My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T Disappointment

(48 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jumping forward on Live TV is impossible. You can only pause or go backwards. You can then jump forward but you are longer viewing Live TV.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 13:05:13 #21 |
  2. Soloist

Soloist

Graham, on my previous FoxT2 I was often watching live TV but behind. In those instances it was possible to jump forward. This was quite useful in avoiding the commercials. But I know what you mean.
    Regards, Soloist.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 13:10:38 #22 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To use jump on live tv you have to display the timebar first eg press play button then arrow for desired jump - you have to be quick as timebar is only displayed for approx. 3 seconds.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 13:23:14 #23 |
  4. Soloist

Soloist

Barry, thank you. I'll try it.
    Regards, Soloist.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 13:25:44 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Soloist - 18 minutes ago  » 
    Graham, on my previous FoxT2 I was often watching live TV but behind. In those instances it was possible to jump forward. This was quite useful in avoiding the commercials. But I know what you mean.
    Regards, Soloist.

If you are behind real time how can you be watching live TV ? You are actually watching a recording, just the same as if you start watching a recording 30 seconds or so after it started (Chasing Playback).

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 13:31:54 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

Soloist - 2 hours ago  » Anyone coming from the Fox T2 or similar format models will be disappointed with this latest 5000T. Surely the purpose of bringing out a new model is to incorporate improvements?

On the contrary, expecting new models to "incorporate improvements" and worse still, daring to compare them with old models is not only peverse, it's downright "ridiculous", as no less a luminary tham Barry scolded when I also pointed out that Humax are going backwards in some respects.

Barry - 1 month ago  » 
    Comparing the Freeview play models - FVP 4000/5000T with earlier models, especially SD only models is to be honest ridiculous!

So there!

Comparing new models with old may be how you, me and 99.9% of other users measure progress (or its absence) - but it's not a method that finds favour here.

Now, it's true that I was comparing the design and lamentable slowness of the woefully underpowered 5000T with the excellent SD PVR9150T I had before, but the fact that a PVR is SD or HD has nothing whatever to do with whether its design is intelligent and ergonomic, which, as you point out, the 5000T's certainly isn't.

Like you, I've often wondered what was going through the designer's head when he located the mute and recorded program buttons in such inaccessible places. I can only conclude that he reasoned that since the recorded program button seldom works anyway, it makes little difference where it's located.

The logical steps by which he arrived at the LED's placement are even more baffling but, as I wrote elsewhere, when you have forum threads seriously discussing whether placing white card or white paper under the LED is the best way to make it visible:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/make-the-onoffrecording-led-easier-to-see

something is obviously very wrong indeed.

I listed my own pet peeves here:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/playing-recorded-programmmes-in-the-5000t

In fairness I should say that I bought another Humax because the last one was super-reliable - never missing a recording in many years - and in that respect the 5000T has matched and even exceeded my expectations. The picture is superb too.

And many of the design faults - the ludicrously overly-rich menus and EPG that crawl along like an arthritic snail in a lead collar, for example - would scarcely even be an annoyance if Humax had only had the good sense to put in a faster processor and way more memory. I would happily pay twice as much for such a machine.

But when all's said and done there's nothing better available at any price, so far as I can see, so I guess we'll just have to put up with the 5000T for the time being.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 16:18:17 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

Barry - 7 hours ago  » 
    To use jump on live tv you have to display the timebar first eg press play button then arrow for desired jump - you have to be quick as timebar is only displayed for approx. 3 seconds.

When I am using this box I am often in chase play without remembering. I watch live TV, recorded programs or ‘chased TV’ as and when which is exactly what the box is for. Therefore I wish the user experience to be the same and not have to do different button presses if I have dared to pause live TV at some point.

Please can we feedback for the left/right to do the same as if you were watching a recording, then the up/down can continue to go to the channel list if any one requires it.

| Thu 28 Dec 2017 21:18:42 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

AJ - 14 hours ago  » ...I wish the user experience to be the same and not have to do different button presses if I have dared to pause live TV at some point...

I agree with your position. I raised a similar issue with the 1000S recently...

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/bugfeature-in-watch-from-start-option-in-epg

Clearly Humax do not invest the necessary time in testing s/w releases. I come from a background in major s/w systems where this kind of irritation would not be tolerated.

| Fri 29 Dec 2017 11:46:13 #28 |
  9. Soloist

Soloist

My generally unfavourable review of the FVP5000T seems to have disappeared from the forum. I looked for it because I wanted to add another shortcoming compared to my previous FoxT2.
    Here is my original post to which I have added point no.13:
    After lots of use over the Xmas period I am a lot more familiar with the 5000T. Here’s what I’ve discovered compared with the FoxT2:
    1. As previously mentioned, no dedicated jump buttons.
    2. The apparently only method available to jump forward/back using arrows right and left do not work on live TV. It does on the Fox T2.
    3. Can’t rename or add to the title of a recorded program. This was a useful way for each of us to let the other know that we had finished with the recording by easily adding our initial to the end of the title.
    4. Can’t read the details of a recorded program without stopping the replay.
    5. I often use pause to read the fast moving credits at the end of a program, on the 5000T half the picture is covered in graphics; obscuring the text.
    6. Except for a barely visible blue light beneath the unit, there is no indication that the unit is turned on.
    7. What is the purpose of the leading zeros in front of every channel number in the guide and on the program description pages?, its just unnecessary clutter.
    8. Large shouting upper case text in large boxes.
    9. Generally slow and awkward navigating through menus.
    10. Unnecessarily large Netflix (you have to pay) and On Demand buttons taking up ideal space for jump buttons.
    11. The mute and recorded program buttons are in the wrong place.
    12. The coloured buttons don’t seem to do anything (as noted by another).
    13. The useful slo-mo facility which was a feature on the FoxT2 seems to have been removed; or have I missed it?
    Anyone coming from the Fox T2 or similar format models will be disappointed with this latest 5000T. Surely the purpose of bringing out a new model is to incorporate improvements. Trying hard to think of a way in which this model is better, the only improvement I can think of is the extra tuner. In my opinion, if the developers had started with the Fox T2 and simply added an extra tuner, that would have been my ideal. Netflix and On Demand could have been put in the menus.
    Soloist.

| Wed 10 Jan 2018 19:47:40 #29 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

It had not disappeared, just moved to correct area.

Your latest post merged with your original thread.

2. You can skip/jump live tv, you have to display the timebar first by pressing the play button.

| Wed 10 Jan 2018 19:56:25 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.