My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

IPlayer problem

(318 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tom Corbett

The BBC seem to think that it is Humax's fault --- but then they would, wouldn't they!

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 10:25:23 #172 |
  2. antient

antient

I cannot really understand why there should be any need for the iPlayer app to access BBC content via a Humax server in the first place. Why not connect directly? Does Humax want to monitor what users of its hardware are watching?

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 10:29:43 #173 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

antient - 47 mins ago  » 
    I cannot really understand why there should be any need for the iPlayer app to access BBC content via a Humax server in the first place. Why not connect directly? Does Humax want to monitor what users of its hardware are watching?

I may be totally wrong but I would imagine that if the only servers hosting the content were based at the BBC, it would need to be one hell of an enormous server for everyone to directly access it without bottlenecks. Farming out the server capacity alleviates this, until something goes wrong.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 11:20:04 #174 |
  4. Trev

Trev

special member

antient - 2 hours ago  » 
    I’m only human too, and typos happen. It’s always a pain trying to proofread something you wrote yourself. You see what you expect to see, not what’s actually there.

I didn't think it was a typo, I think it was an autocorrect error. My phone does exactly the same.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 11:47:15 #175 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

nickmac

I am chucking my Humax box out and going for another make. The BBC are blaming Humax and Humax are blaming the BBC. The fault, I believe, lies with Humax as they are ignoring enquiries and complaints. So, Humax. You have lost a customer and it looks as if you will lose more

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 12:19:34 #176 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    I may be totally wrong but I would imagine that if the only servers hosting the content were based at the BBC, it would need to be one hell of an enormous server for everyone to directly access it without bottlenecks.

I believe the infrastructure relies heavily on cached content stores provide by various suppliers.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 12:47:30 #177 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

antient - 2 hours ago  » 
    I cannot really understand why there should be any need for the iPlayer app to access BBC content via a Humax server in the first place. Why not connect directly?

I have to say that I have never understood why the requests go via Humax servers.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 12:49:25 #178 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

nickmac - 30 mins ago  » 
    I am chucking my Humax box out and going for another make. The BBC are blaming Humax and Humax are blaming the BBC. The fault, I believe, lies with Humax as they are ignoring enquiries and complaints. So, Humax. You have lost a customer and it looks as if you will lose more

Are Humax blaming the BBC? I know the BBC are hinting that it is a Humax problem.

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 12:51:12 #179 |
  9. antient

antient

Martin Liddle - 5 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    I may be totally wrong but I would imagine that if the only servers hosting the content were based at the BBC, it would need to be one hell of an enormous server for everyone to directly access it without bottlenecks.

I believe the infrastructure relies heavily on cached content stores provide by various suppliers.

So how would that work with apps on Android and iOS/iPadOS devices? Which supplier would be providing the cache?

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 12:57:47 #180 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

antient - 6 mins ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 5 mins ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

So how would that work with apps on Android and iOS/iPadOS devices? Which supplier would be providing the cache?

Possibly your ISP?

| Wed 7 Oct 2020 13:05:20 #181 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.