My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failure to turn on when timer recording

(105 posts)
  1. Gazman

Gazman

Exactly the same problems as mine with my Panasonic TV ! Unplugging the box is becoming daily routine....Very annoying. I have emailed to Humax support and still not solved but awaiting for the firmware upgrade

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 13:54:03 #31 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Try turning off HDMI-CEC on your TV (VIERA Link in Panasonic talk)

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 15:27:37 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

After many trials over that last few days, I believe Graham's suggestion that the HDCP handshake (or HDMI handshake) is failing is at the route of the problem (see Graham's post #2 in this thread). As I understand it, when the 4000T (or indeed any other HDMI source) is turned on, it needs to go through a High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection "handshake" with the display device. This is to ensure that the display device is or will act 'dumb' and can't be used to copy the media. If the handshake fails, then no video or audio is output to the TV.

My trials revolve around a Sony KDL 32EX503 (around 4 years old - launched 2010) and a new FVP 4000T 1Tb. The consistent results I get in relation to turning on when timer recording as active are as follows:

[1] With HDMI-CEC (ie Sony Sync or Panasonic Viera Link) OFF The 4000T will turn on and output video and audio during a recording if the 4000T was turned off less than 40-45 mins before the recording was due to start.

[2] With HDMI-CEC OFF If the 4000T was turned off more than 40-45 mins before the recording was due to start, the 4000T will not output video or audio if an attempt is made to turn it on during the 20 mins period before the recording (when it is waiting for the program to start) or to turn it on when the recording is in progress. The 40-45 mins is not exact. The only way here is to (a) wait for the recording to finish, when it will then turn on or (b) abandon the recording by pulling out power cable, waiting a few secs, re-insert power cable and reboot.

[3] With HDMI-CEC ON (ie. so that 4000T can control TV on/off and TV input selection) Starting with both TV and 4000T off then, when a recording is in progress or about to start, using only the 4000T remote sometimes the 4000T and TV will both come on to display the 4000T video and audio and sometime they won't. I haven't yet identified a consistent circumstance that can predict a turn on failure.

[4] With HDMI-CEC ON If in addition to connecting the TV and 4000T with an HDMI cable, I have tried with the 4000T's A/V outputs (ie. the yellow, red and white RCA sockets) connected to a scart input on the TV (with a suitable RCA/Scart cable) at the same time as the HDMI cable. In this set-up, from a TV/4000T off state but with the 4000T recording (or in the 20mins waiting before) both box and TV will reliably turn on and display video and audio. When they turn on, the TV takes its input from the HDMI and not the A/V (albeit I can manually switch to the A/V for the lower quality picture ie. 560 rather than 1080p).

So for my set-up, having the A/V connection in parallel with the HDMI (ie. both cables connected at the same time) is currently giving me a work around for the problem. Yippee - I can turn on the TV and 4000T when the latter is recording! I hope this might help others here.

I suspect the 40-45 mins I mention in [1] and [2] may be connected to the 4000T remembering a recent handshake and not requiring it to be repeated if the box has only recently been turned off (there are mentions on Google searches of turning things off for 10 mins or so where there has been a HDCP handshake failure - presumably to allow memories to clear down).

I suspect that the fact that I can get it to work with HDMI-CEC turned on (albeit only reliably with a parallel A/V connection) must be something to do with the 4000T being programmed to wait for a suitable response from the TV when the 4000T is turning the TV on itself. I am however stumped as to why the parallel connection should make a scrap of difference to the success of any HDCP handshake. But it does for me!

I suspect that without HDMI-CEC turned on, the 4000T is not waiting long enough for the HDCP handshake response from the TV and therefore prevents any video or audio output (on both HDMI and A/V). This is a pity since it is affecting Sony and Panasonic TV owners - its not as if they are obscure brands!

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 16:32:48 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

gorses

For information my 4000T is plugged into a 9 year old Sony KDL-40W2000. It does not have CEC.

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 16:38:58 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

gorses

Alex,

Detailed post thanks for info.
    Personally I suspect the PVR isn't even asking for a handshake. Firmware bug.

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 16:45:39 #35 |
  6. Gazman

Gazman

I did switch off the link for a few days but made no difference

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 17:20:24 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

protos55

Has anybody spoken or had a reply from Humax Support regarding this issue? I emailed them 10 days ago, so far heard nothing.

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 17:51:51 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dmj1

I am also experiencing problems with being unable to turn on my Humax 4000T when it's recording. My partner phoned and spoke to Humax this morning and they did admit that they were aware of the problem and they were working on a fix but gave no indication as to when this is likely to happen. Unsure whether to return the unit to Richer Sounds or wait and see. I have also found its not just a question of waiting for the recording to end but I still have to turn off at the socket as the unit becomes 'locked up'

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 20:31:12 #38 |
  9. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

It's been 10 years since I bought my first 9200T and my latest is on its last legs so I thought it was time for a new one, especially as the HD TV I am buying doesn't have a Scart socket.

I have ordered a 1TB FVP 4000T, but after reading this thread I am starting to have second thoughts and wondering whether I should cancel my order.

I can cope with minor gripes, like the lack of a dedicated skip button, and I'm not that interested in the internet features, my new TV will have those, I just wanted an HD box with more storage than my 9200, and the FVP 400T with it's ability to record 4 channels at once seemed to fit the bill.

But the prospect of being unable to switch the box on and use it if it is already recording all those channels is off-putting to say the least. Especially as the TV I have on order, the Samsung UE48J6300AK, doesn't have a Scart socket, so I can't even use Alex4000's work around.

Or maybe I have missed something and there is another way to access the box from standby when it is recording? I would love for that to be the case as I was looking forward to my new setup.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:22:21 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Stephenesque - 17 minutes ago  » 
    the Samsung UE48J6300AK, doesn't have a Scart socket, so I can't even use Alex4000's work around.

The Samsung UE48J6300AK does have component input. To do the equivalant of Alex4000 you would connect using a normal red, yellow, white RCA cable instead of an RCA to SCART adapter cable.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:44:04 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.