My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

theoddbot - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Do these devices have a maximum capacity of 2TB or would a 3TB drive work without any problems?

Don't think anyone knows, yet

Power supply may be an issue. To be honest 3TB would be an inordinate amount of content

Feel free to be a a pioneer, trouble is it's going to take a long time to accumulate this sort of content

Repassac and I (and likely others) have 2TB of storage, it going to take a long time to accumulate that sort of content

Based on the Foxsat-hdr it's likely to be the number of actual files that restricts performance. Users recording lots of small radio files have had problems long before the HDD is even close to being full.

| Sun 11 Nov 2012 21:59:03 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

theoddbot

I will order a 3TB drive this week If it doesn't work I can use it for something else

| Mon 12 Nov 2012 9:22:22 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

GADGET

just replaced my HD with the 2TB Barracuda, i had laying around VERY easy to do all works 100% fine.

thanks for the tip

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 19:56:02 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

REPASSAC - 4 months  ago  » 
    Started with Unit in standby, firstly disconnected power then waited 1 min for capacitors to discharge.
    Removed the rear case screw and the 4 screws hidden under the feet – I removed the feet pads with a watchmakers screwdriver – they are self adhesive and can be refitted later. Removed the lid.
    With magnetised screwdriver removed the 4 screws holding the disk caddy.
    Lifted caddy and removed combined power/sata connector.
    Removed the caddy, unscrewed the 4 side screws.
    Removed disk (You may need to push the disk out carefully as it is quite snug) I used a screwdriver and was careful to only contact the enclosed part of the drive.
    Inserted WD20EURS and refitted everything.
    Reconnected power and waiting for the unit to recover from power failure. Booted unit.
    Unit started on last channel viewed - 20 Secs or so later an on screen message that HD is not formatted. Press OK to go to HD format. Selected OK then Selected “Next” to format.
    The formatting message displayed for about 3 mins.
    Following that all good to go. A Very simple upgrade – no nearby components to worry about unlike the Foxsat.
    Out of my 2tb:
    Free 1690.2
    Used: 92.8
    Res. 80.1
    Total 1863.0
    One point to note:  It was not possible to access my previous recordings. I tried by mounting the drive in a USB enclosure. It was however  possible to access the Videos, Music and Pictures.

Formatted my 2Tb Drive last night for the 3rd time , didn't have much on it anyway as I had recently formatted it to get the buffer working. 

So with the new 1.00.37 software things have changed slightly from above. 

Free 1782.8GB 
    Used 0.2GB
    Res 80.1
    Total size 1863GB

The graphic now shows 3% Space used (I actually make that more like 4.3% used from total available.)  Before update it showed about 10% used after a format. 

http://i674.photobucket.com/albums/vv104/zeroturn/4051746d309c59e3cf1994099e68cdf1.jpg

| Fri 8 Mar 2013 14:11:40 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamfoulkes

Ello
    I have tried to upgrade to a WD AV-GP 3tb disc . The machine has formatted the disc but only 684 gb is available. The rest is in reserved space. I have tied to put in a jumper on the drive ( second one in from the left) but it has made no difference.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Ad

| Sat 4 Jan 2014 11:10:52 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamfoulkes

7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Alloneword

There is a way to get round the breaking of the seal (if it's the same as the foxsat) and that's to heat it with a hair dryer to make the glue underneath become warm and it's a doddle to remove with something like a scalpel, of course this is presumeing it's like the foxsat as i say.

All1

| Fri 18 Jul 2014 0:59:43 #17 |
  8. nssvn

nssvn

REPASSAC - 2 years ago  » 
    Started with Unit in standby, firstly disconnected power then waited 1 min for capacitors to discharge.
    Removed the rear case screw and the 4 screws hidden under the feet – I removed the feet pads with a watchmakers screwdriver – they are self adhesive and can be refitted later. Removed the lid.
    With magnetised screwdriver removed the 4 screws holding the disk caddy.
    Lifted caddy and removed combined power/sata connector.
    Removed the caddy, unscrewed the 4 side screws.
    Removed disk (You may need to push the disk out carefully as it is quite snug) I used a screwdriver and was careful to only contact the enclosed part of the drive.
    Inserted WD20EURS and refitted everything.
    Reconnected power and waiting for the unit to recover from power failure. Booted unit.
    Unit started on last channel viewed - 20 Secs or so later an on screen message that HD is not formatted. Press OK to go to HD format. Selected OK then Selected “Next” to format.
    The formatting message displayed for about 3 mins.
    Following that all good to go. A Very simple upgrade – no nearby components to worry about unlike the Foxsat.
    Out of my 2tb:
    Free 1690.2
    Used: 92.8
    Res. 80.1
    Total 1863.0
    One point to note: It was not possible to access my previous recordings. I tried by mounting the drive in a USB enclosure. It was however possible to access the Videos, Music and Pictures.

Upgraded first box to 2TB last night, simples and successful! Thanks for the excellent 'how to' guide, had to buy HDD WD20EURS from ebay USA to get a decent price, second hand/refurbished! Guessing this model is now a discontinued model and wasn't sure of the current equivalent, anyone any ideas!?

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 5:32:12 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Only the WD SATA 3 designs now seem to available (WD30EURS).

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf

Adding a jumper to pins 5 and 6 reduces the drive speed to sata 2 so hopefully this will work. A poster is fitting this drive in another thread so should no for certain fairly soon.

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 9:25:52 #19 |
  10. nssvn

nssvn

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    Only the WD SATA 3 designs now seem to available (WD30EURS).
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf
    Adding a jumper to pins 5 and 6 reduces the drive speed to sata 2 so hopefully this will work. A poster is fitting this drive in another thread so should no for certain fairly soon.

Thanks Graham, think the WD30EURS is the 3TB version of the same unit and sure I read somewhere that the HDR1000 max's out at 2TB!

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 11:52:16 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.