My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

Faust - 5 hours ago  » 
    If Humax are only sending out 500 gig boxes regardless of the HDD size of the customers box then £55 is not a good a deal as it first appears. If customer then has to source a new AV 1TB HDD this puts the price up to around £100 mark in total.

Thoroughly agree Faust; but it's the 'Hobson's choice' offer - take it or leave it! Not the best of offers for a fault such as this.
    I have considered keeping the 1TB drive to add to my soon-to-be-purchased new PC (a perfectly good drive for a PC and a £65 saving) and keeping the driveless Humax as a receiver that I can plug in to my old video recorder; only one channel is of any use though as the VR only sees what's being output.

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 19:46:41 #551 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scriabin - 36 minutes ago  » 

stevieee - 21 hours ago  » 
    I initially report the issue during the warranty period, Since then been using my smart TV and added a hard disk.
    Had to go for a different colour as white was out of stock but as everything else is now black not a problem.
    If they had wanted cash to fix it I would have probably gone for it but avoided the brand in the future.
    Again, right thing to do.
    (And #541 stevieee added) - I got a 1TB box which matched my 1TB box?

I guess the reason Humax gave you a 1TB box is that you had begun your complaint process whilst in warranty; whereas my box failed just 9 months beyond warranty and it's only out of the generosity of Humax that they are prepared to make the offer of a 500GB box as a replacement for my 1TB; even though it appears to be a broadly found issue if not systemic.
    The main issue is that Humax have no competition in the Freesat market. There are other Satellite boxes but they are not "Freesat" so are more awkward to use (no Freesat EPG); and all that I have found have only a single satellite connection so cannot record a channel whilst watching another.
    Until Freesat brings other suppliers into their closed market users will have little choice.

Plenty of twin tuner FTA satellite pvrs and even more tuners including one from Humax Germany recently discontinued.

http://www.pulsat.com/products/Humax-iCord-Evolution-Quad-Tuner-HD-Satellite-Home-Media-Server-1TB.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-iCord-Evolution-Quad-Tuner-HD-Home-Media-Satellite-Receiver-2-YR-Warranty-/172452784188

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 20:10:26 #552 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago
    Plenty of twin tuner FTA satellite pvrs and even more tuners including one from Humax Germany recently discontinued.
    http://www.pulsat.com/products/Humax-iCord-Evolution-Quad-Tuner-HD-Satellite-Home-Media-Server-1TB.html
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-iCord-Evolution-Quad-Tuner-HD-Home-Media-Satellite-Receiver-2-YR-Warranty-/172452784188

Yes good point Graham.
    But neither of these have the advantage of Freesat EPG (do they?) so they are not in direct competition to the Humax Freesat devices and they will not be mentioned on the Freesat website as suitable for its services.
    Maplin sell satellite receivers but none are Freesat with the Freetime EPG service.
    My Sony TV has both terrestrial and satellite connections and I can add a hard drive to that but whilst the satellite service will find hundreds of channels it's not comparable to the Humax Freesat system either.
    I wish it was!

| Thu 21 Sep 2017 22:16:23 #553 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

scriabin - 11 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago

Yes good point Graham.
    But neither of these have the advantage of Freesat EPG (do they?) so they are not in direct competition to the Humax Freesat devices and they will not be mentioned on the Freesat website as suitable for its services.
    Maplin sell satellite receivers but none are Freesat with the Freetime EPG service.
    My Sony TV has both terrestrial and satellite connections and I can add a hard drive to that but whilst the satellite service will find hundreds of channels it's not comparable to the Humax Freesat system either.
    I wish it was!

No personal experience but based on comments and reviews Enigma 2 based satellite boxes appear to come close. You might want to do a bit of Googling

https://satellitedirect4u.com/best-cccam-compatible-satellite-receivers/

| Fri 22 Sep 2017 9:25:40 #554 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

scriabin

This might get a bit long but I'll try to be as succinct as possible; continuing on from my post #536:

I contacted Humax support again (twice) to qualify the £55 deal and was told no refurbished units were in stock.
    I waited another week and eventually (they're very busy) spoke to the amenable lady representative that I had spoken with before who, after asking about my particular model (1TB Black) (*), advised that the units were now in stock but the payments processing system was down.

(*)Curious as I had understood from every representative I had spoken to that 500GB models were the only ones they would send out as replacements.)

She said she would call me 09:30 the next morning to take payment!

NOTE: So Humax CAN call out (see #549).

No call by 09:30 so at 11:30 I rang Humax again and spoke to an amenable gentleman who took both the serial # of my old box and payment.

I queried how to package the old box as I hadn't the original packaging. Bubble wrap was suggested - no addressing necessary as the courier should know what to do. And no need to enclose the power supply and remote etc..
    Seemingly both power supply & remote from the HDR1000 work with the HDR1100.
    He said I would receive the HDR1100 with a new power supply & remote so I will therefore have spares.

At 16:15 I received a call from the amenable lady representative. She apologised for not calling earlier.

NOTE: So Humax DO call out (see #549).

The courier arrived with a secured plastic box in which was the refurbished 1100S and in which he was to place the old unit, which he didn't like bubble-wrapped as he couldn't see it; but for expedience accepted my declaration as to it's nature.

I opened the replacement package to find the refurbished 1100S with new power supply and remote (no batteries or HDMI & Ethernet cable or other paperwork - not complaining just stating facts to let potential recipients know what to expect), along with a letter confirming that Humax do not expect the return of the old remote & power supply etc.. Glad I was told this by the Humax representative before I packaged it.

