My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T will not "activate" with remote control

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

The FVP-4000t is sitting there in standby, with its red LED on. It isn't even recording - it is just sitting quietly there minding its own business.

I click the red button on the remote control expecting - ever the optimist! - that it will spring into life so that I can watch something. I must have offended deeply in the short time we have known each other because it obviously sees me coming and steadfastly refuses to activate and the TV screen remains black all over. It stares at me balefully with its evil red eye and I am sure it is saying Gotcha! Pressing channel buttons or channel up/down or home has no effect - it ignores all of them. Multiple presses of the red button are similarly ignored. I say "please, please, pretty please, come ON" but it ignores all my entreaties.

BUT, when I press the remote control's volume up/down button, or the volume + / - button on the box itself, the Humax volume bar displays on screen, and it goes up and down as expected. Note this is the Humax volume bar, not the TV's volume bar.

So, if the Humax is "on" enough for the Humax volume bar to be displayed on the screen, why isn't it "on" enough to show me a programme or for the Home or other buttons to work? It is not a case of "it's recording multiple channels and there are no tuners left" or "you are on a BBC Red Button screen which is black" - it's as dead as John Cleese's parrot and has clearly shuffled off this mortal coil.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please share your pearls of wisdom with me. The only cure I have discovered so far is powering it OFF and ON, when I get the Humax splash screen and it reboots and works as normal.

| Tue 29 Dec 2015 19:31:19 #1 |
  2. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Sounds similar to that which is described in this thread
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/stuck-in-stand-by and this
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/failure-to-turn-on-when-timer-recording though you say it is not recording

| Wed 30 Dec 2015 19:26:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Humax Support has advised me to connect via RCA and unplug the HDMI cable. This may be because the HDMI protocol allows "turn on" and "turn off" signals to be sent to equipment and it could be that Humax wants to be certain that the TV is not interfering with the Humax via the HDMI link. Note how, with HDMI, when you switch on the Humax, the TV comes on a few seconds later.

I was initially concerned that "grotty old analogue RCA" would be nowhere as good as "shiny new digital HDMI" but, while I haven't done any serious testing, I did come across lots of posts like HDMI vs. Component - What's The Difference? which suggest that RCA can be every bit as good as HDMI and where you have long cables, a lot better.

| Thu 31 Dec 2015 19:23:25 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

Thanks to grahamlthompson for pointing out the difference between composite and component. wiki lists them all at List of video connectors

My TV (Panasonic Viera) actually has a "composite" (1 x yellow + L/R audio), which I am now using for the Humax; and "component" (1 x red Pr/Cr, 1 x blue Pb/Cb, 1 x green Y) input.

The composite signal seems much softer that the HDMI which I guess is because it has lost a lot of high frequency stuff.

As to the problem - I have unplugged the HDMI cable but it still happened last night, but with subtle differences.

The Humax was sitting in standby not recording. Press Red power button. Red light goes out for a moment, then comes back on. Same thing for the next 3 or 4 presses. But then it suddenly comes on. While it was "not coming on" the volume control bars did not appear.

| Fri 1 Jan 2016 11:23:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

The Humax is

Model Name: FVP-4000T
    S/w version: UKTFAE 1.00.63
    Loader version: UKTFAE 1.03
    System ID: 9010.7D31
    Update date: 16 Oct 2015

| Fri 1 Jan 2016 11:28:25 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

See post 62 by fabia in Failure to turn on when timer recording which has an email from Humax saying
    "Thank you for contacting Humax.
    As discussed on the phone this is an email as requested. There is a current issue with our FVP model which is causing the unit not to boot up when it has been recording in standby. To enable use of this product when this occurs it requires a switch off at the mains. We are currently investigating this issue and hope to release a software update in the near future."

Note it says "when it has been recording in standby".

This may be what I am getting occasionally as I record a lot in standby.

Occasionally? It's quite intermittent - about 1 activate in 10.

| Sat 2 Jan 2016 8:13:10 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.