My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Humax EPGs not displaying properly

(60 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Oy You - 1 day ago  » 
    Thats what I’m talking about. Its an automated system that inly tells you if a particular transmitter is transmitting or not. I already know whether it is transmitting or not because my tellly is working! There is nowhere to describe that the EPG is useless

Do you mean this part of the BBC website?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problem-assistant

I followed the trail pretending I hide the same issue as you. There were about 8 pages in the trail with the last ones having a "No, I need more help" button. After the last of those pages there was a selection screen to help categorise the issue being reported. The closes was that it was a channel reception issue. It then gives you the first text box where you can enter up to 200 characters to state which service E.g. EPG the issue is with. The next page has a text box for up to 1000 characters to supply further detail.

I used a browser with an add blocker and various other blocking options but the website appeared to be working fine for me even with those.

You could try a different browser.

| Mon 5 Feb 2024 17:55:11 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Cupboardy

iron - 57 mins ago  » 
    The description of gaps in the displayed EPG does seem very similar to what happened to my old PVR, a Topfield 5800. That model had a fixed size internal EPG table with space for 14,000 entries but eventually that was insufficient and gaps started to appear in the EPG displayed on the TV.
    Do the 4000T and 5000T have a fixed size table for EPG information which is now too small to contain the whole programme guide?
    Based on an experiment done today I think they may have.
    Out of habit after retuning my 5000T I always go through and delete the channels I know I will not watch. This leaves only 50 to 55 and I have never seen large gaps in the EPG.
    Today I retuned to get all 178 available channels. After only a few minutes massive gaps appeared in the EPG and I would agree with the original poster that it would be very difficult to set timers or to be honest even find out what is on later in the day.
    After removing 124 channels to leave only the 54 I wanted, the EPG was completely restored to it's gapless state.
    Can any other users of the Humax 4000/5000 PVRs confirm my observations that gaps in the EPG occur only with a large number of channels? It didn't take me long to do, probably only 30 minutes.

I think you may be into something iron....

I've trimmed my channel list down to 48, and I now have a fully populated EPG that's remained stable for at least an hour.

Going to keep an eye on it over the next few days. Fingers crossed.

| Mon 5 Feb 2024 18:47:21 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

Iron,
    It seems to work for me too, I've trimmed my channel list down on my 4000T considerably and the EPG has filled up and seems to be stable at the moment, I'm going to keep my eye on it over the next few days. I'm going to have a go at my 5000T now, I'll see if I can get that working properly.
    What I don't understand is why/how it all went wrong in November. The number of services is about the same. Let's hope you've found a workaround though.

| Mon 5 Feb 2024 20:54:33 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

I can confirm that with a much reduced channel list on all of my machines, I now have stable EPGs without significant gaps. I have no explanation as to why it all went wrong late last year and why the boxes could suddenly no longer cope with the full number of available channel choices but at least I have working usable boxes again.
    I’m struggling to believe that Humax are unaware of this problem (and workaround) and don’t seem to be on top of it!

| Fri 9 Feb 2024 10:39:17 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

Many thanks to all who contributed , but mainly to Iron who came up with the solution, much gratitude to you.

| Fri 9 Feb 2024 10:43:46 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Can anybody suggest what is the minimum number of channels to be removed? Has anybody experimented with doing a manual tune and omitting one of the multiplexes?

| Fri 9 Feb 2024 12:26:02 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oy You

Martin, I have not done that experiment. What I do know is that a full retune on the Nottingham mast will find 178 services. I am not sure if that includes Radio as well as TV. I comfortably deleted channels to end up with 75 TV channels and 15 radio stations, total 90 services and I now have full 8 day EPGs on both my 4000T and 5000T. I am convinced that the EPGs would cope with 100 services because I had round about that before I realised there were loads of Radio services I could delete that might help. Beyond that I wouldn’t know. Deleting a channel at a time until you find the breaking point of the EPG would be a time consuming and impractical exercise. I would also think that some information from Humax regarding the size and make up of the EPGs would be a lot more practical use and I would have thought, very much in their own interest.

| Fri 9 Feb 2024 14:29:56 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Supatramp

How do I delete the number of channels in the EPG?

| Sun 18 Feb 2024 6:01:12 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

niknak

Supatramp - 4 hours ago  » 
    How do I delete the number of channels in the EPG?

Settings - Channel settings - Edit channel list.

| Sun 18 Feb 2024 10:24:31 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Techman

As a new member using a 5000 I suffer from missing epg. I use the sandy heath transmitter. This has only started in the last couple of months. Tried updating channels and the software. Is Humax aware that there's a problem?

| Thu 22 Feb 2024 15:26:27 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.