My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Failure to turn on when timer recording

(105 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 6 minutes ago  » 

Stephenesque - 17 minutes ago  » 
    the Samsung UE48J6300AK, doesn't have a Scart socket, so I can't even use Alex4000's work around.

The Samsung UE48J6300AK does have component input. To do the equivalant of Alex4000 you would connect using a normal red, yellow, white RCA cable instead of an RCA to SCART adapter cable.

Not sure how component comes into it. Composite video input is required, which on many TV's is provided by a compact scart adaptor, which additionally provide component YPrPb video and analogue audio, as well as composite. Component is capable of displaying HD, composite most definitely is not. Component normally uses 3 video RCA connections plus 2 for stereo audio.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:55:51 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 6 minutes ago  » 

the Samsung UE48J6300AK, doesn't have a Scart socket, so I can't even use Alex4000's work around.

The Samsung UE48J6300AK does have component input. To do the equivalant of Alex4000 you would connect using a normal red, yellow, white RCA cable instead of an RCA to SCART adapter cable.

Not sure how component comes into it. Composite video input is required, which on many TV's is provided by a compact scart adaptor, which additionally provide component YPrPb video and analogue audio, as well as composite. Component is capable of displaying HD, composite most definitely is not. Component normally uses 3 video RCA connections plus 2 for stereo audio.

It looks like you have not actually read ALex4000's solution. He is using a component to SCART adapter. Alex4000 does not say anything about watching any sort of programme using the connection itself other than it is possible!

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 20:16:23 #42 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Luke - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 16 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 6 minutes ago  » 

It looks like you have not actually read ALex4000's solution. He is using a component to SCART adapter. Alex4000 does not say anything about watching any sort of programme using the connection itself other than it is possible!

A component to scart adaptor only works if the scart socket on the original device is capable of outputting component from the scart socket. This uses the the RGB scart pins allocated from the original scart spec plus the composite video pin for synch. The only box I ever had capable of using this was a Topfield PVR, It was useful to connect a Topfield PVR to a AV receiver with upscaling to HDMI. To select component output requires the box to switch from RGB to component as the pin allocation precludes both at the same time, No adaptor can convert a standard scart to component. An active (powered) converter is required to convert RGB to component.

EG

http://www.js-technology.com/store/product.php?id_product=14

A Nintendo Wii can output component (at 480P) which makes a significant difference to the 480i output,

Here's the lead, note the four video connections.

http://www.tmart.com/Component-HDTV-High-Definition-Cable-for-Nintendo-Wii_p84181.html?cc=GBP&fixed_price=hk_intl&gclid=CL__7_7KtskCFQLkwgodTJkBGw

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 22:29:41 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Graham, I am not denying anything you saying inpost #43 but what you are still not addressing your comments to Alex4000's post of #33 which brought up the subject of component and explained why it was being brought up. Also Alex4000s possible solution does not involve a SCART socket in the original device as the original device is the FVP-4000T which has no SCART socket.

Alex believes he may have found a way of making the FVP-4000T more frequently have a successful handshake with a TV.
    Post #33 can be found here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/failure-to-turn-on-when-timer-recording/page/4#post-42624

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 22:58:25 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alex4000

Just to confirm, having the composite video and left/right audio rca output sockets of the FVP (the yellow, white and red ones) connected with a RCA composite to scart cable (Google "scart to composite cable" for examples) to a scart input on the TV gets around the problem (at least for me!). The composite to scart cables can be only be used for a signal in one direction, so the switch on the cable needs to be the correct way for composite to scart (rather than scart to composite).

Yes, I can also watch the composite video (and audio) output from the FVP on the TV. I don't as it's at the lower video quality of 576 lines, or maybe 720p (ie. the same as the older 9200T). I also don't need to as the presence of this parallel connection enables a working HDMI link.

