My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failure to turn on when timer recording

(105 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Alex4000 - 4 days ago  » 
    An update on my parallel HDMI/RCA work around described in post #33
    Over the Christmas period the 4000T was heavily used (!) for recording and switched on numerous times when a recording was already in progress. On almost all occasions the work around ensured that the 4000T would switch on for live viewing.
    There have been very very few occasions when it would not. These appear to happen if we try to turn on the 4000T as a recording is starting or in the few minutes after. Give it a further few minutes and the 4000T will then turn on for live viewing.
    What I have found interesting however is when the 4000T would not turn on, the following proceedure also remedied the problem immediately:

Turn on TV
      Switch TV's input to its own internal turner (Ie. not HDMI or scart)
      Turn on 4000T

I suspect the reason as to why it works by switching the TV on first is because the TV is switching inputs by your manual intervention. When I had trouble with my 2000T originally when using a HDMI hub it would always work if I selected TV then HDMI 2 on my Panasonic TV.

It would not work when using the hub if it was a timed event. Fortunately taking the HDMI hub out of the equation eventually solved the issue in any event.

Viera Link really needs to be switched off. I have had this on various Panasonic devices over the years and have always found it to be an irritant rather than an aide.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 15:07:20 #81 |
  2. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Well, that was a first. Last night turned everything on expecting to try the workaround and the TV came on correctly with the Humax box still showing a red light - and we watched TV all night with the red light on! I think I will call the supplier tomorrow to see where I stand with a return for refund/replacement. Something is definitely not right here. Shame, I have always had Humax boxes but feel Humax have gone awry with the 4000T. R-

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 10:35:29 #82 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Can I suggest you read the manual! The red light comes on when it is recording, so this means the box was recording something.

Having the same colour light mean two different things is an error Humax is unlikely to repeat in a future box.

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:21:45 #83 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

We are all blaming Humax for this problem but is is not impossible that the problem lies in the TVs which are sending incorrect data across the HDMI switch on/switch off link.

I don't judge Humax because it has happened - I shall judge them by whether they fix it. I thought they did rather well with the "sluggish remote control" on the 9200T when they released an update making it much better, albeit the CPU size prevented them fixing it completely, well after the 9200T was obsolete.

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:24:29 #84 |
  5. RogerB

RogerB

special member

I have no issue with you suggesting anything John. We were not recording at all last evening. I should have said that in the previous post. R-

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:40:08 #85 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

RogerB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, that was a first. Last night turned everything on expecting to try the workaround and the TV came on correctly with the Humax box still showing a red light - and we watched TV all night with the red light on! I think I will call the supplier tomorrow to see where I stand with a return for refund/replacement. Something is definitely not right here.

Indeed. Presumably it's still under warranty so you shouldn't have a problem getting it replaced. You could go straight to Humax - they have a very efficient box-replacement procedure.

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:43:33 #86 |
  7. RogerB

RogerB

special member

Thanks James - perhaps that option will be discussed when I call them tomorrow? R-

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 11:52:07 #87 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JohnH77 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Can I suggest you read the manual! The red light comes on when it is recording, so this means the box was recording something.
    Having the same colour light mean two different things is an error Humax is unlikely to repeat in a future box.

How do you work that out? It is part of the 2000T operation and this model precedes the FVP4000T. They didn't learn then and haven't done now so why should the future be any different?

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 15:53:13 #88 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

How do you work that out? It is part of the 2000T operation ...

Ah! I was still on 9200T and had not advanced as far as the 2000T. We need to whinge louder at Humax!

| Sun 10 Jan 2016 17:41:29 #89 |
  10. RogerB

RogerB

special member

My call to Humax has produced no new information. The issue is known and a solution is being worked on. There is no date for this. I was offered a replacement box but there was no suggestion that it would behave any differently. A refund has to be claimed from the supplier - which was not Humax directly. I will make another call to Humax themselves - as opposed to tech support - and feed back. R-

| Mon 11 Jan 2016 10:18:41 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.