My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Daveuk

zoots - 2 days ago  » 
    My HDR-1010s 1tb box failed too on Wednesday. Switched on and no recordings and unable to pause or record or detect in storage settings. Box was only 2 years and one month old. Just out of the two year guarantee! Contacted Humax who refused to replace. Removed the HDD and replaced with a new identical one but still no response. Waste of time and money but I took that risk. Searched on eBay and this seems to be a common fault on many of these boxes. The SATA controller fails without any prior symptoms. Need to purchase a new box but have lost faith in Humax.

Exactly the same problem with mine, 2 months out of its warranty and exactly the same response from Humax.

Have read back through all the threads here about hard drive problems and possible ways to remedy the situation ie going into standby/ powering off/ leaving 10 minutes etc etc.

For me, none worked and I suspected there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hard drive, connected it up to my PC and ran seatools for windows, drive tested ok, was also able to install it into a friend's HDR1000 temporarily, was instantly recognised.

I would suspect that there's a problem with the sata data controller on the board which seems to be more and more commonplace, I dread to think how many people have probably paid out good money to replace perfectly good hard drives in error.

Not the first time I've had a Humax product fail, last year my HDR Fox T2 gave up the ghost just 3 months out of warranty again a suspected motherboard fault.

| Tue 24 Nov 2015 22:47:04 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

zoots - 3 days ago  » 
    Worth a try downgrading but still no joy!
    Going to purchase a SATA to USB converter and disconnect the internal SATA connection and route HDD to back USB connection.

I am having the same problem on a 1010s.
    I have also tried adding a drive to the usb as I have an enclosure which uses an ide drive. This allowed it to be formatted but then no record or pause on live was possible.

Have you been able to record over the USB port?

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 13:52:08 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hamishrock - 2 minutes ago  » 

zoots - 3 days ago  » 
    Worth a try downgrading but still no joy!
    Going to purchase a SATA to USB converter and disconnect the internal SATA connection and route HDD to back USB connection.

I am having the same problem on a 1010s.
    I have also tried adding a drive to the usb as I have an enclosure which uses an ide drive. This allowed it to be formatted but then no record or pause on live was possible.
    Have you been able to record over the USB port?

Only freetime box that can record to usb connected drive is the HB1000S, which doesn't have an internal drive. The message that comes up is most likely a bit of code intended for the HB1000S only.

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 13:56:31 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

Hamishrock - I have also tried a USB HDD but it still does not detect it. I have tried all possible solutions but sadly without success. Going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a new unit. Will be purchasing the HDR-1100S 500GB. Hope fully they have sourced a different SATA host controller chip to prevent any future failures but I'm not holding my breath!

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 13:57:54 #24 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

zoots - 38 minutes ago  » 
    Hamishrock - I have also tried a USB HDD but it still does not detect it. I have tried all possible solutions but sadly without success. Going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a new unit. Will be purchasing the HDR-1100S 500GB. Hope fully they have sourced a different SATA host controller chip to prevent any future failures but I'm not holding my breath!

One last suggestion try some quite old firmware for HDR-1000S (Pre HB-1000S) http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads/hdr-1000s
    I would not try to flash it on the HDR-1010S.

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 14:41:32 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

j1bs

I've no experience on a Humax PVR, but were it a PC it would be well worth checking the PSU voltages at the drive, in particular, the 12v which supplies the spindle motor.

see below

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/sata-pinout-15-pin-psu.htm

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 19:25:04 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

j1bs - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I've no experience on a Humax PVR, but were it a PC it would be well worth checking the PSU voltages at the drive, in particular, the 12v which supplies the spindle motor.
    see below
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/sata-pinout-15-pin-psu.htm

Hi and welcome to our forum. Really good advice, but the Humax Freetime boxes (and other recent Humax boxes), use an external switch mode power supply that provides regulated 12V DC to the box, which I guess is passed directly to the 12V sata power connector pins. Checking this should be as easy as a voltmeter connected to the PSU supply output plug. As everything else works OK it seems to be unlikely to be the issue.

| Fri 27 Nov 2015 19:39:04 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

Thanks for the advice.
    I have now bitten the bullet and ordered an 1100s from currys ebay shop where it is £30 off the usual £190 pound. It should arrive Wednesday - Thursday

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 11:01:29 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

Hamishrock - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the advice.
    I have now bitten the bullet and ordered an 1100s from currys ebay shop where it is £30 off the usual £190 pound. It should arrive Wednesday - Thursday

Please supply link. Thanks

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:54:01 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hamishrock

Please supply link. Thanks

The URL for the box is Ebay Item

However Currys have now edited the sale and its back up to full price £189.99. Probably some sort of "Black" Friday sale or just a mistake, but I have checked and I have only paid £159.99.

| Mon 30 Nov 2015 14:03:22 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.