My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

My Aura is not a Lorra Lorra Laughs

(31 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

macaronipie

Previously the Aura remote could be used to alter the volume on both HD and SD channels
    and mute the sound on both.
    As I explained recently the function was lost firstly with Mute and then with the Volume control.

However after powering down and letting it sit for 30 minutes today the function has now
    resumed on both HD and SD channels and whether it is set as Stereo or Surround.
    So you are wrong there.

Auto Standby is set for 6 hours, it never gets the chance to.

Deep Standby Schedule is set for Never.

To quote “just shows you simply have not bothered to read the public beta software threads”, well how do you know that and that it is quite an insulting statement.
    Quite often I read your answers to questions or inputs to threads I often think your answers give the wrong information, as in the volume control on the remote you gave is incorrect in my case, and very often your replies go off topic and give answers to questions that are not asked. I have noticed this on other forums you take part in.

Telling me yours replays recordings without issue is hardly relevant to the fact that mine on occasion doesn’t, I am well aware others may not or do not suffer the same problems I have. I posted to see if any valuable information may be imparted, but to reply, well mine doesn’t is rather juvenile.

If you have anything interesting or correct to say then be my guest otherwise don’t bother responding.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 10:44:14 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Are you saying if you set the box audio output to surround you can control the TV volume using the Aura remote volume control with it set to control the Aura not the TV when tuned to a HD channel ?

I certainly cannot. In my case I have to use the AVR remote. The TV volume is muted.

This is the same on all HD capable Humax boxes starting with the Foxsat-HDR, HDR-1000S, FVP-5000T etc.

I have a led connected to one of the Aura rear ports powered by it's 5V output.

The ports are also powered off when the box enters full low power sby. It's a foolproof way to see if the HDD is shut down. Incidentally the box powers off unused tuners to save energy.

So I am not wrong.

The HDD is supposed to turn off. It uses more than 0.5W alone making it impossible to conform to energy saving regs for all pvrs.

The older boxes had a slightly higher limit of 0.75W which includes the Foxsat-HDR.

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/power-saving-in-standby-is-it-worth-it

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 11:35:24 #22 |
  3. brian

brian

special member

grahamlthompson - 13 mins ago  » 
    Are you saying if you set the box audio output to surround you can control the TV volume using the Aura remote volume control with it set to control the Aura not the TV when tuned to a HD channel ?
    I certainly cannot. In my case I have to use the AVR remote. The TV volume is muted.
    This is the same on all HD capable Humax boxes starting with the Foxsat-HDR, HDR-1000S, FVP-5000T etc.
    So I am not wrong.

Graham, when my aura is set to output Surround, I am still able to control the aura volume using the remote, this works with HD, and SD channels.

The same also works for me with my HD/HDR-Fox T2 boxes. I think that it all depends on how the TV handles HDMI audio.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 11:55:54 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If I check the AVR audio out when the Kitchen TV is connected to Zone 2 out on my AVR.

The AVR switches to PCM stereo despite a setting of Surround. If I turn off Zone 2 out it reverts to DD 2.0 or 5.1 according to channel content. ITV-HD is always 2.0.

As the Aura remote also controls the volume it must be outputting PCM audio not Dolby Digital.

I can get output from all the connected speakers from a 2.0 input by using the AVR DTS-Neural X encoder.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 12:15:26 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Suspect what is happening is the handshake from feeding two TV's one of which cannot use Dolby Digital is forcing the box to output PCM stereo. So of course the volume control works.

When I can turn off the Kitchen TV. I will replay a recording with known 5.1 audio with only the lounge TV connected. I reckon the AVR info will say 5.1 DD with the 5.1 speakers all having outputs. And the Aura box volume control will not work.

Battlestar Galactica has 5.1 Audio - Not sure if its DD 5.1 or DD+ 5.1.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 12:37:58 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Brian does your TV have a way of showing what audio it is receiving ? I don't need this because all the audio is handled by a AVR that tells you what the audio input actually is. The TV Audio is not used.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 12:44:21 #26 |
  7. brian

brian

special member

grahamlthompson - 7 mins ago  » 
    Brian does your TV have a way of showing what audio it is receiving ? I don't need this because all the audio is handled by a AVR that tells you what the audio input actually is. The TV Audio is not used.

I haven't been able to find anything.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 12:52:27 #27 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I will have a play later. I reckon the HDCP handshake is ignoring the surround setting and forcing the Aura to output PCM stereo because the TV reports no support for Dolby Digital. The AVR will tell me what the Aura is actually doing.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 12:58:42 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Found a movie with Dolby Digital + 5.1 audio.

The amp info shows the incoming volume from the Aura and using the box volume control the shown volume level does not move though the volume level does.

Next changed to channel 5-HD live. Aura outputs PCM 2.0 stereo. Looks as if the Aura only outputs Dolby Digital if surround sound is present. I wonder if the Aura switches to multichannel PCM for output with more than two audio channels thus retaining volume control. This is what happens if you try and play back Surround Sound to an older AVR that lacks the decoder required for the codec. Eg My Sons older Denon AVR does this on bluerays that have lossless HD audio codecs.

Guessing if you could actually see what audio codec the TV is using it would be 2.0 or 5.1 Multi Channel PCM.

Just changed the live channel from the Jumanji recording to BBC1-HD and the amp immediately switched to PCM audio,

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 13:47:55 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DarrenHill - 2 weeks ago  » 

james_uk - 2 days ago  » 
    Do you know if anything has been improved with the signal strength as the OP mentioned?
    Is this a general issue?
    I don't have an Aura yet but considering one, this is something that worries me a little as i have seen it mentioned a few times

I'm still having intermittent issues with mine - sometimes nice watchable signal and other times totally unwatchable (either black screen or pixelation galore, both with garbled sound). Signal strength of >90%, but quality <20% and in some cases 0%.
    What's most odd though is that the Tv (connected to the same aerial line via the feedthrough from the Aura) sees signal strength 100% and quality >90% and no issues at all, even when the Aura is heavily affected.
    Had a play with some attenuators and no improvement, so it's most likely the opposite issue and a lack of signal strength for the Aura's tuners (but not the TV's one). Time to look into (another) booster, alongside the one in the loft.

Any other WiFi kit close to the box especially your router ? How close are your box HDMI outputs to the box RF inputs. Are your coax RF interconnects made from quality double screened cable like WF100 satellite grade cable using F connectors with f to Belling Lee converters where needed. .

HDMI cables can emit RF in the UHF band. Crap coax interconnects can easily knock out Freeview reception.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 20:58:07 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.