My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

My HDR-1000S 1TB is locking up my home network!

(90 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

No, there is only a single cable between each of the switches.

The wiring of my home network has been as described above in my previous posts and hasn't changed for many years. It has been working fine over this time until the recent lock ups began.

Paul

| Tue 29 Mar 2016 15:33:20 #21 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I do think the Humax could cause a network lockup if it indeed does think the network cable is constantly unplugged/plugged.

I don't think I have ever read of any network problems with the HDR-1xx0S machines. It is possible the machine is sensitive to the voltage on the network cable, it may be worth testing it, capacitor decay could cause the switch voltage to vary.

"The network lock up seems to take 4 or 5 days to occur"
    Does your router say what the DHCP lease period is?

| Tue 29 Mar 2016 17:12:35 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

The unplugged/plugged messages stopped when I removed the Netgear GS605 v2 switch and replaced it with the Netgear GS105 v4 switch and they have not recurred.

"The network lock up seems to take 4 or 5 days to occur" Does your router say what the DHCP lease period is?

Logged into the BT Home Hub5 and the lease time is 1 day.

Just before replying to your post I checked the Humax box and found that I couldn't wake it up using the power button on the handset or by holding in the power button on the front of the box. Looking at the ethernet cable connection at the back showed its lights flashing vigorously!

Removed the power jack from the Humax box and after a short time replaced it. I was then able to wake up the Humax box using the power button on the handset and watch live TV, access the TV Guide and look at my recordings. I then powered off the box using the the power button on the handset.

After powering off the Humax box I looked at the ethernet cable connection at the back and there were no flashing lights.

Paul

| Tue 29 Mar 2016 22:40:51 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

PaulMcI - 4 minutes ago  » 
    The unplugged/plugged messages stopped when I removed the Netgear GS605 v2 switch and replaced it with the Netgear GS105 v4 switch and they have not recurred.

"The network lock up seems to take 4 or 5 days to occur" Does your router say what the DHCP lease period is?

Logged into the BT Home Hub5 and the lease time is 1 day.
    Just before replying to your post I checked the Humax box and found that I couldn't wake it up using the power button on the handset or by holding in the power button on the front of the box. Looking at the ethernet cable connection at the back showed its lights flashing vigorously!
    Removed the power jack from the Humax box and after a short time replaced it. I was then able to wake up the Humax box using the power button on the handset and watch live TV, access the TV Guide and look at my recordings. I then powered off the box using the the power button on the handset.
    After powering off the Humax box I looked at the ethernet cable connection at the back and there were no flashing lights.
    Paul

So what do you surmise from what you have done so far.

| Tue 29 Mar 2016 22:45:49 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

So what do you surmise from what you have done so far.

Not sure what to think apart from my Humax box is on the way out.

On the bright side, at least so far my recordings haven't disappeared which happened with my first HDR-1000S box that this one replaced and others posting to this forum are expeiencing at the moment.

My Humax box had locked up again tonight! This time there were no ethernet flashing lights activity.

Pulled/replaced the power lead to reboot and then unlinked the Freesat app in Settings to see if that changes anything.

Paul

| Wed 30 Mar 2016 23:00:28 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

If this was my problem I wouldn't even be looking at the Humax as being the issue. You appear to have quite an extensive home network with numerous ethernet switches. That is where I would be looking, I thought my HN was quite large but it is nothing compared with yours. I now rely on devolo Homeplugs in my main rooms and just one 6 port ethernet switch.

Since I paired mine down in this way the whole thing runs like clockwork (touch wood).

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 9:20:50 #26 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Paul, you sound like you are the sort of person like me that has a few old routers around. I suggest you connect the Humax to one with a DHCP server enabled and try it unconnected to the internet to see if it has any problems apart from no on-demand.

On question I missed was does any of the kit, especially the switches, have power saving features?

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 16:32:46 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

If this was my problem I wouldn't even be looking at the Humax as being the issue.

As I said in the previous post #19, after the last network lock up the powering off/on of everything at position 4) made the whole network work immediately.

I am concentrating on the switch at postion 4) and everything connected to it. The following are connected to this switch (several weeks ago I changed the Amazon Fire box to use wifi and not a wired connection):

Humax HDR-1000S
    Samsung blu-ray player
    Panasonic TV

This afternoon I disconnected the blu-ray player and the TV leaving only the Humax box connected to the switch.

I will monitor my network following these changes.

Paul, you sound like you are the sort of person like me that has a few old routers around.

At the last count I had 6, 5x various Netgear routers and 1x BT Home Hub3.

I suggest you connect the Humax to one with a DHCP server enabled and try it unconnected to the internet to see if it has any problems apart from no on-demand.

I will try this after I monitor the latest changes that I have made to my network setup.

One question I missed was does any of the kit, especially the switches, have power saving features?

They are all dumb Netgear switches with no power saving features.

Paul

| Thu 31 Mar 2016 19:31:38 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

PaulMcI

A few minutes ago I noticed that my downstairs PC at position 3) was unable to access the internet. My wife's PC upstairs at position 1) was still able to access the internet.

I checked the back of the Humax box and its ethernet connection lights were flashing continuously.

Pulled out the power lead from the Humax box and after several minutes replaced it (I probably should have checked whether the Humax had locked up before powering it off/on). This time I didn't power off/on the switch at position 4).

After powering off/on the Humax box the downstairs PC was immediately able to access the internet!

This seems to indicate to me that the locking up of the Netgear switch at position 3) was caused by the Humax box. Also, if I had not noticed the locking up then it would have spread eventually to the master Netgear switch at position 0).

Paul

| Mon 4 Apr 2016 23:34:02 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

speculatrix

I have a netgear semi-managed gig switch (GS724), and it has two power saving modes, one is to detect short cables, the other is green power, which powers down unused ports.
    Some devices really don't work properly - my old PS3 for example - it takes a long time for the switch to recognise the PS3 has been turned on, by which time the PS3 has decided to sulk. I turned off green power and short cable detection on the PS3's switch port and the problem went away.

| Tue 5 Apr 2016 0:12:12 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.