My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax and freeview play

(102 posts)
  1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Due to circumstances I no longer have a Freesat Freetime box so decided to purchase this new Freeview Play box as satellite is currently out of the question.
    Only had a quick look around so far since setting up and initial feelings are:
    I do not like the Guide, the big blue box over each program that's highlighted I think is awful, setting programs to record as a series seems too long winded with being greeted with 'Please Wait' while it loads up the info before you can make a selection.

Was nice to see the new ITV Player compared to the version what's been available on Freetime.

Ad Skip I'm sure I will just have to get used to pressing the Play button first unless a change is made further down the line.

Do not like or even understand why the decision was made to have a bright blue light on the front of the box, is there any way of turning the brightness down or even turning it off?

| Sun 18 Oct 2015 19:42:01 #81 |
  2. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Not too sure I like the Recordings section.
    I made a few recordings today and wonder if it's really necessary to have large thumbnails, surely just the program names would have sufficed.
    I recorded Coronation Street this evening which was a double episode, both episodes are under the same tab which is good but when selected it goes strait to the most recent episode so then have to navigate to select the first recorded episode. On the plus side at least it shows the recording time next to it and the series order on the lift to determine which episode was selected.
    It would be nice if it could be made to go to the first unwatched episode rather than the most recent recorded.

| Mon 19 Oct 2015 23:30:57 #82 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

-gonzo- - 7 hours ago  » 
    It would be nice if it could be made to go to the first unwatched episode rather than the most recent recorded.

Isn't there an option somewhere in the settings menus for series playback? The Aussie HMS-1000Twith similar menus has this, but it's not clear to me whether this will always play the oldest still on disk or from where you left off, which may not be the oldest episode on disk.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 7:28:08 #83 |
  4. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

Is there somewhere that we can suggest UI improvements to Humax? Do they have a feedback mechanism?

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 8:47:03 #84 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

mhargreaves - 6 minutes ago  » 
    Is there somewhere that we can suggest UI improvements to Humax? Do they have a feedback mechanism?

Only through the usual support email address:

uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 8:53:53 #85 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

surfer

Just received my 1TB version from Humax, I'm not overly impressed so far...
    this is my first Humax box and is probably the worst PVR I've owned for usability.

Things I don't like:-

1) No dedicated review play/skip buttons
    2) Menu guide pressing and holding right arrow should just scroll fast through the guide NOT bring up other days of the week, have one of the colour buttons bring up a +1 or -1 day!
    I hope the arrow buttons are built well, because having to "stop and press" to go through the guide is certainly going to test them
    3) Should be a dedicated button to bring up recordings
    4) Unable to move the channel list around, I want BBC One HD on channel 1 not stuck on the 100's somewhere.
    5) No front panel display
    6) Guide is too big, needs to be made like the guide on Panasonic TV
    7) Update check, why the hell does that take so long ? My old Panasonic PVR told you in about 10 seconds that no update was available!
    8 No Volume button to control my TV volume

and last but not least (for now) I have to leave this machine on all the time as when its put into standby it corrupts my Yamaha soundbar so that no sound comes out weather its TV or Xbox playing, I have to bring this box out of standby to get my sound functional again!

I have a quick question as well, when you are setting up to record a film that splits in 2 for the news, do you just set it to record the first section or do you have to set it up for series record to get both parts ?

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 9:07:07 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I'm interested in looking at other non-UK online reactions to this menu style and non-UK FAQs.

In addition to the Aussie 4TUNE HMS-1000T and the German ICord Evolution does anyone know of any other recorders with the same style menus? I can find some comments on-line from customers in Australia and wouldn't expect much from Germany but don't know really where to look for any more.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 9:12:34 #87 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I get the feeling that they re-assigned the Youview team to work on the UI for this device and they brought across all the worst design decisions rather than look back at what was good about older Humax models.

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 10:22:48 #88 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

gomezz - 20 minutes ago  » 
    I get the feeling that they re-assigned the Youview team to work on the UI for this device and they brought across all the worst design decisions rather than look back at what was good about older Humax models.

Nah they could not have done that, look at all the usual functions associated with a PVR the 4000T has

I could list them but won't...

Oh go on then, Padding, Manual Timer, Edit Timer, Manual Tuning...etc

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 10:46:41 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

They took the existing design of the Aussie 4Tune HMS-1000T which has been available since spring of 2014 in Australia and has also been used for the German ICord Evolution. Which is nice to know as they have probably improved it since the first iteration

| Tue 20 Oct 2015 10:50:01 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.