My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Clem_Dye

It’s strange how some Aura owners seem to be delighted with their boxes, whilst others seem to hit issue after issue. It does seem typical Humax though — release a product then have customers beta test it and find all the bugs. Of course, even with the best testing, not every bug or issue will be trapped, but this thread is now 63 pages long, and full of owners having problems. Nothing in this world is perfect, but it does seem that Humax has a lot of things to fix. It will probably be ready for prime time in a year or so’s time, knowing Humax’s track record.

Me, I’m glad that I went for a Manhattan T3-R last week. It has its own quirks and foibles, and whilst it may not be in the same league as the Aura, the issues seem few and far between, and the technical support seems spot-on. Early days, of course, and apart from one issue, which has already been fixed in a later firmware update it all seems OK thus far (touch wood), with just a few minor niggles that I can live with (design issues that bug me, but probably not other owners).

| Tue 12 Jan 2021 23:42:26 #638 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

TheMole

Yeah I feel like I have been fortunate. My box is great. Though it wasn't ordered till middle of Dec so I wonder if some of the early issues were ironed out by then. Just wish the app would hurry up and they would sort Netflix

| Wed 13 Jan 2021 16:14:14 #639 |
  3. The Moog

The Moog

Martin Liddle - 1 day ago  » 

The Moog - 2 hours ago  » 
    I also seem to have a sound issue on most recordings, where every few minutes I have a short loss of sound (less than half a second), which again is liveable with for the time being, but needs fixing.

What make and model of TV do you have? I experienced a similar problem with the combination of an HDR-FOX T2 and an LG-49UJ750V.

I have a Philips 65OLED803, but the Humax is plugged into a Marantz AV Receiver that outputs the sound. Sound works as expected on live TV and apps, but has this dropout behaviour on recordings. My previous Humax FVP-4000T worked fine with the same setup.

| Wed 13 Jan 2021 16:45:56 #640 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

AceGrace

576190 - 1 day ago  » 
    The blank screen issue, hit the home button on the remote, this should get you to google tv and a picture. Then make sure you exit by choosing TV from the banner at the top.
    Hitting TV or back on the remote will not work.

That worked!

| Wed 13 Jan 2021 19:28:47 #641 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I also seem to have a sound issue on most recordings, where every few minutes I have a short loss of sound (less than half a second), which again is liveable with for the time being, but needs fixing.

What make and model of TV do you have? I experienced a similar problem with the combination of an HDR-FOX T2 and an LG-49UJ750V.

I have a Philips 65OLED803, but the Humax is plugged into a Marantz AV Receiver that outputs the sound. Sound works as expected on live TV and apps, but has this dropout behaviour on recordings. My previous Humax FVP-4000T worked fine with the same setup.

Does this affect HD channels or SD ones or both ? HD channels use a different audio compression codec to SD ones.

| Wed 13 Jan 2021 19:29:03 #642 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

abx

Hi everyone. I've been using the Aura for a few weeks and thought I'd share my experience so far and (hopefully!) get some help from the community. Thanks to everyone who has already shared their experience.

Like many, I've been a happy Fox-T2 owner for many years, but it was starting to fail, so I needed something new. Having researched last year, I was ready to go for the Manhattan T3-R until I saw the Humax Aura had been released. I saw the many negative reviews, and lack of android app, and lack of support for some apps (like netflix), but thought I was worth giving it a go. (I'm still not decided; I might get a Manhattan so that I can compare them side-by-side and then return one of them.)

Overall, it's been a better experience than I was expecting based on reading reviews. But I guess there's a lot of issues overall, and each user is only experiencing a subset of them. The interface is pretty good, easy to use, responsive, etc (although see below about size). The Amazon Prime and Kodi apps are working nicely, and having these available on the main box is nice (previously I've been using a Roku for streaming apps like Amazon, and a linux media pc for Kodi). But the lack of some apps like Netflix and Curzon home cinema mean that it's unlikely the Aura will be a one-box solution, so if I need to keep using other devices for streaming apps, then maybe I don't need to pay the extra for the Aura... Of course like everyone I'm eager to see the dedicated app become available, but am also pleased that it's already possible to stream live tv and recordings over the local network (and thus essentially to download recordings, albeit in the .ts format).

But there are some rough edges, which take the shine off paying the premium for the Aura. So if anyone can offer help with these, it would be much appreciated! (I contacted humax support nearly 2 weeks ago, but have still not had any kind of response. Below are excerpts from that email)

I can't get the remote control to work with my TV. The remote is paired with the Aura box and controls that as expected. I have a middle-aged LG TV, and the remote for my old (and faithful!) HRD-Fox T2 worked fine with it. I've tried all the LG codes stated in the manual, and although some of them do cause the TV to turn off, and I'm able to 'confirm' them with the OK button, the remote is only able to turn the TV on and off and change the source/input. I'm not able to control the volume of the TV, nor access the settings menu of the TV. Is it meant to work as I'm expecting? (The ideal is that I would not need to use my TV's dedicated remote control at all - as has been the case with the Fox T2)

Is it possible to change the size of the text in the EPG (in particular to make it bigger)? I find the text quite small and narrow and therefore uncomfortable to read. There's plenty of empty space to be used by wider text. A bit of googling suggests that it should be possible to change the text size for an android TV, but I was not able to find such an option in the Aura. (Although I've used android phones and tablets for many years, the Aura is my first 'Android TV' experience.) The EPG is my main view on any PVR, so I'd really like it to be comfortable to use.

