My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR-1100S Sound Missing on Some Channels

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ian1944

I have recently installed a new Human HDR-1100S. Everything appeared to be working normally and I was very impressed with the new box/service. However, on some programmes whilst the picture is fine the sound is missing. Most commonly this occurs on SD channels, even BBC One. My box is connected directly to a Samsung TV Model UE48JU7500T (4k, UHD) using the original (new) HDMI cable supplied by Humax. Based on other posts I have checked the sound settings on the HDR and the audio is set to 'Stereo' as it should be.

Whilst the problem is not consistent, and mostly we watch on HD (where available), this is proving very annoying. Before I send the box back to Humax, can anyone suggest possible causes / other things to try? Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 8:11:42 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

1) Move to another HDMI input on the TV to determine if the problem follows.
    2) Try another HDMI cable.
    3) Check F connectors on the satellite feeds.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 10:10:14 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The TV has rather a lot of sound processing modes and choices.
    I would try playing with them.

I rather doubt that, with the sound output set to stereo, the HDR-1100S would treat any SD channel differently. However, if you have an optical cable you could see if that gives the same result.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 11:24:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ian1944

Thanks for the prompt responses. The connection to my Samsung TV is via their 'Smart Hub' which has several HDMI inputs optimised for different services. I am on the correct one for a PVR. I will try bypassing the smart hub, but that would cause multiple problems with other services. I will also try changing the HDMI cable although, as indicated above, I am using the brand new cable supplied with the HDR. Curious, though, that the cable 'untouched by human hand' should present intermittent results.

Once again, many thanks for your suggestions. I will post again when I have tried them

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 12:36:14 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Ian1944 - 2 hours ago  » ...The connection to my Samsung TV is via their 'Smart Hub' which has several HDMI inputs optimised for different services. I am on the correct one for a PVR. I will try bypassing the smart hub, but that would cause multiple problems with other service...

You have me confused there because I have the UE48JU series TV and you set each HDMI input to whatever you want.

| Tue 27 Sep 2016 15:10:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ian1944

Hi Polensa,

Apologies for the reference to Samsung Smarthub - it should have been the Samsung 'One Connect Mini'. Indeed, there is no HDMI port on the to itself, all connections are via the One Connect Mini. It has 4 HDMI ports labelled STB, DVI, MHL AND ARC respectively. I can find no way (and no instructions) to reconfigure these ports, however I have the Humax connected directly to the STB port and my Apple TV connected to the DVI port. These two work correctly on the whole (with qualifications re the sound as above), not entirely sure about the purpose of the other 2 ports.

Does that help?

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 19:49:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

OK, I understand. I have the 6 series TV, you have the 7 series which appears from my reading online to be completely different with regard to connections. All the HDMI being on a discreet box separate from the TV. From a technical perspective I would dispute that they have "optimised" the HDMI input for a STB. Quite how you do that defies explanation. More like simple labeling as a guide for the user. Try plugging into the ARC input. My humble opinion is that your sound problem is not in the Humax. Good luck with debugging that setup.

| Wed 28 Sep 2016 21:28:55 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ian1944

Many thanks Pollensa, will try the ARC input and see how I get on. It may take a little while as the problem is intermittent, I.e. I can't reproduce it at will. Cheers

| Thu 29 Sep 2016 11:36:18 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ian1944

Hi, apologies to Pollensa1946 and everyone else who replied, however I have now solved the problem. I feel a bit of an idiot, but am posting this message for the benefit of other users as the 'feature' I fell foul of does not appear to be explained in any of the Humax documentation.

It seems that on my model, you can pre-set the volume level for each individual tv channel, and this is what the Humax remote does. A sensible feature given the different volume levels transmitted by different channels. However, as a long term Sky user, we have always relied on the TVs volume control to adjust sound levels. Needless to say, if the Humax volume (on a specific channel) is turned down, no amount of amplification from the tv will help.

Unfortunately, on more than one occasion my wife (who has never been able to find the 'mute' button) has killed the volume on the Humax and left it down when changing channels or switching off. So that's it in a nutshell. Please note, Humax, and provide more guidance in your documentation.

Cheers

| Tue 18 Oct 2016 9:19:43 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

"It seems that on my model, you can pre-set the volume level for each individual tv channel, and this is what the Humax remote does."

Really a new (but slightly useless) feature ! I can see how that would get confusing and cause problems.

| Tue 18 Oct 2016 12:28:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.