My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

IPlayer problem

(318 posts)
  1. Trev

Trev

special member

A1944 - 13 hours ago  » 

antient - 5 mins ago  » 
    I wonder what Human mean when they say “very soon” and “shortly”. Are they thinking in terms of the life span of a mayfly, the three score and ten years of man, or perhaps geological time?

Try asking them.

At least they are human so might answer

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 8:37:07 #162 |
  2. antient

antient

Trev - 9 mins ago  » 

A1944 - 13 hours ago  » 

antient - 5 mins ago  » 
    I wonder what Human mean when they say “very soon” and “shortly”. Are they thinking in terms of the life span of a mayfly, the three score and ten years of man, or perhaps geological time?

Try asking them.

At least they are human so might answer

I’m only human too, and typos happen. It’s always a pain trying to proofread something you wrote yourself. You see what you expect to see, not what’s actually there.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 8:48:02 #163 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

relpet

Excellent post, Antient. This line from the BBC's site is inaccurate.
    "We're aware that some people using Humax Freesat / Freeview set-top boxes are unable to play content in BBC applications (iPlayer, News and Sport) despite being able to open the apps."
    Some should read any if this forum is anything to go by. That must means thousands of people (hundreds of thousands?) cannot get iPlayer on their TV at present.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 8:55:55 #164 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Manc

Hi guys - new poster here!

I have the Humax HDR1100S and getting problems with the iPlayer.

YouTube through my box sometimes gives "you are being directed to youtube.com" and then shows 12 grey boxes. Sometimes, YouTube works fine. Anybody else getting this ?

All the non-BBC apps work ok .... just waiting for the update.

ohhh.... btw

I have the FreeSat app on my (android) phone and the iPlayer works fine on that.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 9:09:44 #165 |
  5. antient

antient

Manc - 2 mins ago  » 
    Hi guys - new poster here!
    I have the Humax HDR1100S and getting problems with the iPlayer.
    YouTube through my box sometimes gives "you are being directed to youtube.com" and then shows 12 grey boxes. Sometimes, YouTube works fine. Anybody else getting this ?
    All the non-BBC apps work ok .... just waiting for the update.
    ohhh.... btw
    I have the FreeSat app on my (android) phone and the iPlayer works fine on that.

I have been told that the iPlayer app on Humax boxes does not connect directly to the BBC servers, but interacts with them via a server or servers operated by Humax themselves. If that is the case, then it is very likely that Humax has made a configuration change to their servers which is causing the current problem. It begs the question “Why wasn’t the change rigorously tested before being rolled out on a public-facing service?”

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 9:19:06 #166 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

relpet

Yep. SAme here. I catch up with Euronews, CNN, ABC News and NBC through YouTube. Exactly the same grey boxes yesterday. There was a message saying the YouTube app should be installed on this device. Since YouTube came pre-installed on the box I can't see how this should be necessary or even possible.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 9:33:28 #167 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

relpet

Yep. SAme here. I catch up with Euronews, CNN, ABC News and NBC through YouTube. Exactly the same grey boxes yesterday. There was a message saying the YouTube app should be installed on this device. Since YouTube came pre-installed on the box I can't see how this should be necessary or even possible.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 9:34:57 #168 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

DerekJJ

Me too! iPlayer and YouTube.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 10:14:10 #169 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tom Corbett

Hi Everybody.
    New here. Apologies for posting things which have probably already been posted because, - you guessed it - set up our new Humax FVP 5000T only to find BBC catchup not working properly.

BBC explanation https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/issues/bbc-iplayer/humax-playback-fault

The string is now a bit long to be able to comfortably read it all, but have managed the last few pages so thanks to everybody for convincing me it is not my own finger problems. I was a bit shocked at first to see that the string started last January, but it seems that was another issue with i-player.

Just to confirm as others have said, we can access BBC i-player programs on our desktop and can cast from our tablet.

Might, on principle, return the Humax as not being fit for purpose, for a refund if they don't sort it fairly quickly. But as we can work around the problem will wait a couple of weeks.

Cheers

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 10:17:20 #170 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

antient - 55 mins ago  » 
    I have been told that the iPlayer app on Humax boxes does not connect directly to the BBC servers, but interacts with them via a server or servers operated by Humax themselves. If that is the case, then it is very likely that Humax has made a configuration change to their servers which is causing the current problem.

Why do you think that "it is very likely" that Humax have changed something? I would have thought it is equally possible that the BBC have made a change that breaks the existing Humax server configuration. We do know that the problems started immediately after an iPlayer update but they are pretty frequent anyway.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 10:18:48 #171 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.