My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

I have the same reboot problem with one of my 1100s 1TB boxes. Contacted Humax support who advised restoring to factory settings which I did just over three weeks ago. All seemed OK until yesterday when same fault occurred, tried restoring again but fault still occurring.

Have contacted Humax support again and waiting on reply.

| Mon 31 Oct 2016 21:41:04 #141 |
  2. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Just want to share our recent experiences.

We have had a 1000S from almost when it was first introduced and we have found it mostly reliable until the last couple of months where we are experiencing more and more random reboots whilst watching recorded programs.

The reboots seem to happen most of the time whilst the box is recording another program and particularly when recording two channels simultaneously. Sometimes the box will crash completely and kill any recordings in-progress, or sometimes the recordings will continue and survive when the box goes back to standby. When it kills the in-progress recordings it forgets where the program we were watching had got to, when it doesn't it remembers so there does seem a bit of a pattern to the fault.

A coupe of other issues have cropped up in the last week:

1. Box froze when exiting BBC iPlayer and had to be unplugged. Remote and front buttons were unresponsive.

2. Completely forgot to record any scheduled programs last Wednesday 26/10/16, which meant no GBBO final, so had to watch on iPlayer which caused issue 1. Everything recorded fine the following day.

We have undertaken all the suggested resets etc. but does not seem to improve things. It very frustrating having to interrupt watching a program post crash to race around the guide to try and find +1 or 24/7 repeats of in-progress recordings that have been killed off. Happened again last night with 15 minutes of Poldark left to watch then had to go and find where we had got to again. Killed off recording Eastenders (BBC1 HD) and MotoGP (itv4).

Hope Humax can find a fix soon, not convinced the July update was properly tested.

| Tue 1 Nov 2016 11:42:20 #142 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mutant_matt

Yep, that all sounds disappointingly familiar.

It's not yet conclusive, but since I disconnected my box from the network on Thursday (so five days now), it's been rock stable, zero reboots that I know about, and zero failed/partial recordings. I was getting multiple reboots per day, and probably at least one failed recording per day before, and this seems to have stopped.

I'm going to give it a bit longer and then reconnect and see if the rebooting comes back. Seeing as it ran for a couple of months on the new firmware with no problems, it must be the box reacting to something Freesat are doing on their web servers, so this one may be hard to pin down, even if we can convince Humax and Freesat that this is actually a real problem! (I have no idea if that's likely, I got bounced to and from Humax/Freesat last time Freesat were causing problems when their web server wasn't serving up URLs that the box was requesting... )

Nickcc, let us know what Humax come back with? Anyone recently reported ongoing problems to Freesat as well?

Cheers,

Matt.

| Tue 1 Nov 2016 11:56:12 #143 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

nickcc - 22 hours ago  » 
    I have the same reboot problem with one of my 1100s 1TB boxes. Contacted Humax support who advised restoring to factory settings which I did just over three weeks ago. All seemed OK until yesterday when same fault occurred, tried restoring again but fault still occurring.

Nothing from Humax but it seems according to Digital Spy a Freesat problem. Just another reason to change back to Sky, unfortunately. Just rebooted again, checked that the software was up to date which it was, seems Freesat is unable to compete with Sky. I remember another terrestrial supplier that went bust, wonder if Humax and Freesat will be next.

| Tue 1 Nov 2016 20:18:05 #144 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