NOTE: And, contrary to everything I have been told and have had confirmed on several occasions, it IS a 1TB box so Humax WILL replace like with like.

So after my initial "Humax won't help" message (at #522) I'm grateful to Martin Liddle who kindly urged me (#523) to contact Humax again; otherwise I would have just given up.

This is a good result!

Humax support is evidently based in Northern Ireland at a call centre with the 'phone # 0289 016 6000 that, I believe, doesn't accept incoming calls (for the reason below) - and if a call is received from Humax it will probably be from this number.

The call centre facilitates many Customer Service Centres for companies other than Humax e.g. Cisco, Concentrix, Expedia, etc. etc; it is the number dialled that determines the part of the call centre to which a customer's call is routed (0334 318 8800 for Humax).

Representative's names witheld as it would be unfair to determine favourites, or otherwise, amongst them.
    Luckily, some I spoke with were very helpful.

| Fri 29 Sep 2017 11:57:01 #555 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Many thanks indeed Scriabin for taking the time to document so precisely your experience in achieving a replacement for your HDR, and I'm very happy your perseverance paid off. Thanks also to Martin for his help.

This has certainly given me the encouragement to have a go myself.

In what resulted in a vain attempt to rescue the recordings from my failed HDR (which include 54 episodes of "Allo! Allo!") I sent off to Amazon for an external caddy with a SATA to USB interface and used it to plug the removed HDD into the USB interfaces of the HDR.

The HDR reported the disk as "Dev00-00" and correctly displayed the Available/Used/Total sizes and "77% space used" which is the same as the running display when the box failed, indicating that stated by others, there is nothing wrong with the disk itself.

However, that's as far as it goes! The three directories of Dev00-00 are displayed as "debepg", "fsatcontentsxml_def" and "lost+found" (empty). Opening the fsatcontentsxml_def directory shows a further directory "rec_update" (apparently populated), but opening it displays "No Items". Game over!

So it seems that the internal HDD of the HDR is (I suppose unsurprisingly) configured with a special Humax format or encryption which the firmware needs to recognise. I did try connecting the extracted drive to two PCs (one running Win10, the other XP) but it wasn't recognised by either machine.

Oh well, at least the caddy will come in useful to house the new Seagate HDD I bought, as it turns out too precipitously, at the start of this whole exercise! I have to say that, in spite of the slightly suspect name PeekTon, the caddy is very well made and very good value for money, see:

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peekton-Jigapeek-35-External-Enclosure/dp/B004LQ1GJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1506955091&sr=8-1&keywords=peekton

| Mon 2 Oct 2017 16:02:44 #556 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Many thanks indeed Scriabin for taking the time to document so precisely your experience in achieving a replacement for your HDR, and I'm very happy your perseverance paid off. Thanks also to Martin for his help.
    This has certainly given me the encouragement to have a go myself.
    In what resulted in a vain attempt to rescue the recordings from my failed HDR (which include 54 episodes of "Allo! Allo!") I sent off to Amazon for an external caddy with a SATA to USB interface and used it to plug the removed HDD into the USB interfaces of the HDR.
    The HDR reported the disk as "Dev00-00" and correctly displayed the Available/Used/Total sizes and "77% space used" which is the same as the running display when the box failed, indicating that stated by others, there is nothing wrong with the disk itself.
    However, that's as far as it goes! The three directories of Dev00-00 are displayed as "debepg", "fsatcontentsxml_def" and "lost+found" (empty). Opening the fsatcontentsxml_def directory shows a further directory "rec_update" (apparently populated), but opening it displays "No Items". Game over!
    So it seems that the internal HDD of the HDR is (I suppose unsurprisingly) configured with a special Humax format or encryption which the firmware needs to recognise. I did try connecting the extracted drive to two PCs (one running Win10, the other XP) but it wasn't recognised by either machine.
    Oh well, at least the caddy will come in useful to house the new Seagate HDD I bought, as it turns out too precipitously, at the start of this whole exercise! I have to say that, in spite of the slightly suspect name PeekTon, the caddy is very well made and very good value for money, see:
    https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peekton-Jigapeek-35-External-Enclosure/dp/B004LQ1GJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1506955091&sr=8-1&keywords=peekton

Thought to be LUKS encrypted

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

| Mon 2 Oct 2017 16:30:43 #557 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

So I guess one needs a) a PC running Linux and b) the key to enable decryption? Whilst a) is maybe do-able, b) probably isn't?!

| Mon 2 Oct 2017 16:39:02 #558 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

alanf - 3 minutes ago  » 
    So I guess one needs a) a PC running Linux and b) the key to enable decryption? Whilst a) is maybe do-able, b) probably isn't?!

The key will be unique to each box motherboard. Pretty sure that will also be encrypted. You aren't the first to try incidentally.

Imagine Humax can do it based on reports of repaired boxes coming back with new motherboard and with existing recordings intact.

| Mon 2 Oct 2017 16:46:52 #559 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

alanf

Well I suppose it was worth the try

A bit of a Catch 22 here then... under the 'new for old exchange scheme', Scriabin received a shiny new box, but had to send his old one back with its recordings consigned to infinity...

I wonder if the 'repair' option now exists?

| Mon 2 Oct 2017 16:57:40 #560 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.