My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

nssvn - 37 minutes ago  » 
    think the WD30EURS is the 3TB version of the same unit and sure I read somewhere that the HDR1000 max's out at 2TB!

True but the data sheet also covers WD20EURS 2TB and smaller capacity drives.

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 13:31:32 #21 |
  2. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Are jumpers necessary to limit the transfer speed? I thought that SATA 3 drives were designed to be backwards-compatible with previous standards and auto-negotiate the speed with host?
    An issue you might encounter with a 3TB drive relates to the partition table. Up to 2TB are compatible with the older MBR tables; 3TB and above need GUID partition tables. If your kernel and/ or software do not have GUID support you will not be able to use the full capacity of the drive if it is larger than 2TB.

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 17:19:31 #22 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 2 hours ago  » 
    Are jumpers necessary to limit the transfer speed? I thought that SATA 3 drives were designed to be backwards-compatible with previous standards and auto-negotiate the speed with host?
    An issue you might encounter with a 3TB drive relates to the partition table. Up to 2TB are compatible with the older MBR tables; 3TB and above need GUID partition tables. If your kernel and/ or software do not have GUID support you will not be able to use the full capacity of the drive if it is larger than 2TB.

I don't think we know - WD has documentation on what to do to slow down the speed but I think we don't really know if this is necessary or not. Jumpers are two a penny (or less). It needs a long term tester (especially with the 6 GB/s units)

| Fri 7 Aug 2015 19:25:07 #23 |
  4. nssvn

nssvn

MontysEvilTwin - 1 day ago  » 

Think you're correct MET (partition issue)! Is there any way to find out which partition table is used on a particular 1000 box and would this have changed with development of the box over the years!?

| Sun 9 Aug 2015 13:04:17 #24 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

nssvn - 53 minutes ago  » 

Think you're correct MET (partition issue)! Is there any way to find out which partition table is used on a particular 1000 box and would this have changed with development of the box over the years!?

If you use a USB caddy to connect the drive to a Windows PC you should be able to use the disk management tool to find out. Look here for instructions.

| Sun 9 Aug 2015 14:02:31 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

MontysEvilTwin - 14 minutes ago  » 

nssvn - 53 minutes ago  » 

If you use a USB caddy to connect the drive to a Windows PC you should be able to use the disk management tool to find out. Look here for instructions.

The recording partition on a freetime box is Luks encrypted, you cannot easily access it on a PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

| Sun 9 Aug 2015 14:18:43 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

I believe this tool addresses that problem:

http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

Looks all very odd and amateur but helped me out of a huge NAS problem. It enables copying of data into Linux environments but from a windows console. There are a few similar tools available but this one I have used whilst far from initially intuitive, it does work extremely well.

Just to ask (have read the thread) has anyone broke the 2TB ceiling yet?

Also has anyone managed to fit an SSD into any Humax box but ideally the HDS 1100S?

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 18:12:23 #27 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

atacama40 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    I believe this tool addresses that problem:
    http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html
    Looks all very odd and amateur but helped me out of a huge NAS problem. It enables copying of data into Linux environments but from a windows console. There are a few similar tools available but this one I have used whilst far from initially intuitive, it does work extremely well.
    Just to ask (have read the thread) has anyone broke the 2TB ceiling yet?
    Also has anyone managed to fit an SSD into any Humax box but ideally the HDS 1100S?

I don't think so - even if they have expanded that oldish tool - what key would you supply? It does work well with EXT3 paritions however.
    The 2 TB ceiling was only by desire - nobody has yet seen the need
    to try.

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 18:40:13 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSD drives aren't generally considered suitable for PVR use.

1 There's no speed advantage, a standard AV drive is more than fast enough

2 The Time Shift Buffer file is continously being overwritten all the time the pvr is on, so is likely to cause issues much sooner than a conventional hard disk.

Is there a 3TB SSD available, and if so at what price ?

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 19:12:28 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 35 minutes ago  » 
    2 The Time Shift Buffer file is continously being overwritten all the time the pvr is on, so is likely to cause issues much sooner than a conventional hard disk.

Do you have any figures to back up that assertion? This article http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking-petabytes suggests a 256GB drive will have a life time write capability of more than 500TB of data.

| Sat 3 Oct 2015 19:54:18 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.