davidrew - 8 hours ago  » 
    We have had a 1000S from almost when it was first introduced and we have found it mostly reliable until the last couple of months where we are experiencing more and more random reboots whilst watching recorded programs.
    The reboots seem to happen most of the time whilst the box is recording another program and particularly when recording two channels simultaneously. Sometimes the box will crash completely and kill any recordings in-progress, or sometimes the recordings will continue and survive when the box goes back to standby. When it kills the in-progress recordings it forgets where the program we were watching had got to, when it doesn't it remembers so there does seem a bit of a pattern to the fault.
    1. Box froze when exiting BBC iPlayer and had to be unplugged. Remote and front buttons were unresponsive.
    2. Completely forgot to record any scheduled programs last Wednesday 26/10/16, which meant no GBBO final, so had to watch on iPlayer which caused issue 1. Everything recorded fine the following day.
    We have undertaken all the suggested resets etc. but does not seem to improve things. It very frustrating having to interrupt watching a program post crash to race around the guide to try and find +1 or 24/7 repeats of in-progress recordings that have been killed off. Happened again last night with 15 minutes of Poldark left to watch then had to go and find where we had got to again. Killed off recording Eastenders (BBC1 HD) and MotoGP (itv4).
    Hope Humax can find a fix soon, not convinced the July update was properly tested.

Humax not come back to me but to be honest I would expect they've given up as it appears to be a Freesat software problem. Humax are just following instructions from their buyer who know they have a problem but are unable to solve it, must be a real amateurish company if they can't get the software right.

| Tue 1 Nov 2016 20:23:54 #145 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

davidrew - 22 hours ago  » 

It is of course possible that the problems your PVR has are not related to the other reboot issues being reported and it's simply coincidental. As you say your box is one of the originals and no longer a spring chicken. We all tend to forget with the passage of time just how often we use these things. It might be the box is starting to suffer some intermittent component failure.

My box is of a similar age to yours and although I did have a few reboots when everyone else was reporting them (touch wood) there has been no more now for weeks and weeks. My remote control however is a different story as a number of buttons have now become problematic and this is simply down to wear and tear. I keep thinking I will order a new one then I wonder just how much longer the box will remain reliable and put off ordering the remote.

It's just a thought and maybe one worth considering.

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 10:43:29 #146 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

nickcc - 14 hours ago  » 

nickcc - 22 hours ago  » 

Nothing from Humax but it seems according to Digital Spy a Freesat problem. Just another reason to change back to Sky, unfortunately. Just rebooted again, checked that the software was up to date which it was, seems Freesat is unable to compete with Sky. I remember another terrestrial supplier that went bust, wonder if Humax and Freesat will be next.

If it's a new box and you are not satisfied then get it changed. If it's under six months old you don't need to prove a fault as it's considered to be inherent. I've had virtually no problems with my box in over 3 years.

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 10:46:27 #147 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Faust - 1 hour ago  » 

nickcc - 14 hours ago  » 

nickcc - 22 hours ago  » 

If it's a new box and you are not satisfied then get it changed. If it's under six months old you don't need to prove a fault as it's considered to be inherent. I've had virtually no problems with my box in over 3 years.

It would appear there is nothing wrong with the box and Freesat confirm that their software is at fault which they keep attempting to cure, that's the reason for all the restarts/reboots. Don't see the point in changing boxes if the box isn't at fault. Incidentally I swapped boxes out and get the same fault with my other almost new 1100s box, we never noticed the restarts on this other box as we only use it for about 30 minutes a day whilst the other box is used for at least 8 hours per day.

Freesat confirm the software fault is more common with the 1000s and 1100s boxes so if you have another type of box maybe you're not affected.

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 11:57:59 #148 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickcc

Had a reply from Humax. It seems that the only answer, if I can't wait for the new software release which is due in the next few weeks, is to format the hard drive which means loosing all my recorded programmes, think I'll wait for the new software.

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 16:54:04 #149 |
  10. andyfras

andyfras

Faust - 6 hours ago  » My remote control however is a different story as a number of buttons have now become problematic and this is simply down to wear and tear.

If you feel brave, open up the remote. You'll probably find an oily substance has leached out of the silicon membrane; wipe off as much as possible, then touch a hot soldering iron onto the suspect conductive pads on the membrane (it won't melt). This will usually restore conductivity to the pads. You can test the suspect pads with a multimeter on the 100kohm range, with the probe tips on the same pad, but not touching each other. A pad resistance of less than 10kohm should work OK.

This procedure may need repeating occasionally.

| Wed 2 Nov 2016 17:02:57 #150 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.