My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Freeview Play Not Working on ITV and Channel 4

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaeger

I thought ITV hub isn't in HD unless on subscription? Isn't this why the back EPG doesn't show an on-demand option on ITV HD on SD.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 0:33:32 #11 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

I would also suggest that to win friends and influence people, or more directly, hope that they will answer your questions, that you reply to their questions with a valid answer and do not suggest they 'Go Google' even if it is preceded by "I respectively request".

I suspect that the person who you told to Go Goggle has forgotten more stuff than you know as demonstrated by your "Freeview play still don't work" total lack of clarity in exactly what the problem is with your box.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 0:41:50 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

jaeger - 8 hours ago  » 
    I thought ITV hub isn't in HD unless on subscription? Isn't this why the back EPG doesn't show an on-demand option on ITV HD on SD.

That's a very good theory and comparing this mornings SD and HD backward epg does indeed show the "on demand" icon on some ITV and C4 programs but only on the SD version.
    Freeview Play was marketed as the all singing/all dancing terrestrial competition to the likes of Sky and Virgin and the suggestion certainly was that rollback epg and playback was going to be available for all channels. I have no doubt that some online or in store sales people are still selling it on this capability which unfortunately has never fully materialised.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 8:51:45 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ITV-HD has backwards entries on a 2nd Generation Freesat+ smart box. I have to ask if they can create the IP data stream for freesat why they can't provide the same data to a FVP platform device ?

Currently has 06:00 Good Morning Britain 03:00 Monster Carp and 00:40 Bancroft.

Of course Channel 4-HD and All 4 is absent from Freesat devices.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 10:39:46 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Graham, I am wondering if you can check something please?
    My LG is 5 years old and not Freeview Play certified, so no rollback in the EPG.
    Is yours compatible, seeing as it's a recent model?
    If it is, does it display the "on demand" icons in ITV HD or C4 HD? If it does, it would then suggest that the issue is poor implementation of FP on the 4000t/5000t (which would be of no surprise).
    Thanks.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 12:00:23 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

thedoctor - 14 hours ago  » 
    But I when I select, say, This Morning on ITV, it does not give me the option to "Watch Via On Demand". It should but it doesn't. I know it should because I can check on ITV's website.

The implementation of the rollback epg with a fully functional playback of everything has never happened, even on the BBC and C5 there are gaps.
    What you are experiencing via the ITV website (ITV Hub) and then selecting "TV Guide" is a completely different service. It is entirely based online and in no way connected to the broadcast epg. Rolling back on The Hub will give you a multitude of programs (but not everything) that can be played on demand. If it's turquoise it can be played, otherwise not.
    So, thedoctor I am not sure whether this confusion is just a misunderstanding on your part as to the actual functions available on the 4000t/5000t (entirely understandable based on past promises and declarations made over the years) or whether you have been specifically mislead by a salesperson?

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 13:27:53 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

When I refer to "The Hub" in the post immediately before this one, I am not referring to the "ITV Hub" app on the Humax, I am referring to the one available online that is accessed via a tablet/smartphone/pc.
    Even the app on the Humax does not appear to provide any epg. There is plenty of content but it is not in chronological order.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 13:39:17 #17 |
  8. thedoctor

thedoctor

prking - 16 hours ago  » 

thedoctor - 52 mins ago  » 
    Wow.
    Ok.
    If I go back in time on the EPG I can select and play programmes from BBC and channel 5. This is done through the "Watch Via On Demand" option presented after selecting the programme through the EPG. This is known as "Freeview Play" for those who don't know.
    But I when I select, say, This Morning on ITV, it does not give me the option to "Watch Via On Demand". It should but it doesn't. I know it should because I can check on ITV's website.

That's not what Freeview Play is.
    You are referring to On Demand. Looking at your screenshot, I think the issue is that ITV and C4,don't offer HD channels OnDemand.(eg channels 103 etc) So the you'll need to change to the SD versions (channel 3) for OnDemand to work.

It is what Freeview Play is (i.e. on demand via the EPG). But thanks for clarifying the HD/SD issue. You are indeed right that the Freeview play symbol appears on the SD channels. Thank you for solving my query!

"Catch-up TV available directly from the TV Guide" https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/what-is-freeview-play

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 16:01:06 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That link is the perfect example of the misleading way it was/is marketed.
    There was a lot more when it was announced that made it look like everything was going to be available via the EPG and rollback.
    No doubt one day, it will be like that but just not in the near future.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 17:12:18 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

I think the confusion here was caused by a somewhat loose usage of the term "On Demand" by the Freeview web site. I suspect that to most people that means the services provided by BBC, ITV, Ch4 and Ch5.

However, Freeview Play also has other streamed video services from the likes of Netflix, YouTube, UKTV and CBS.

| Thu 19 Dec 2019 17:21:15 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.