My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard disk upgrade - using WD20EURS 2tb

(101 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Not very surprised you can't display the properties as it will not recognise the filing system. I thought it might display "unknown type nn".

A previous poster (another thread I think) had indicated that he could even see the files on Windows 10 but I was very sceptical he was looking at the correct disk.

| Wed 7 Oct 2015 15:51:39 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Bradster

Hey guys, long time no see! (took forever for that part to arrive). I supplied power to a couple of hard-drives (including the original) and tried a couple of individual SATA cables (with a lot of turning off & on properly in-between) but it pains me to say the PVR still didn't recognise any storage - me thinks the port on the motherboard has gone to heaven.

So now I come to you with a very simple question: Is it possible to record on USB storage? I plugged in a 2.5" HDD using a caddy, and the PVR recognised it. The record button functions (as long as it's not the current programme) in so much as it puts an (R) next to the listing but doesn't actually record it, haha. However, as referenced above, I still have the original 3.5" HDD. I read somewhere that these are a special designation of hard drives produced for devices like PVR's. Before I go and buy a 3.5" HDD USB caddy (with power input) to play with, I just wanted confirmation that using an external USB storage disk to record on is even an option.

At this rate, it looks like I'll be selling for parts or free-cycling but I didn't want to give up just yet. I really appreciate this forum in my quest though! Thanks again.

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 20:04:08 #52 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bradster - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hey guys, long time no see! (took forever for that part to arrive). I supplied power to a couple of hard-drives (including the original) and tried a couple of individual SATA cables (with a lot of turning off & on properly in-between) but it pains me to say the PVR still didn't recognise any storage - me thinks the port on the motherboard has gone to heaven.
    So now I come to you with a very simple question: Is it possible to record on USB storage? I plugged in a 2.5" HDD using a caddy, and the PVR recognised it. The record button functions (as long as it's not the current programme) in so much as it puts an (R) next to the listing but doesn't actually record it, haha. However, as referenced above, I still have the original 3.5" HDD. I read somewhere that these are a special designation of hard drives produced for devices like PVR's. Before I go and buy a 3.5" HDD USB caddy (with power input) to play with, I just wanted confirmation that using an external USB storage disk to record on is even an option.
    At this rate, it looks like I'll be selling for parts or free-cycling but I didn't want to give up just yet. I really appreciate this forum in my quest though! Thanks again.

Pretty sure, you cannot record to a usb device on the HDR models only the HB1000S. There appears to be some sort of code in the software that indicates you may be able to (perhaps intended for the HB1000S and it gets invoked when the internal hard disk can't be found). Simple answer is try it with a usb hard drive if you have one. AV specced drives are only required for reliable long term recording and time shifting. Any drive should suffice to confirm this.

| Fri 13 Nov 2015 20:14:27 #53 |
  4. nssvn

nssvn

Hi, can the WD20EURS 2tb be used to upgrade the HDR 1100S 500GB?
    Thanks

| Mon 8 Aug 2016 16:54:28 #54 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

nssvn - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks

As the Humax G2 boxes share the same software, the answer is almost certainly yes.

| Mon 8 Aug 2016 17:31:49 #55 |
  6. nssvn

nssvn

grahamlthompson - 27 minutes ago  » 

nssvn - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks

As the Humax G2 boxes share the same software, the answer is almost certainly yes.

Great thanks, successfully upgraded my 1000s using this thread. Any pros/cons on the newer 1100S and benefit to update?
    Thanks

| Mon 8 Aug 2016 18:03:49 #56 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would not expect the pro's and cons to be any different from the other HDR-1xx0S models, However, given the smaller footprint, I would advise taking a look inside the unit and checking the drive type and size as I don't recall seeing details before.

| Tue 9 Aug 2016 13:00:55 #57 |
  8. nssvn

nssvn

REPASSAC - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I would not expect the pro's and cons to be any different from the other HDR-1xx0S models, However, given the smaller footprint, I would advise taking a look inside the unit and checking the drive type and size as I don't recall seeing details before.

Unfortunately don't have one to check against...yet! Thanks

| Tue 9 Aug 2016 13:22:16 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

M4ttBlack

So i have had a hard drive fail on me and wanted to know what hard drive would be best to replace it with?!

Would this be ok? https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Internal-Hard-Drives/1TB-Desktop-SATA-Hard-Drive/B006GDVREI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&tag=blusas008-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1483467601&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+1tb+green

Thank you for any kind of help.

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 19:37:59 #59 |
  10. nssvn

nssvn

Hi, the model you're looking at is the EZRX, not the EURS as discussed on the thread so can't comment on suitability I'm afraid, possibly others can advise.

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 19:45:54 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.