My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

How to solve "Not supported file format"/

(81 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just trying to check if the homeplugs are faulty. Connect your laptop to the homeplug you use for the humax box and turn off the wireless. If your laptop is still connected to the internet and you can use the laptop to view iplayer they must be working OK. Nothing to do with your TV.

Some homeplugs have power saving, they only turn on when they get network traffic.

Haven't you got a network cable from your Humax box location to your router ? If not can you run one ?

| Tue 11 Apr 2017 20:56:32 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » ...Haven't you got a network cable from your Humax box location to your router ? If not can you run one ?

Exactly. Ethernet cable is so cheap now that it's worth buying one and string it across the floor to determine if a direct connection fixes any problems.
    https://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/search/?q=20m+ethernet

| Tue 11 Apr 2017 21:01:58 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

I'm finding the references to laptop, when I do not ahve one confusing.

I do have a long cable, I think it's shorter than the ~40 feet I'll need.

| Tue 11 Apr 2017 23:11:47 #53 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

cerclebois - 10 hours ago  » 
    I'm finding the references to laptop, when I do not ahve one confusing.
    I do have a long cable, I think it's shorter than the ~40 feet I'll need.

Move the homeplug next to your computer or within range of your suspect homeplug and your long network cable and connect to it. Check it's connected via the lan cable and try streaming iplayer. It's just a lot easier with a laptop due to it's portability. Idea is simple connect to your router via the homeplug pair to check whether they work or not.

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 9:33:34 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Graham! Thanks for all your help. It is really appreciated.
    I am, however, not totally clear, so may I ask you to make a diagram of what you intend? Please!
    BTW a Heath-Robinson direct connection from the office (bedroom) means a 10' run to the landing, a drop over the edge to the hall and another 25' in to lounge to Humax.

I'm embarrassed by my obtuseness.

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 12:20:01 #55 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You don't need a diagram. Unplug the homeplug that is by the Humax and plug it into a socket in the office/bedroom (or close enough to connect to your PC). Connect your PC ethernet socket to the moved homeplug that presumably is now close enough to your PC.

Assuming your PC isn't set up to use WiFi check you have an internet connection on your PC (now routed via home wiring). Check performance by streaming some iplayer content to your PC. If that works your homeplugs must be working OK.

If it doesn't go ahead and replace them.

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 12:50:43 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Sorry Graham, but I just couldn't get my head around your advice.

I bought some new Home Plugs and fitted them; demand did not populate, though box showed connection by Ethernet. I think the old ones were bad though, so no waste of pennies. I made wireless connection too, and correct info appeared on the screen. That was a few minutes ago, so population of demand not showing yet. I'll see what has happened later this evening.

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 19:01:32 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Three and half hours later and there's zilch coming up, so it's on to JL tomorrow!

| Wed 12 Apr 2017 21:49:28 #58 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

When you open ON Demand what happens if you press right moving into the apparently blank area to the right of the showcase icons. Is there a message at the top of the screen and can you press OK to load the service. I would buy a long network lead (they are very cheap) to make sure it's not an issue with the homeplugs.

| Thu 13 Apr 2017 9:32:35 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

There is no message at top of screen. I have fitted new HomePlugs.
    Funnily, this morning I tried connecting wirelessly. For a moment the screen showed 'connecting to On demand', only to be followed by a 'not available try a minute later' type message. Peculiar!

I'm back to using the new HomePlugs. Still SNAFU!

| Thu 13 Apr 2017 11:24:45 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.