My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Only HD recordings are encrypted on the box, SD recordings aren't. SD recordings are available directly via FTP. I'll put some short HD recordings online at silver point of anyone wants to try uploading to a box on which the recordings weren't generated. I doubt they'd play but worth a try.

| Fri 5 Feb 2021 23:01:50 #831 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 16 hours ago  » 
    Only HD recordings are encrypted on the box, SD recordings aren't. SD recordings are available directly via FTP. I'll put some short HD recordings online at silver point of anyone wants to try uploading to a box on which the recordings weren't generated. I doubt they'd play but worth a try.

Not sure that the fact that you can ftp SD recording to a PC means that the actual recording is not encrypted. In fact the BBC1-SD recording I copied indicated that the content is being decrypted, reduced in resolution and frame doubled.

BBC1-SD content is transmitted at 720 x 576 at 25 frames/sec. That's the data a pvr copies to the hard disk.

The file I created using FTP was reduced in resolution to 544 x 576 and frame doubled to 50 fps.

What results did you get from a BBC1 recording ?

That's the resolution used by the very worst quality SD channels.

In fact by reducing the frame rate to the standard 25 fps, using free software I was able to scale up the resolution to HD 720p dimensions.

I then copied this to a usb stick and compared replay from the aura rear usb port using VLC with playback from a 5000T usb port.

It looks clear that replay from the aura is using drop frame processing to output at 60Hz. This produces noticeable motion artefacts especially on panning shots and moving titles (due to missing frames in the output producing a visible slight jump between adjacent frames) .

Replay from the UK standard HDR-1000S outputs at 50Hz and the motion artefacts are not present.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 15:58:50 #832 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I transfer across the raw file with no encryption and don't process anything at all; it is unencrypted.

I've no idea what you're doing when your say you create a file using FTP. There's no creation needed, it just transfers and is playable (just as HD ones are unplayable).

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:16:10 #833 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 9 mins ago  » 
    I transfer across the raw file with no encryption and don't process anything at all; it is unencrypted.
    I've no idea what you're doing when your say you create a file using FTP. There's no creation needed, it just transfers and is playable (just as HD ones are unplayable).

Well the source file and the file you get are clearly not the same. Ergo ftp is not transferring the file as is.

I will have to create another SD recording and download same source using ftp and from the webif. By your argument they should be identical.

There is no reason why the ftp server on the box can't be setup up to decrypt the data streamed to the Filezilla client.

That's the way a HDR-FOX-T2 works. All recordings are encrypted but SD ones are decrypted on copying to usb. The box can be fooled into doing the same for HD recordings.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:26:58 #834 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

THe source file IS the file that FTP transfers. We've discussed this on the other thread, the file stored in the "recordings" directory is what has been recorded, and is transferrable raw.

Perhaps the attached video will show (if it doesn't upload I'll trim it down).

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:41:52 #835 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Bear in mind this is a tiny recording because I started and stopped it mid-flow just to get a small file size.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:42:34 #836 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Third time lucky - youtube link instead as MP4 uploads failed for some reason.

https://youtu.be/v579Lw6puEQ

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:43:48 #837 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

So as you can see, I get a MPEG2 file with the correct resolution and frame rate. Where on earth your reduced resolution and doubled frame rate come from I don't know UNLESS you have clicked the "convert" option on the aura as that transcodes it.

As you can see I just get to download the raw file, unconverted and in broadcast resolution.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:49:08 #838 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 5 mins ago  » 
    So as you can see, I get a MPEG2 file with the correct resolution and frame rate. Where on earth your reduced resolution and doubled frame rate come from I don't know UNLESS you have clicked the "convert" option on the aura as that transcodes it.
    As you can see I just get to download the raw file, unconverted and in broadcast resolution.

Look up the relationship between pixel aspect ration (par) and frame aspect ratio.

It is not broadcast resolution. All BBC-SD channels are broadcast at 720 x 576.

720 x 576 creates a 16:9 image using square pixels. The file you get is anamorphic. To create a 16:9 image the pixels are wider than high. There is no longer a 1:1 relation between the source pixels and the image pixels.

I have set Breakfast tomorrow morning on both the Aura and Vbox to compare the files. I will use FTP and the webif to create two copies of the downloaded file.

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 19:57:28 #839 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

THat's not the case, BBC is commonly using 704x576 for SD broadcasts. What I've downloaded is the SD broadcast output directly stored as a transport stream.

e.g. see https://tvforum.uk/tvhome/bbc-four-hd-dog-42440

| Sat 6 Feb 2021 21:13:30 #840 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.