My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

My HDR-1000S 1TB is locking up my home network!

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Rebooted my router.

The "LAN cable is unplugged/plugged" messages continued with the router off, rebooting and fully booted.

Next, I did a factory reset of the HDR-1000S and then as the box restarted the "LAN cable is unplugged/plugged" messages began again.

At the network section of the reset it said that it was not connected to broadband!

After the reset completed the "LAN cable is unplugged/plugged" messages continued.

Am I correct in thinking that all of the above points to the problem being with the network hardware in the Humax box?

Paul

| Tue 22 Mar 2016 18:37:15 #11 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As I understand it the HDR-1000S is connected to a switch which is then connected to your router.

Have you tested the cable from the switch to the router? What else is connected to this switch?

When the HDR-1000S is disconnected from the switch do the messages stop?

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 8:17:00 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 1 hour ago  » 
    As I understand it the HDR-1000S is connected to a switch which is then connected to your router.
    Have you tested the cable from the switch to the router? What else is connected to this switch?
    When the HDR-1000S is disconnected from the switch do the messages stop?

Good point. My 3 HBs and my HDR are connected ethernet to switches which are in turn ethernet to the router. The unplugged/plugged message flashes up once, max twice, every time I boot any of the boxes from sby. They then connect with no problems.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 10:13:06 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

My home network is as follows:

The BT master phone socket is in a small room upstairs. This is connected to the BT Home Hub5 which is then connected to a 8 port switch (I refer to this as the master switch). This switch is connected to:

1) 5 port switch in the study upstairs (my wife's PC and laser printer are connected to it);
    2) 8 port switch in downstairs front room (Samsung smart TV, Samsung DVD player, Samsung M3 speaker + controller box, BT YouView are connected to it);
    3) 5 port switch in downstairs back room (my PC, HP JetDirect box, 5 port switch are connected to it).

Note: all switches are Netgear Gigabit switches.

The final 5 port switch mentioned in 3) above is about 10 feet away from the other switch in the same room and has the Humax box, Samsung DVD player, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire box connected to it.

My home network has been in place for 10+ years and has worked flawlessly until this locking started several weeks ago. I purchased the original Humax HDR-1000S in April 2013. It and its replacement have worked fine on this network.

With the Humax box disconnected everything on my home network works fine. With the Humax box connected after two or three days the network locks up (can still access the internet by router's wifi).

With the network locked up, doing pings from both PCs only showed the network printers connected to the PC's local switch. This identified a problem at the master switch. Powering off/on the master switch restored the home network.

Your question: "When the HDR-1000S is disconnected from the switch do the messages stop?". The answer is yes.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 11:20:07 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

Just after sending my previous post it occurred me that I should try connecting the Humax box directly to switch 3) and exclude its local switch.

Did that and the Humax "LAN cable is unplugged/plugged" messages have stopped and everything seems to be now working!

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 11:57:22 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

On rethinking this I realised that one of my HBs goes thru two switches before the router. So that setup in itself should not be a problem. They are mixed Netgear and Cisco switches into a Netgear D7800 router then BT fibre broadband. Never had any problems.

| Wed 23 Mar 2016 14:36:27 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

My Humax HDR-1000S box is NOT to blame for my network lockups!

Its locking up was a sympton of my network issues, not the cause. It seems that the Humax box is quite sensitive to network issues which can cause it to lock up.

My previous post said that when I connected the Humax box directly to the switch at position 3) that it started to work.

This got me thinking. I had replaced the switch at position 3), a Netgear GS605 v2, with an identical spare one. I then made the mistake of not leaving the network for some time to see if the problem had gone, but instead I used this removed switch to replace the switch, a Netgear GS105 v4, below the TV and behind the Humax box, at position 4).

It was this switch, the Netgear GS605 v2, that the Humax then had problems with and caused it to display the "LAN cable is unplugged/plugged" messages.

So then I removed this switch from position 4) and put back the original Netgear GS105 v4 switch and the Humax box worked. That was last Thursday afternoon and it has been working ever since.

So a lesson for me:- when trying to solve a network issue, only change one thing at a time! Also, a Humax HDR-1000S locking up may be the symptom of the problem, not the cause!!

Paul

| Sat 26 Mar 2016 20:17:10 #17 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Indeed Paul, but if it sees disconnects and reconnects it could cause network problems with excessive DHCP requests.

| Sat 26 Mar 2016 20:27:37 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

It was a bit premature of me to say that my network lock ups was NOT being caused by the Humax HDR-1000S!

This morning I woke to find that my network had locked up and my wife unable to access the internet from her PC at position 1).

Switched on my downstairs PC at position 3) and changed it to have a fixed 192.168.0.x IP address instead of using DHCP. I then tried to ping the two networked printers that both have fixed IP addresses. I was able to ping the printer connected to the same switch at 3) that the PC is connected to but I was unable to ping the upstairs printer connected to the switch at position 1).

Next I tried the Humax box and it was locked up! I powered off/on the wall switch at position 4) rebooting every device at position 4) including the Netgear GS105 v4 switch.

The network started working immediately and my PC and that of my wife were able to access the internet.

In hindsight, I should have just powered off the Humax box! Powering off/on at the wall switch meant that the Humax box and switch were both rebooted.

The network lock up seems to take 4 or 5 days to occur. When it happens again I will only power off/on the Humax box so as to exclude the Netgear GS105 v4 switch as the cause of the network lock ups.

Paul

| Mon 28 Mar 2016 17:22:43 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

nevans

Is it possible that you may have bridged the network somewhere i.e. have two paths between the switches, as this sounds like a broadcast storm to me.

| Tue 29 Mar 2016 15:16:28 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.