My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

Martin Liddle - 51 minutes ago  » 

atacama40 - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Tech considerations aside (important as they are) I'm still curious to know if anyone actually did it and can provide tangible observations as well.

I don't recollect anybody reporting doing it. Also it isn't clear to me whether the Linux kernels used on the various boxes have SSD support included. I think at some point in the future we will see SSDs in PVRs but I wouldn't advocate doing it now.

Hi Martin, ok that's a solid opinion and I tend to agree the more I look and read. Many thanks for that

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 12:52:21 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

atacama40

REPASSAC - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Then there is the SSD or SSHD question.
    SSHD has a price advantage over SSD but is slower then SSD (According to Seagate)
    http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/?sku=ST1000DX001
    Look at the price comparison between HDD and SSHD.
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-STCL4000400-4000-GB-Internal/dp/B00GY0R5HQ/?tag=blusas008-21

/?tag=blusas008-21

Hi Repassac and thanks for the advice. Have to confess I'd not considered the combo drives. I guess there's less chance of anyone having done that than the pure SSD route. Think I will be playing it safe with a 2TB unit after all. Thanks for the pointer

| Sun 4 Oct 2015 12:54:45 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bradster

Hey guys, excuse me for the nooby intro. I'm currently in the process of switching out the chunky 500GB Seagate HDD that came with the HDR-1000S for a 2.5" HDD (500GB too). Not too clued up on the world of PVRs but would switching to this physically-laptop-size hard drive be okay?

The reason I'm switching is because the OS is no longer detecting the original Seagate HDD (can't even format in settings) so figured I'd work out if it's the SATA cable, the port on the motherboard, or plain and simply the HDD.

So yeah my question is, in theory, would a 2.5" HDD work in the PVR?

Thanks.

| Mon 5 Oct 2015 23:16:30 #43 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Mounting a 2.5" drive in the unit would be the problem. If you can find a mounting kit to mount it in a 3.5" bay then it should be fine.

Ensure you select a AV/CE drive such as mentioned in this thread.

If you have a caddy and have written off your recordings you could find out if the existing disk is OK by using the disk management program in Windows, If the PC sees the disk and displays partitions (Probably of unknown type) then the disk should be OK.

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 8:22:02 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bradster

REPASSAC - 9 hours ago  » 
    Mounting a 2.5" drive in the unit would be the problem. If you can find a mounting kit to mount it in a 3.5" bay then it should be fine.
    Ensure you select a AV/CE drive such as mentioned in this thread.
    If you have a caddy and have written off your recordings you could find out if the existing disk is OK by using the disk management program in Windows, If the PC sees the disk and displays partitions (Probably of unknown type) then the disk should be OK.

Hi REPASSAC, thanks a lot for this tip. I popped the original Seagate HDD in my PC (in place of the CD drive) to view it in Windows Disk Management - it's found the baby and it says it has '1 GB Healthy (Primary Partition), 454.75 GB Healthy (Primary Partition), 10 GB Healthy (Primary Partition)'. - This must mean the hard drive's fine. Any need to format it, in the name of troubleshooting?

I've ordered a replacement SATA data & power cable from Amazon in case it's just that part. One thing to note is that the HUMAX box's fan doesn't spin either - I notice it's connected to the same region of the motherboard. I've read this could actually be a power problem so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I've tested the new cable. Thanks.

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 18:06:03 #45 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The fan is temperature controlled, it only runs when needed.

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 18:52:16 #46 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I regret to say that the PC sees the partitions implies an PVR fault - software or hardware is hard to know.

Don't format it at least yet - can you post details of what Windows thinks the 3 partitions are please.

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 19:04:29 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bradster

grahamlthompson - 42 minutes ago  » 
    The fan is temperature controlled, it only runs when needed.

Thanks I won't go blowing the hairdryer at it to test it!

REPASSAC - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I regret to say that the PC sees the partitions implies an PVR fault - software or hardware is hard to know.
    Don't format it at least yet - can you post details of what Windows thinks the 3 partitions are please.

Okay, thanks. As I say, I'll test the replacement cable when it turns up to see if it's that part, otherwise sadly I'm guessing it could be the motherboard. Here's how the original disk looks in diskmgmt:

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 19:37:40 #48 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

please can you display the properties of each drive. Right click on the partition and select properties.

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 19:51:31 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bradster

REPASSAC - 46 minutes ago  » 
    please can you display the properties of each drive. Right click on the partition and select properties.

Hi REPASSAC, thanks for your continuous support. Forgot to mention it's Disk 1 (obviously lol). When I right-click the partitions, the 'Properties' option is greyed out, with the only options being 'Delete Volume' and 'Help'. I ran the app again as Administrator and the 'Properties' option was still greyed out on all 3 partitions - not sure if this is usual behaviour (i.e. because it's been locked down by manufacturer or something).

If that's strange in your eyes, let me know. All the while, I'll hold out hope that these little fellas rescue me:
    &tag=blusas008-21

| Tue 6 Oct 2015 20:44:02 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.