I understand that the Aura has two stand-by modes, normal and 'deep' -- correct? i.e. if I hold down the standby button for 3 seconds, the box asks if I want to switch it off. But once I've done that, how should I be able to turn it back on again? Neither the remote nor the button on the box itself appeared to have any effect, so I resorted to pulling the power cord and plugging it back in.
    Also, does anyone know what the expected power usage is in the normal stand-by mode? (I wonder if it's not really saving much power compared to being 'on')

... and the reason I'd looked into the deep stand-by mode was that on one occasion I could no longer see live TV. i.e. when I selected a freeview channel and used the 'Live TV' button on the remote, the box responded, but I had a blank screen instead of the expected video content. The channel information displayed at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds as expected, but not the content itself! I was able to record the live transmission and watch it by playing the recording ('chasing' the live recording), but no channel would actually display 'live'. After a hard reboot it was fine. I think a few other people have reported similar in these forums.

Is there a way to disconnect a bluetooth device, specifically headphones? I was able to pair my bluetooth headphones no problem, but then I couldn't see how to disconnect. (on my android phone, I can just open the bluetooth menu, tap on the headphones and choose 'disconnect') The Aura seemed to take priority with the headphones; even getting my phone to connect to the headphones didn't have any effect until I went in to the system settings on the Aura (which means you're no longer hearing/seeing live tv) and then I could hear my phone audio, but as soon as I went back to live tv on the Aura the headphones switched back to that. So I just had to unpair the headphones again. Not the end of the world, but having to pair my headphones every time I want to use them is a bit of a faff.

Any tips welcome. I'll update if I make any progress...

| Wed 13 Jan 2021 23:18:09 #643 |
  7. The Moog

The Moog

grahamlthompson - 17 hours ago  » 

Does this affect HD channels or SD ones or both ? HD channels use a different audio compression codec to SD ones.

I definitely get audio dropouts on HD recordings, I don't think I have recorded anything in SD yet to test.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 12:37:17 #644 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hi AceGrace glad i could help

Yeah i had to reset a couple of times before i discovered this!

Just remember when leaving the Google TV screen, alway use the TV icon on the top banner and all will be well.

| Thu 14 Jan 2021 17:21:45 #645 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ajc

I received a new Aura box two days ago to replace my Humax Youview box which has been playing up. So far, I am impressed with the speed and facilities, a big improvement on thje Youview box.

However, I use my elderly B&O audio system for sound output and this does not have SPDIF input so I obtained a Digital to analogue converter. This does not work on the Aura but works fine with the Youview box SPDIF output.

When I contacted Humax support, I was told that this was because the Aura had an updated SPDIF interface so I asked for a definition of the interface in order to obtain a converter of the correct spec and was told to look on the website and the call was terminated.

Having searched the website, I can't find any specification for this interface. Searching the internet, I can't find any reference to an updated SPDIF interface which postdates the introdiuction of the Youview box.

Can anyone throw any light on this problem or is the SPDIF interface on the Aura possibly faulty?

| Fri 15 Jan 2021 14:11:50 #646 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ajc - 59 mins ago  » 
    I received a new Aura box two days ago to replace my Humax Youview box which has been playing up. So far, I am impressed with the speed and facilities, a big improvement on thje Youview box.
    However, I use my elderly B&O audio system for sound output and this does not have SPDIF input so I obtained a Digital to analogue converter. This does not work on the Aura but works fine with the Youview box SPDIF output.
    When I contacted Humax support, I was told that this was because the Aura had an updated SPDIF interface so I asked for a definition of the interface in order to obtain a converter of the correct spec and was told to look on the website and the call was terminated.
    Having searched the website, I can't find any specification for this interface. Searching the internet, I can't find any reference to an updated SPDIF interface which postdates the introdiuction of the Youview box.
    Can anyone throw any light on this problem or is the SPDIF interface on the Aura possibly faulty?

Not actually used this but you can send it back if it does not work.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Audio-Extractor-60Hz-embed/dp/B07TZRXKYG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=IA8J76L0CN1U&tag=blusas008-21&dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1610719771&sprefix=hdmi+audio+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMUhLVjA4UjVJQk5LJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTAzMTI0M0o2TDNGNFZZQ1FBTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTgyNzUwMVVFODM4NDg3VzVXViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

| Fri 15 Jan 2021 15:12:09 #647 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.