My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failure to turn on when timer recording

(105 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Faust - 53 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not sure what is going on at Humax Towers. However, the 4000T does appear to be experiencing more problems than I have seen for a long time in a product release of this type (if the current crop of posts are anything to go by).

I would agree to an extent.

Coincidence that the driving force in getting things done on the technical and support side left the company just as this product was launched?

My opinion - I think not a coincidence.

| Sat 2 Jan 2016 13:28:15 #71 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Barry - 2 hours ago  » 

Faust - 53 minutes ago  » 
    I'm not sure what is going on at Humax Towers. However, the 4000T does appear to be experiencing more problems than I have seen for a long time in a product release of this type (if the current crop of posts are anything to go by).

I would agree to an extent.
    Coincidence that the driving force in getting things done on the technical and support side left the company just as this product was launched?
    My opinion - I think not a coincidence.

This is the sort of thing that happens when the bean counters are in charge rather than the guys who know the products.

Sad really because it takes a very long time to build up a great reputation and a very short time to destroy it.

| Sat 2 Jan 2016 15:38:09 #72 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Nothing to do with bean counters on this occasion.

| Sat 2 Jan 2016 15:40:39 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

An update on my parallel HDMI/RCA work around described in post #33

Over the Christmas period the 4000T was heavily used (!) for recording and switched on numerous times when a recording was already in progress. On almost all occasions the work around ensured that the 4000T would switch on for live viewing.

There have been very very few occasions when it would not. These appear to happen if we try to turn on the 4000T as a recording is starting or in the few minutes after. Give it a further few minutes and the 4000T will then turn on for live viewing.

What I have found interesting however is when the 4000T would not turn on, the following proceedure also remedied the problem immediately:

Turn on TV
      Switch TV's input to its own internal turner (Ie. not HDMI or scart)
      Turn on 4000T

| Tue 5 Jan 2016 10:29:22 #74 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Alex4000

Excellent analysis! My TV is similarly a Panasonic Viera and I have had problems with HDMI (though I am not usually recording when I switch on in the evening) when I have the Viera Link = ON (ie the HDMI controls are activated).

I am in communication with Humax about mine and have sent your diagnosis and workaround to Humax support and pointed Humax to the forum.

My remote control seems very fast. I also wonder if I am having finger trouble by keeping the Power ON button on the remote control pressed for too long, so the PVR comes ON and is promptly switched OFF. If I press and hold a digit, or press and hold GUIDE, the repeats get sent very quickly.

| Tue 5 Jan 2016 12:16:52 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

gthemean

I'm having this booting up when recording problem as well with a Toshiba TV. I hope they can sort this out soon, the whole PVR seems clunky could do with an update.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 0:03:05 #76 |
  7. RogerB

RogerB

special member

My TV is a Toshiba also (Regza, if it makes any difference). Will call Humax support next week and in the meantime try the workaround in post #74 above. Thanks JohnH77 for the steer. R-

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 12:31:43 #77 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Alex4000 - 4 days ago  » 
    ..........What I have found interesting however is when the 4000T would not turn on, the following proceedure also remedied the problem immediately:

Turn on TV
      Switch TV's input to its own internal turner (Ie. not HDMI or scart)
      Turn on 4000T

I would try disabling HDMI-CEC on the TV.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 12:40:19 #78 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago
    I would try disabling
    HDMI-CEC on the TV.

I tried that originally on advice from Humax and it made no difference with just an HDMI cable connection. The parallel HDMI/RCA connection that gets my FVP and Sony TV to co-operate (post #33) requires HDMI-CEC to be enabled. With it disabled the work-around doesn't work! I know that may make no sense, but then neither does the parallel HDMI/RCA solution.

I suspect that Humax's implementation of the HDMI handshake may just have a "timer" issue when the FVP is recording in standby; so that when it sends the handshake request to the TV it doesn't wait long enough (or at all!) for the TV to respond with its reply. That would also explain why the FVP works with some TV models - they respond "in time". With HDMI-CEC enabled, the FVP is also sending a "turn-on" instruction to the TV, perhaps extending the time for the TV to subsequently reply the the HDMI handshake request.

All speculation!

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 14:13:06 #79 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I had a similar problem with my HDR-1000S and my Philips TV.
    While I did end up disabling HDMI-CEC. I did observe that the TV took some time to boot-up and wondered if the HDR-1000S was sending the handshake before the TV was ready to respond. Always powering on the TV even just 5 seconds before the Humax seemed to solve the problem.

It would seem that even different Philips TV's behave differently. Barry's HDR-1000S had no problems at all with his, newer Philips with HDMI-CEC enabled.

| Sat 9 Jan 2016 14:48:37 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.