My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failure to turn on when timer recording

(105 posts)
  1. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Blimey - amazingly poor response in terms of customer service. As stated above I called Humax main number explained the situation and asked if there was someone I could speak to about when a software update might be published. One word response "No". Not "No, sorry" or "No, we don't do that" - just "No". I have since called the company I purchased the box from who were unaware of any issues and will take the box back for refund or replacement. I think I'll get a Panasonic! R-

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 10:54:01 #91 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

The reason is probably because debugging and rewriting code is a difficult process and they are not prepared to commit to a timescale at this stage.

In my opinion, it is better than the disrerputable company's "in two or three weeks", which gets you off their backs, but has no truth in it.

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 11:09:36 #92 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

RogerB - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Blimey - amazingly poor response in terms of customer service. As stated above I called Humax main number explained the situation and asked if there was someone I could speak to about when a software update might be published. One word response "No". Not "No, sorry" or "No, we don't do that" - just "No". I have since called the company I purchased the box from who were unaware of any issues and will take the box back for refund or replacement. I think I'll get a Panasonic! R-

Panasonic Freeview Play?

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 11:12:48 #93 |
  4. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Possibly. Have just started to read up on them. R-

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 11:15:17 #94 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Malc63

I have had an FVP4000T for about 8 weeks now and have generally been pleased with it, apart from the problem of not being able to wake it up to watch it whenever it is performing a scheduled timer recording. I tried all of the suggested workarounds on this forum, but nothing seemed to make it work for me. I have a Panasonic TX-L37G10B TV.
    A few evenings ago I was looking through the TV manual looking for some inspiration and suddenly read a note that if you are connecting a set-top or cable box to the TV it should be connected to input HDMI1. I already had a Panasonic home cinema system and DVD recorder connected to HDMI1 & HDMI2 and had connected the 4000T to HDMI3. As the Humax was already making a timer recording, I decided to try changing the inputs round, so that it was connected to HDMI1 instead of HDMI3. I gingerly pressed the ON button on the 4000T remote and hey presto, the picture and sound suddenly appeared on the TV. I have since tried waking it up during timer recordings on several occasions and it has worked every time.
    I have the Viera Link on the TV set to ON, as it has some useful features, when connected to the home cinema system in particular. I have a CEC-free adapter connected to the 4000T HDMI cable, so that it does not keep turning the TV on or off.
    If you have a Panasonic TV and have experienced similar problems, this may be the answer.

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 16:26:46 #95 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Is HDMI1 labelled "EC"?

A 2008 comment on digital spy says:

On Pannys EC stands for External Control - this means that the panel is in a mode which allows for automatic source switching. So, for example, on my PX70 if I'm watching SkyHD on HDMI1 I can turn on the DVD player connected to AV2 and the panel will automatically switch to AV2 - turn the player off and it switches back to HDMI1. (This is seperate to the Viera Link.)

Edit. Can't find any explanation from Panasonic about this "EC" feature, but it does appear from various posts that a device connected to "EC/HDMI" (apparently this is always HDMI1) changes the source to HDMI1 when it's switched on. If this is correct, clearly there would be a possibility that the source would keep being auto-switched away from the Humax, either by the EC feature or by Viera.

But it doesn't explain why the Humax only failed to come out of standby when recording.

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 16:54:06 #96 |
  7. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Just has a call from the technical chap of the supplier I got the Humax from who has suggested disabling the default power settings (HOME>SETTINGS>SYSTEM SETTINGS>POWER MANAGEMENT) by making both AUTO POWER DOWN and POWER SAVING IN STANDBY = OFF. I've changed mine and offer this advice to anyone else who has this issue. I'll let you know how I get on. R-

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 17:45:47 #97 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Malc63

Yes, it does switch the TV over to AV and display the letters EC/ in front of the HDMI1 label, if you turn the 4000T on when the TV is already on. This did not happen when it was connected to HDMI3.

Also, when recording on HDMI3 it stated that I had a 1080p input and I could view the volume control slider, but not any picture or sound. It would then be locked up with the blue light on and needed to be re-booted when the recording was complete.

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 17:51:46 #98 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Malc63 - 5 hours ago  » 
    Yes, it does switch the TV over to AV and display the letters EC/ in front of the HDMI1 label, if you turn the 4000T on when the TV is already on. This did not happen when it was connected to HDMI3.
    Also, when recording on HDMI3 it stated that I had a 1080p input and I could view the volume control slider, but not any picture or sound. It would then be locked up with the blue light on and needed to be re-booted when the recording was complete.

It's been that way on the Panasonic's for years, at least on the older models. I don't think it's the case any more though, certainly not on my latest model. It's a proprietary input peculiar to Panasonic. There is a downside to this though as happened with me on my last Panasonic Plasma PX60 - the chip that controls that port can and does fail and it did on mine. Getting a repair was both tricky and costly so I didn't bother.

Still by switching the HDMI input on when it is selected solves your problem.

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 23:52:09 #99 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

My 4000T 1Tb received a new firmware update sometime yesterday. The firmware is now Software version UKTFAE 1.00.73, Loader version 1.03 Dated 11 Jan 2106.

On limited testing since then, the new version appears to have resolved the turn-on issue at least for my TV, a Sony KDL 32EX503. And I no longer need my work-around described in post #33 of a RCA/Scart cable connected as well as the HDMI cable.

On my set up I have (a) HDMI-CEC (ie Sony Sync or Panasonic Viera Link) switched to ON on the TV (b) the power save option on the FVP switched to OFF.

Now in all 3 FVP off states, the FVP will turn on and turn on the TV (the 3 states being (i) FVP off (ii) FVP off but recording (iii) FVP off but in the 10-15mins before a recording is due to start when the FVP is in some "pre-recording mode" waiting for the program start signal from the broadcaster).

I have not noticed any other changes to the operation of the FVP - in particular the Genre search on the Schedule appears still to be limited to the next 6 or so hours.

| Tue 2 Feb 2016 17:35:45 #100 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.