There is no obvious reason why having the composite connection as well as the hdmi connection makes my system work. However over the last few days it has turned on reliably when recording - each time turning the TV on and automatically turning the TV to the correct HDMI input [note I need HDMI-CEC control (ie. Sony Sync or Panny Viera Link) switched on as part of my work round]. I can only assume this parallel connection is causing some handshake problem to be avoided.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 23:17:45 #45 |
  6. prking

prking

Luke - 9 hours ago  » 
    Graham, I am not denying anything you saying inpost #43 but what you are still not addressing your comments to Alex4000's post of #33 which brought up the subject of component and explained why it was being brought up. Also Alex4000s possible solution does not involve a SCART socket in the original device as the original device is the FVP-4000T which has no SCART socket.
    Alex believes he may have found a way of making the FVP-4000T more frequently have a successful handshake with a TV.
    Post #33 can be found here https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/failure-to-turn-on-when-timer-recording/page/4#post-42624

Surely he is talking about composite not component?

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 8:26:57 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

prking - 35 minutes ago  » 

Luke - 9 hours ago  » 
    Surely he is talking about composite not component?

Yes, a typo on my part. The FVP-4000t has not got component.
    I hope you are saying that tongue in cheek!

Alex4000 cleared everything up in his post of #45, to clarify that it was composite and it was only using it try to help establish the HDMI connection.

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 9:08:28 #47 |
  8. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

Thanks for the replies.

I have been thinking about the way I use the 9200T and have come to the conclusion that this 'startup while recording' issue won't affect me very often.

The earliest TV recording in my current schedule is Jekyll & Hyde at 7pm and, with the exception of Desert Island Discs every Sunday, I rarely record anything before that time.

90% of my viewing is pre-recorded, and I usually bring the box out of standby around 3pm to watch one of these recordings and then leave it on until I go to bed even if the TV itself isn't on.

But, just to get things straight if I find that this isn't practical with the 4000T, (I've seen it reported that it can get very hot, although I'm not sure if this is just when it's being used for catch-up which I plan on doing with the TV), if I attach red, white and yellow cables to the Humax and the TV, neither of which have Scart sockets, the 4000T will come out of standby?

Or alternatively, I set the On Timer to bring the box out of standby at a specific time each day, to cover me for the times I'm not there to do it before recordings start?

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 10:58:58 #48 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Alex4000 - 11 hours ago  » 
    Just to confirm, having the composite video and left/right audio rca output sockets of the FVP (the yellow, white and red ones) connected with a RCA composite to scart cable (Google "scart to composite cable" for examples) to a scart input on the TV gets around the problem (at least for me!). The composite to scart cables can be only be used for a signal in one direction, so the switch on the cable needs to be the correct way for composite to scart (rather than scart to composite).
    Yes, I can also watch the composite video (and audio) output from the FVP on the TV. I don't as it's at the lower video quality of 576 lines, or maybe 720p (ie. the same as the older 9200T). I also don't need to as the presence of this parallel connection enables a working HDMI link.
    There is no obvious reason why having the composite connection as well as the hdmi connection makes my system work. However over the last few days it has turned on reliably when recording - each time turning the TV on and automatically turning the TV to the correct HDMI input [note I need HDMI-CEC control (ie. Sony Sync or Panny Viera Link) switched on as part of my work round]. I can only assume this parallel connection is causing some handshake problem to be avoided.

Composite (CVBS - Composite Video Blanking and Synch) is only capable of 480/576i output. It's the lowest quality video connection as combining luminance and chrominance creates video artefacts like the shimmering effect you see on say fabrics with a fine mesh. It's the system used to record Video on a standard VHS recorder.

One step up from composite is separating the luminance and chrominance, this is known as S-Video and used in S-VHS/Hi 8 video recorders.

Component is an entirely different animal, it's related to RGB, and is used to transmit digital TV and on DVD's. Using component rather than RGB allows a simple form of compression by reducing the number of bits required for the colour space from 24 bits to 16. It's HD capable and was the only way to get HD on the original HD TV's which predated HDMI and it's built in copy protection.

RGB can be losslessly converted to component, but it requires an active powered device. It cannot be done by using a simple adaptor.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 11:07:47 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

fabia

I am having the same problem, not coming out of standby if recording.Phoned Humax this afternoon and was informed that they were aware of the problem with some TV's.I was asked for the make of my TV (Samsung) and was then advised to turn off the HDMI CEC in the TV settings menu and assured this would cure problem.
    I told the person I spoke to about this Forum post and suggested that Humax should post some advice here.
    Have just followed their advice -and it has not worked !There seems to be no doubt that therered is a problem with this product and if Humax cannot fix it they should recall them and refund our costs.
    Fabia

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 21:35:22 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.