My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T EPG losing programme information

(22 posts)
  1. davidrew

davidrew

special member

An update to my previous post with actual screen examples.

One show this mornings EPG with some missing information. The other two are for Keeping Faith tonight at 9pm to 10pm. The program has been scheduled so it must have been in the EPG at some point but as you can see the EPG is now blank.

Hopefully it will update in time or we will be watching on iPlayer.

Attachments

1. IMG_1447.jpg (82.3 KB, 36 downloads) 5 years old
    2. IMG_1446.jpg (62.6 KB, 6 downloads) 5 years old
    3. IMG_1445.jpg (93.9 KB, 9 downloads) 5 years old
    | Thu 9 Aug 2018 8:36:02 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

FrankLeigh

If the advice here <https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-no-programme-information-on-epg> is correct, and I assume it is, then the FVP-5000T updates the EPG daily with information from the TV transmitter and stores it as a cached version for use until the next update.

My unit receives all the information from the transmitter, it just doesn't retain it. It loses most of it after a while and then rebuilds the EPG, and this is repeated over and over again every day. I don't see how that can be blamed on the Crystal Palace transmitter.

The only thing I can think of is that the unit, after working ok for 3 months, developed a fault a month ago which remains unfixable by any advice to date from Humax Support. They've replied to my last email, telling me yet again to do a Factory Default reset. I already told them I'd done that more than once and it didn't work, even after reducing the signal strength with an attenuator.

I've emailed back to say I think the unit is faulty and asking them to confirm that this appears to be so. I shall then take it up with Humax Direct, who sold it to me, under the terms of the warranty. But on form to date, Humax Support will send me an email suggesting a reset to Factory Default.

| Thu 9 Aug 2018 23:42:07 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnH77

special member

FrankLeigh - 44 minutes ago  » 
    If the advice here <https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp-5000t-no-programme-information-on-epg> is correct, and I assume it is, then the FVP-5000T updates the EPG daily

I think you are misreading or misunderstanding the thread.

The EPG data is transmitted continuously and the EPG on the Humax is continuously being updated as long as the Humax is not in standby.

I am guessing but I expect that if something is missing from the transmitted data, the original entry in the Humax EPG gets deleted, and replaced with No programme data, as the original in the EPG is different from what is being transmitted. Gaps in the EPG could be (probably are?) caused by gaps in the transmitted data. Once the correct data is transmitted the EPG quickly picks it up.

I think the Freeview standard requires that an EPG should be populated within a certain short time - minutes. The Humax should populate the entire EPG in 5 minutes or so.

The thread then says that the Humax EPG cache is cleared each night. So, if the Humax is left in standby, and the cache is cleared while in standby, the EPG will then be empty and any scheduled recording will be lost. This is the reason for scheduling the Humax to come on for 15 minutes each day - it is more than enough time for the entire EPG to be populated.

It is presumably easy to see this - just put the Humax into standby with no recordings overnight. Look at the EPG when you bring it out of standby in the morning.

Similarly it is the reason why the Humax comes out of standby 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of a recording - it allows the box to catch the START signal when the program starts. I do not know what happens if a recording actually starts 20 minutes early - presumably if the Humax is in standby it will not record it.

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 0:39:53 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

FrankLeigh

Thank you, JohnH77. Your post is the first I've seen that has gone into this detail, and as a learner I'm grateful to you. I assumed that once the EPG was cached it couldn't be de-cached. I didn't know that it was updated continuously.

I've had a very quick reply from Support asking me to complete the warranty form which they attached and to return it with proof of purchase, so they can arrange for a replacement unit to be sent by courier, who will also collect the old one. So, I've done that. I'll be interested to see how the new machine performs, because if it's an EPG transmission problem I don't see how a new unit will be any different. But it's their call - I assume they know what they're doing...

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 16:09:33 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have this niggle occasionally and have realised it only happens if I have retired to bed leaving the box tuned to a channel other than the main 5. Switching to BBC1HD for a few moments very quickly repopulates the epg.

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 16:39:25 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 23 minutes ago  » 
    I have this niggle occasionally and have realised it only happens if I have retired to bed leaving the box tuned to a channel other than the main 5. Switching to BBC1HD for a few moments very quickly repopulates the epg.

Set a daily power on timer for 15 mins at say 07:00-07:15 on BBC1-HD with your normal volume setting. I don't think this will help if you later tune to a MUX with incomplete epg data.

| Fri 10 Aug 2018 17:04:44 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

FrankLeigh

Replacing the machine didn't solve the problem and Humax didn't offer any more suggestions.

Finally, I deleted all the channels, TV and radio, that weren't in my Favourites group of 35, and found that the much smaller EPG works properly, at last.

If I want to rejig the Favourites, I can do a Smart Channel Search, followed by another mass delete.

| Sat 25 Aug 2018 12:34:19 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimonR

As a further note, I have also detailed this fault for the FVP 400T unit.
    I have included the link below -

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/fvp4000t-planner-problems?replies=10#post-68188

To date there seems to be no workaround to stop this fault happening.

Any help (especially from Humax themselves!) would be appreciated as this fault is now reducing the usability of the unit.

| Fri 31 Aug 2018 11:46:03 #18 |
  9. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

SSThing - 2 weeks ago  » 

This is my experience too, just as it was with my previous PVRs. I rarely watch any live TV so my 4000T is almost always set to BBC1HD on 101 and I hardly ever have any EPG population problems.

On the odd occasion that I do it is with the more obscure channels and I just tune in to the one which is unpopulated and leave it for a few minutes.

| Fri 31 Aug 2018 13:23:34 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

FrankLeigh

I emailed Humax a few days ago about what had happened when I tried to get help from them with my EPG problem. I also mentioned that I'd read a 6 year-old forum thread about the same thing happening on an older Humax model. (Reading through it is very much déjà vu.)

I said that it didn't seem unreasonable to me that as they must know that EPG transmission changes can affect receivers (not just Humax models), they should tell customers about it when they ask for help; they should also say what they're doing to correct it, presumably working with those responsible for signal transmission. If it can't be fixed, then at least they could tell us.

I like the FVP-5000T with its 3 tuners and 2TB. I'm pleased that I eventually found a workaround that restored EPG functionality albeit for a much reduced number of channels. I'm surprised, though, that I had to find it myself, with the help of the web, rather than it coming from Humax.

| Fri 31 Aug 2018 16:36:15 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.