furtle around a bit (lot) more and write a more useful user manual.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 18:03:35 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

And out of interest, what do you consider to be the "most obvious of the bugs" that Humax need to remedy?

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 18:10:39 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    And see, this "fuss" has led to an important discovery that will be useful to many. Is this mentioned in the manual anywhere or was it just perseverance?

I had a vague recollection that I may have seen a setting when I first installed the box and had a look at all the available settings but at the time I didn't understand the significance.

Is there an option to change the "i" button to just display information?

Why would you want to do that? At the moment it displays the buttons described previously, the first few lines of the description and a summary of the cast. A button to show the full description is highlighted.

Perhaps you should use your experience to furtle around a bit (lot) more and write a more useful user manual.

I haven't got the time to spend on that.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 19:18:37 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    And out of interest, what do you consider to be the "most obvious of the bugs" that Humax need to remedy?

For me the most obvious one is an occasional problem where after doing something eg playing a recording, then when exiting, the TV screen is blank rather than playing live TV. My solution is to play a recording for a few seconds and then stop it and so far that has worked for me. I have seen other people posting here resort to other remedies such as power cycling but so far haven't needed to do that.

The other one is a problem with the skip forward function. What I saw whilst watching a time shifted recording was that when skipping forward and getting near to real time, it would suddenly jump back to a point near the start of the show (it did this several times). I have seen other reports of people who have had it skip back to the previous programme.

I have also had a couple of missed recordings but I am not sure if they were user error or a genuine problem. As I haven't had one for a while I am inclined towards the user error theory.

| Sun 5 Dec 2021 19:28:33 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.