Nah. Software issue is my bet.

You would lose your money

| Thu 6 Oct 2016 17:47:19 #431 |
  2. hairbear

hairbear

REPASSAC - 21 hours ago  » 

hairbear - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Nah. Software issue is my bet.
    Similar to the Issue they had with the SkyD box and certain external SATA hard drives.

I believe the PVR chipset handles the hardware interface to the drive and network. Wait and see. I hope that Humax post their test results soon.

Yes, I think the the SOC is a Broadcom 7346/56/55, whichever flavour they use. That controls the SATA interface (and the rest !). Barry seems to suggests this is not a software issue (?), but lets wait and see.

| Fri 7 Oct 2016 15:20:00 #432 |
  3. andyfras

andyfras

If it was a software issue, every machine with that software would be affected, not just a few.

| Sat 8 Oct 2016 8:31:49 #433 |
  4. hairbear

hairbear

andyfras - 4 days ago  » 
    If it was a software issue, every machine with that software would be affected, not just a few.

Except, there does seem to be a workaround that makes boxes work again, at least for some people. Issues can easily affect a subset of users and can be influenced by external factors. I can assure you that issues like this can very easily be software issues. I've dealt with many such strange issues myself.

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 18:12:40 #434 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hairbear - 1 hour ago  » 

andyfras - 4 days ago  » 

Except, there does seem to be a workaround that makes boxes work again, at least for some people. Issues can easily affect a subset of users and can be influenced by external factors. I can assure you that issues like this can very easily be software issues. I've dealt with many such strange issues myself.

Why would users of the remote scheduling app experience the issue in a large majority. Only effect of this is multiple boot ups. This strongly suggests a hardware issue to me.

There is two issues here, loss of recordings on boot is pretty common. It's happened to me a few times. This does suggest a software (most likely timing issue) on boot. A short power down fixes the issue. The more persistant one can take a very long time before recordings appear.

This suggests a component issue that after time recovers enough to recover access to the recordings.

| Wed 12 Oct 2016 19:18:23 #435 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

Hi Guys,

Has anyone taken the top off the box and checked all the capacitors very carefully?.

I've just repaired a Foxsat HD and a PVR-9300T by changing all of them on the power supply board.
    Only 2 had obvious stains etc but it was a cheap repair to change all.

| Fri 14 Oct 2016 22:15:25 #436 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoots

My 1010S had this problem roughly this time last year. Tried all the fixes at the time and even replaced the HDD with no success. Just left it and after a month or so it rectified its self. No firmware was updated. Now on Thursday it's happened again! The most recent firmware 3.00.44 was updated weeks ago with no problems. Tried the most recent fixes but no luck. GET THIS FIXED HUMAX.

| Sat 15 Oct 2016 9:55:53 #437 |
  8. andyfras

andyfras

I have been mending Topfield PVRs (and some Humax) for many years, and I've noticed that some faults seem to fix themselves (albeit temporarily) if left switched off for a few weeks. I suspect that this is due to poor lead-free solder joints, especially on BGA (ball grid array) devices such as the main processor. As the chip repeatedly heats up and cools, the solder joints start to crack; eventually losing contact completely. After being switched off for an extended period, the solder migrates and reconnects (for a while).

It seems that on recent Humax devices (Youview onwards), the fan rarely comes on, so the temperature extremes on the chips are greater. I would like to see the fan running slowly whenever the device is on, and with a speed increase as the temperature rises.

This is all just theory as far as this particular problem is concerned, but it would explain why Humax have been unable to provide a solution, as it would involve a massive recall.

| Sat 15 Oct 2016 10:16:06 #438 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyT

The kits I bought came with a strip of heat proof card, basically you fit this to shield components.
    Is it a gimmick, if not why don't manufacturers fit it as standard.

| Sat 15 Oct 2016 19:28:32 #439 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChrisLux

After reading AndyT's post I thought I would have another look inside my HDR1000S, I had a look at all the capacitors and they all looked brand new to me with no discoloring but when I turned the board over there was one component which I think is a resistor did seem to have some discoloration which could be overheating marks on it, I will upload a photo so maybe it can be scrutinised.

Attachments

1. HDR1000S.jpg (77.8 KB, 44 downloads) 7 years old
    | Sun 16 Oct 2016 11:32:31 #440 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.