My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital plus - how to get?

(77 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Ruling out the TV settings and the Sonos settings only leaves the Aura as the culprit.
    Based on what Barry posted (in my quote) it seems to boil down to this.
    The Aura is basically a fancy Android box and the PVR aspect is just an app (I really don't think that it's a PVR that is capable of running Android, it's an Android device that can operate as a PVR). The PVR seems to be reliant on the decoder built into the processor (the system on a chip, soc) whereas other apps (such as BT Sport) must have the decoding/codecs written into their software. If the soc doesn't fully support all the codecs and passthrough, until the Android version is updated and Humax rewrite the firmware, it looks like your method to get it to work is the only method.
    Not that it helps, but merely to explain somewhat, my Android media box was sold (about 6 years ago) as being capable of playing everything in any format. Within weeks of release, it was apparent that Kodi was unable to correctly passthrough some types of audio (Atmos being one of them) and eventually the manufacturer and Kodi blamed the soc. But some whizzkid produced an app that could run in the background and when Kodi tried to play an Atmos file, the "wrapper" (basically a third party video player app) took over and everything worked.
    Humax need to pull their finger out and either get this sorted, or make the operating system open source and I'd bet my house a solution would be available within weeks (via a custom firmware or a patch).
    You really shouldn't have to change anything in the output settings of the Aura when you change from TV to app viewing. Once it is set, your Sonos should do the work.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 17:40:46 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Thanks for the info. And I won’t be returning my aura for a replacement as the support person suggested I do!

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 18:45:31 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Ask Humax why they are convinced that a replacement will cure the issue. Because if they think a replacement will work, they will know what settings should be selected.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 19:15:08 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

There isn’t a way to put this without coming across as rude…but the support team probably are not that knowledgeable and just work from a script. e.g. please try switching it off and on again.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 20:44:50 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

At least you have sussed that out.
    (I just wanted you to call their bluff :wink:)

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 21:13:34 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Just a thought (because until you posted your other question I didn’t know what options the Aura gave), have you tried leaving the Aura on the TV setting? Because whatever is sent to the TV is then sent out via arc.

| Sat 6 Nov 2021 13:05:33 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

That sounds logical when you think about it. But…I have tried and everything is PCM stereo. e.g. freeview hd (that was 5.1 dd+) and apps on the aura.

| Sat 6 Nov 2021 13:15:44 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Even with ms12 turned off? (don't forget to reboot everything after changing this).

Because this should send unprocessed audio to the TV then straight out to the Sonos.

| Sat 6 Nov 2021 13:30:39 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

You can’t adjust this setting as it is greyed out. Only when in custom and that brings me neatly around to my other forum question which nobody has an answer to.

| Sat 6 Nov 2021 13:33:29 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Your other thread says mts2 (which I assumed was a typo for m2ts, which is a type of codec).

| Sat 6 Nov 2021 14:13:47 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.