My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax EPGs not displaying properly

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

prking - 17 mins ago  » 
    There are several programme guides available. The basic now and next system, the free view 7 day programme guide.
    There are then various enhancements which ads further information, longer time periods, backwards epg etc
    There are then complete replacements that don't rely in the Freeview EPG at all.

But are these being broadcast over the air?

| Tue 30 Jan 2024 18:50:40 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Oy You - 1 day ago  » 
    The EPG on all three is no longer populating properly on all three, yet the EPGs on the connected TVs to all of these units work seamlessly. This coincides with the BBC News changes recently made on the Nottingham transmitter

Are you saying that the issues started after you retuned them?

Oy You - 1 day ago  » 
    ... a 9300. The EPG on all three is no longer populating properly on all three ..

The 9300 stopped being able to remember the entire EPG back in 2012. The transmitted EPG is now a lot larger. The EPG populating for the 9300 will be even worse if when you tuned it more than 1transmitter was tuned into. Deleting channels after a retune will not help either, as the 9300 will still be attempted to store the EPG for those manually deleted channels.

The HDR-4000T/5000T do not have a memory capacity issue but will can also forget whole areas of the EPG if you are tuned to more than 1 transmitter. This particularly affects the national channels that have local variations and those that are on the same multiplexes. This includes BBC One and ITV1.

Oy You - 1 day ago  » 
    I have tried everything

Are you certain of that? Did you attempt to tune just to 1 transmitter and afterwards check that you were only tuned to 1 transmitter?

| Tue 30 Jan 2024 19:58:35 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

Luke,
    I assure you that the Humaxes are connected to one transmitter only, I have wiped them by tuning without an aerial and then manually tuned them using the channel numbers from the freeview site. They are tuned to the Nottingham mast only. I am not new to Humax boxes I've had them running successfully for years. They are not smart tuned and they don't have any channels in the 800s or any other such things.

| Tue 30 Jan 2024 22:00:42 #13 |
  4. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Oy You - 3 hours ago  » 
    Luke,
    I assure you that the Humaxes are connected to one transmitter only, I have wiped them by tuning without an aerial and then manually tuned them using the channel numbers from the freeview site. They are tuned to the Nottingham mast only. I am not new to Humax boxes I've had them running successfully for years. They are not smart tuned and they don't have any channels in the 800s or any other such things.

On older Humax boxes (9300) tuning with aerial disconnected does not wipe channels, don't know about newer boxes. However with the latest software an Auto Tune (aerial in, out or fallen into the garden) will delete all channels before actual tuning starts. So to delete all channels simply start an Auto tune, stop it when actual tuning starts but before any channels are found, no need to faff with the aerial. My Panasonic TV and PVRs Auto Tune in the same manor but a message tells you that all current tuning data will be lost.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 1:38:38 #14 |
  5. Biggles

Biggles

special member

Luke - 5 hours ago
    The 9300 stopped being able to remember the entire EPG back in 2012.

Are you sure about that. My partner has a 9300 and I've not noticed any shortage of EPG from the Waltham transmitter. I'll check next time I'm there though but I'm sure I would have noticed at some point since 2012.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 1:44:30 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

The 9300 up until November 2023 was getting a full 7 day EPG - from the Nottingham Transmitter, that is a fact. It is rarely used but we had cause to use it in November and we know it had a full EPG in the early part of the month. The 4000 and 5000 also had fully working EPGs until about the same time, from the same transmitter, the odd gap was a rare occurrence.
    The aerial has not fallen into the garden or any such thing, it gives excellent signal to 3 TVs, all of which have full EPG facilities as well as excellent reception. It points only to the Nottingham transmitter, it will not pick up the other alternatives which are Waltham and Sutton Coldfield as they are in a different direction entirely and are about 10X the distance away.
    The 5000 FVP and the 4000 FPV both have excellent reception but very unreliable EPGs since some time in November.
    All three boxes have been scratch retuned, the 4000 and 5000 have been factory reset and retuned on auto search, then factory reset again and searched manually using the correct channels. Factory resetting clears all channels.
    The post about all the different EPGs being available is nothing more than a red herring, you can not select a different EPG on a European market Humax box so it matters not one jot what's available or not. There is clearly something wrong and I think it's at the broadcast end. Thanks for trying people but there's clearly no answers available on this forum.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 8:37:09 #16 |
  7. prking

prking

The point is that different devices could be using different EPGs. Not that you can select a different EPG. So because a TV is working doesn't tell you much about device B unless you know it's the same EPG.

I think you've reached the correct conclusion that it's a broadcast issue. One thing I can't see mentioned is if any of the boxes are connected to the internet and if their firmware is up to date. (I guess the 9300 is up to date)

To the poster asking about whether the EPGs are broadcast over the air. Some are, some aren't and some (like the EPG on a FVP-4000T or 5000T) are hybrid.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 8:46:50 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

Both the 4000 and 5000 are connected to the internet via WIFI and get good playback via the internet when using the built in players (except ITVX of course!) so no reason to suspect bad WIFI stopping the EPG populating. All have the latest firmware.
    I got up early today (for me) and checked the EPG on the 4000T at just after 7:15 when it powers down on the auto set up and checked the EPG then, I went straight to 6th of Feb and initially it was all there then it started disappearing as I cycled back through! Interestingly the HD numbers (101) onward are much more resilient but not perfect. That's alright if the channel I want to record is a HD one, but mostly they aren't.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 9:57:04 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

After following this discussion I decided to get out my old 5000T out of the cupboard (using an Aura) and plug it in to my TV. Within seconds of powering up the EPG for today was populated across all channels. After 5 minutes the EPG for the next 7 days was filled with Wed 6th Feb being populated across most channels till about midnight, but curiously both Channel 4 SD and HD are showing 'no programme information'.

Transmitter is 32 miles away and I am using an indoor aerial. Signal strength 80 to 90% on most muxes
    Signal quality 100%.

If this. were a problem with older modelHumax PVRs I guess we would be seeing far more posts on
    forums like this. than there are.

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 10:42:54 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Oy You - 1 hour ago  » 
    I got up early today (for me) and checked the EPG on the 4000T at just after 7:15 when it powers down on the auto set up and checked the EPG then, I went straight to 6th of Feb and initially it was all there then it started disappearing as I cycled back through!

What channel were you tuned to when the EPG started to disappear?

| Wed 31 Jan 2024 11:26:52 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.