My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

oap29

I've had the HDD fault (suddenly stopped seeing the hard drive) for a very long time, may have found a work round it works on my freesat box and as worked for a month or so and still working.
    Disconnect the Internet.
    Go to settings, system setting, power saving and turn on auto power down if not already on and then back to a channel.
    Then let the box turn off by itself it take about four hours or so, after switching back on I found the HDD and recording all back.
    Hope it works for you.
    Update
    Fault as reappeared two or three times but returns again after a power down if not the first time the second time I try it, this is with no internet or app connected.
    So is it a software fault I ask myself.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 10:32:25 #421 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

texaspetey

GP2016 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Having tried everything on this forum, finally took the plunge and called the tech support line. Humax now say that it is not a SW or APP issue and that another component other than the Harddrive must have failed. Unit is out of warranty, can't be repaired so only option from there said is to sell me another box.
    Having spent £200 on something that only lasts 18 months between failures, its time to say goodbye Freesat and go back to Freeview.

You need to kick up a fuss and email them and tweet them stating that this issue is well known. That's all I can suggest. Whatever you do don't buy another humax no matter what format as they should rectify this known issue and the only way they listen is by hitting their pockets and reviews, not consumers pockets.

| Fri 16 Sep 2016 13:16:01 #422 |
  3. cicobuff

cicobuff

cicobuff - 1 month ago  » 
    I have myself had this HDD fault with my own HDR1000S 1TB for roughly the past 6 weeks. Miraculously last night it fixed itself, and just for the record the software version is still the recently updated 3.00.44 and I have been suffering the problem since before that update as well as the past couple of weeks after.
    I unpaired the Freesat app around a week ago, have tried previously leaving the box off for a good while, have tried loading older firmware even to no avail.
    I was on my PS4 last night playing online when I had a server outage, turned out to be my Virgin Media broadband having a temporary outage. In the interim I thought I would power on my Humax Box and watch some more of the olympic athletics, to my amazement my recording had reappeared.
    Now it could just be coincidence that I noticed whilst having a wi-fi outage (I connect to the internet with my box via a Edimax USB dongle) or it could just be as oap29 has said in the previous post disconnecting your internet connection whether it be ethernet or wi-fi dongle could do the trick.
    So my advice unpair freesat app on the box. Disable the internet connection and reboot the box.
    A day later and with my box connected back to my router and all is working fine with my recordings still present.

Over a month later now and mine is still working.

If anyone is having trouble, unpair the app, disconnect either ethernet or wifi connection and reboot...failing that reload firmware via USB and do the above listed and see how you get on.

Certainly has worked for me, and still working.

| Fri 30 Sep 2016 21:37:01 #423 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

GP2016 - 2 weeks ago  » 
    Having tried everything on this forum, finally took the plunge and called the tech support line. Humax now say that it is not a SW or APP issue and that another component other than the Harddrive must have failed. Unit is out of warranty, can't be repaired so only option from there said is to sell me another box.
    Having spent £200 on something that only lasts 18 months between failures, its time to say goodbye Freesat and go back to Freeview.

G2 boxes have a 2 yr Humax warranty for registered owners. What makes you think it can't be repaired, and if in the 2yr warranty won't be replaced or repaired ?

| Fri 30 Sep 2016 21:44:25 #424 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cicobuff - 7 minutes ago  » 

I have myself had this HDD fault with my own HDR1000S 1TB for roughly the past 6 weeks. Miraculously last night it fixed itself, and just for the record the software version is still the recently updated 3.00.44 and I have been suffering the problem since before that update as well as the past couple of weeks after.
    I unpaired the Freesat app around a week ago, have tried previously leaving the box off for a good while, have tried loading older firmware even to no avail.
    I was on my PS4 last night playing online when I had a server outage, turned out to be my Virgin Media broadband having a temporary outage. In the interim I thought I would power on my Humax Box and watch some more of the olympic athletics, to my amazement my recording had reappeared.
    Now it could just be coincidence that I noticed whilst having a wi-fi outage (I connect to the internet with my box via a Edimax USB dongle) or it could just be as oap29 has said in the previous post disconnecting your internet connection whether it be ethernet or wi-fi dongle could do the trick.
    So my advice unpair freesat app on the box. Disable the internet connection and reboot the box.
    A day later and with my box connected back to my router and all is working fine with my recordings still present.

