My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Is it worth buying an FVP 5000T in 2021

(21 posts)
  1. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

Hi Guys,

I need a new recording box, doesn't have to be 4K and I'm open to either Freesat or Freeview.

The Humax FVP 5000T seems to to everything I would need, but in view of the shiny new 4K Humax box, do we think the FVP 5000T will be obsolete (and unsupported) some time soon.

I know this might involve a bit of looking into the future, but just wanted to hear what others think.

Regards,

Paul

| Mon 7 Jun 2021 12:50:12 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

paulrichardson - 3 hours ago  » 
    The Humax FVP 5000T seems to to everything I would need, but in view of the shiny new 4K Humax box, do we think the FVP 5000T will be obsolete (and unsupported) some time soon.

I don't think there is much evidence of Humax doing anything to improve the software. Over the last year here has been a fix for a problem with searching in YouTube that affected a number of Humax models and a fix for an unknown issue that rendered most of the players unusable and took a very long time to arrive. As a recorder it is reasonably reliable (but not as good as the earlier HDR-FOX T2). The thing that really irritates me is the inconsistent and slow user interface; if you want to proceed, go to somewhere you can test a box to see if you could put up with it. I put up with it because it is much better with subtitles than an HDR-FOX T2 but am seriously considering an Aura when the last quirks in that are resolved. It is very notable that Humax appear to have put much more post release effort into the Aura that the FVP-5000T received.

| Mon 7 Jun 2021 16:48:28 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

do you think it will get apple tv app?

| Thu 10 Jun 2021 8:28:21 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

macaronipie

FVP-5000T Noisy, hot and slow, often doesn't respond to the remote control.

Aura still in development, early customers report the Aura suffers from pixellation and dropouts
    on live TV. My Aura does the 5000T is daisy chained to the Aura and the TV to the 5000T.
    Aura suffers from poor signal quality on some muxes, but the 5000T and the TV receive perfect
    signal quality. Those customers who have had their Auras replaced because of this issue report
    their new Aura does not suffer from poor signal quality.

My Aura suffers from audio loss when switching between TV Speakers and Audio System this requires
    the Aura to be restarted, sometimes this can be accompanied by picture loss.
    Even switching TV channels can result in audio and or picture loss.
    Occasionally recorded programmes will not start, restart required.

New software is being Beta tested so may improve some problems for me but probably not the poor
    signal quality, I am thinking of asking for a replacement unit.

| Thu 10 Jun 2021 9:08:56 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

kr002 - 3 hours ago  » 

No.

| Thu 10 Jun 2021 11:30:20 #5 |
  6. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

On a slightly different note, I wondered what the differences are between the 4000T and the 5000T?

I can get a second hand 1TB 4000T from CEX for around £50, and the 1TB 5000T is around £100.

I know I'm being a bit stingy, but should I save £50 and go for the 4000T

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:11:06 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

paulrichardson - 1 hour ago  » 
    On a slightly different note, I wondered what the differences are between the 4000T and the 5000T?
    I can get a second hand 1TB 4000T from CEX for around £50, and the 1TB 5000T is around £100.
    I know I'm being a bit stingy, but should I save £50 and go for the 4000T

Nothing apart from external cosmetics, they have the same internal boards.

| Tue 29 Jun 2021 11:22:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

9. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

kr002 - 2 weeks ago  » 

There is an Apple TV+ app for Aura, but not working for some people at the moment. Get a firestick or Apple TV box (expensive) if you need it. My Aura is infinitely better than my 4000T which now seems very slow in operation, hot and noisy. I understand the 5000T was also a bit slow too.

| Wed 30 Jun 2021 18:02:54 #9 |
  10. paulrichardson

paulrichardson

I've just bought a CHEAP DTR-T4000 BT box.

If someone thinks this thread should now be deleted, I understand.

| Wed 30 Jun 2021 18:05:21 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.