If anyone is having trouble, unpair the app, disconnect either ethernet or wifi connection and reboot...failing that reload firmware via USB and do the above listed and see how you get on.

Sadly I think you do not have the same problem. I am having work done on a new kitchen. As a result the power has been cut several times. This evening was faced with a no recordings error. A 5 minute power removal followed by allowing the box to reboot (to restart the clock) and shut down, followed by a reboot resolves the issue.

Did you get a message after trying to live pause, and faced with error message about not being able to do this while recovering data from the time shift buffer ? If so it's not the same problem.

Easy to confuse the two, I reckon you do not have the same issue at all.

| Fri 30 Sep 2016 21:49:29 #425 |
  6. cicobuff

cicobuff

grahamlthompson - 4 days ago  » 

Sadly I think you do not have the same problem. I am having work done on a new kitchen. As a result the power has been cut several times. This evening was faced with a no recordings error. A 5 minute power removal followed by allowing the box to reboot (to restart the clock) and shut down, followed by a reboot resolves the issue.
    Did you get a message after trying to live pause, and faced with error message about not being able to do this while recovering data from the time shift buffer ? If so it's not the same problem.

I think you have your wires crossed here.

This thread for the majority talks about the concerns of losing access to the HDD in recording, the problem I had.

I replied to oap29 and found a similar solution myself.

My mention of Virgin Media broadband temporary outage has no correlation whatsoever to the problem you have faced yourself with electrical power outages/spikes causing your own issue.

My mention of the VM temporary outage has everything to do with the fact that dropping connection to the server seemed to have corrected the HDD detection problem many Humax boxes face.

So I will reiterate, a couple of ourselves in this thread have found that doing the following has cured the problem this thread generally alludes to which is the Humax 1000/1010/1100 G2 Specced receivers losing detection of a HDD present despite the fact there is no known hardware fault with either the HDD or SATA interface.

I most certainly am not confused at all, and suggest anyone that faces this issue try the following.

. Unpair The App
    . Disconnect either ethernet or wifi connectivity
    . Reboot Unit

| Tue 4 Oct 2016 22:42:48 #426 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cicobuff - 13 minutes ago  » 

This thread for the majority talks about the concerns of losing access to the HDD in recording, the problem I had.
    My mention of Virgin Media broadband temporary outage has no correlation whatsoever to the problem you have faced yourself with electrical power outages/spikes causing your own issue.
    My mention of the VM temporary outage has everything to do with the fact that dropping connection to the server seemed to have corrected the HDD detection problem many Humax boxes face.
    So I will reiterate, a couple of ourselves in this thread have found that doing the following has cured the problem this thread generally alludes to which is the Humax 1000/1010/1100 G2 Specced receivers losing detection of a HDD present despite the fact there is no known hardware fault with either the HDD or SATA interface.
    I most certainly am not confused at all, and suggest anyone that faces this issue try the following.
    . Unpair The App
    . Reboot Unit

They have and it does not fix the problem. As to the no known issue, Humax have reported they have identified the problem. They so far have not released the reason. My money is on some sort of hardware issue.

| Tue 4 Oct 2016 22:59:56 #427 |
  8. cicobuff

cicobuff

grahamlthompson - 6 minutes ago  » 

. Unpair The App
    . Reboot Unit

They have and it does not fix the problem. As to the no known issue, Humax have reported they have identified the problem. They so far have not released the reason. My money is on some sort of hardware issue.

Are you broken?

| Tue 4 Oct 2016 23:07:02 #428 |
  9. hairbear

hairbear

grahamlthompson - 1 day ago  » 

. Unpair The App
    . Reboot Unit

Nah. Software issue is my bet.
    Similar to the Issue they had with the SkyD box and certain external SATA hard drives.

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:01:37 #429 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

hairbear - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Nah. Software issue is my bet.
    Similar to the Issue they had with the SkyD box and certain external SATA hard drives.

I believe the PVR chipset handles the hardware interface to the drive and network. Wait and see. I hope that Humax post their test results soon.

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:16:32 #430 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.