My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New - FVP 5000T

(389 posts)
  1. black knight

black knight

special member

Barry - 3 days ago  » 
    I think the two items connected by white wires are the wifi antennas

Yes I agree. It's very similar to the wi-fi I've dealt with in laptops. You can see the USB's are soldered directly to the board rather than plugged in via a cable.

Not keen on that 3.5 inch hard drive though, especially as it doesn't seem to have any sort of decent caddy supporting it.
    I'm still rather reluctant to try anymore Freeview products from Humax since I acquired the awful 2000T that still doesn't work properly.

| Thu 26 Oct 2017 18:24:19 #101 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

black knight - 10 minutes ago  » 

Barry - 3 days ago  » 

Not keen on that 3.5 inch hard drive though, especially as it doesn't seem to have any sort of decent caddy supporting it.

The HDD is held in place by 4 screws in bottom of unit, and in the picture, bottom right of HDD you can see a small padded bracket.

| Thu 26 Oct 2017 18:36:23 #102 |
  3. black knight

black knight

special member

Barry - 5 minutes ago  » 

black knight - 10 minutes ago  » 

Barry - 3 days ago  » 

The HDD is held in place by 4 screws in bottom of unit, and in the picture, bottom right of HDD you can see a small padded bracket.

I suppose as it's all plastic there's not as much scope for vibration from the hard disc as there might be with a metallic case.

| Thu 26 Oct 2017 18:42:45 #103 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

iomegachris

grahamlthompson - 5 days ago  » 

iomegachris - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Remotes like the Logitech harmony make this much easier as you can allocate volume to the TV rather than the box.
    Check your PM's

I've gone ahead and bought the FVP 5000T (2TB) model and now realised this brings me up to 8 (yes, eight!) remote controls needed to work everything - so I think a Logitech Harmony control is a no-brainer. I've ordered the Harmony 650 from Amazon but I note that the 5000T is not yet on their database of compatible hardware. However, the 4000T is so is the set of IR instructions similar enough for me to be able to set up some tasks until the 5000T has been added?

| Tue 31 Oct 2017 21:32:49 #104 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

iomegachris - 9 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 5 days ago  » 

iomegachris - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Remotes like the Logitech harmony make this much easier as you can allocate volume to the TV rather than the box.
    Check your PM's

I've gone ahead and bought the FVP 5000T (2TB) model and now realised this brings me up to 8 (yes, eight!) remote controls needed to work everything - so I think a Logitech Harmony control is a no-brainer. I've ordered the Harmony 650 from Amazon but I note that the 5000T is not yet on their database of compatible hardware. However, the 4000T is so is the set of IR instructions similar enough for me to be able to set up some tasks until the 5000T has been added?

Guessing it will work just fine, you may have to use a coloured button to replicate the FreeviewPlay button though. From experience though I don't think the support for the different Harmony remote code sets extends above modes 1 to 4.

| Tue 31 Oct 2017 21:45:07 #105 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sor

Am in the market for a new Humax. Well, have been for a while, since a couple of my T2s have given up.

Anyway, those of you who have the FVP 5000T (2TB),is it easy to copy recordings onto a portable harddrive or to a laptop? Did they make this easier on the 4000T (you could do it in one move? same OS?) than from the T2?! Im assuming it would be a similar process on the 5000T as the 4000T?

Many thanks
    Victoria

| Tue 31 Oct 2017 21:45:48 #106 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

iomegachris

As mentioned above - I have been using a HDR-FOX-T2 until now and am just getting used to my new FVP 5000T. So, this is my first PVR with Freeview Play.

I have very good broadband band speed (76 Mb/sec) but I have to say the scheduling UI seems very slow and clunky after the FOX-T2. Is this the norm, or are we just waiting for a few software upgrades to make it run a bit slicker?

| Tue 31 Oct 2017 21:47:21 #107 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

iomegachris - 11 hours ago  » I have very good broadband band speed (76 Mb/sec) but I have to say the scheduling UI seems very slow and clunky after the FOX-T2. Is this the norm, or are we just waiting for a few software upgrades to make it run a bit slicker?

I have a 4000T and yes the interface is painfully slow after the super slick and quick HDR-FOXT2, so it’s interesting to hear that the 5000 is slow and clunky too as this was supposedly meant to be more responsive.

I haven’t seen a compelling reason yet for getting a 5000 over the 4000. It looks like the interface is never going to be in the pre 4000 league any time soon, oh well thats progress!

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 9:12:14 #108 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

I've got the 5000t Now I've found it a very good machine.
    It does what I want when I want.
    From the posts on this Forum it is much improved on the 4000t.
    There is 2 usb ports on both machines, so I would say yes, If I'm wrong I'm sure Barry or someone will correct me.
    I used to Have a FOX T2 and the main differences from what I've come across is
    1/ It can record 4 different programmes at the same time instead of 2 on the Fox.
    2/ Obviously the size.
    The 5000t is a much better, and more stable machine than the 4000t
    The software &remote control of it is much improved, and I've found the
    Audio &visual reproduction is superb.
    3/ Not forgetting it is of course Freeview play which is a big improvement om th fox T2.
    Also on min if you want to do a retune which Freeview needs in order to keep up with the latest channels, the 5000t has an intelligent retune
    this enables you to keep all your schedule intact which the fox T2 wiped out . Once you hook it upto your router it lock that's it it's locked in.
    Like yourself I'm on a good broadband speed' so you would be fine.
    On the question of it being sluggish I have actually timed it to go into the Guide & the recordings side of the machine. the answer to both things are 1-2 seconds. After giving it the command to do so.
    so no it's not quite as responsive as the T2 but you really get much more in a much smaller machine.
    Here are just a few pointers as far as the user interface is concerned.
    You can scroll back in time using the guide to see any Freeview channel including the HD channels.
    The Freeview Play button gives you all the TV hub for all of them that are available.
    However, along the top of the screen gives you more options including All the machine settings. you want.
    On the recording button you can access everything to do with the recording side including the schedule.
    The interface isn't anything like the Fox T2 . you have to change your mind set along the loose lines of a PC. For example If you look up your pc updates list they are always newest to the oldest from the top down,
    Both the 4000 (that a friend of ours has) and the 5000 stores the programmes in the identical way.
    Once you've mastered that, it al falls into place and you can use the machine to its full capability.
    Finally The 5000t is the newer model than the 4ooot.It seems to be the way of the future. As usual Humax seems to be the one to lead the field.

Good luck.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 10:34:45 #109 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I've got the 5000t Now I've found it a very good machine.
    It does what I want when I want.
    From the posts on this Forum it is much improved on the 4000t.
    There is 2 usb ports on both machines, so I would say yes, If I'm wrong I'm sure Barry or someone will correct me.
    I used to Have a FOX T2 and the main differences from what I've come across is
    1/ It can record 4 different programmes at the same time instead of 2 on the Fox.
    2/ Obviously the size.
    The 5000t is a much better, and more stable machine than the 4000t
    The software &remote control of it is much improved, and I've found the
    Audio &visual reproduction is superb.
    3/ Not forgetting it is of course Freeview play which is a big improvement om th fox T2.
    Also on min if you want to do a retune which Freeview needs in order to keep up with the latest channels, the 5000t has an intelligent retune
    this enables you to keep all your schedule intact which the fox T2 wiped out . Once you hook it upto your router it lock that's it it's locked in.
    Like yourself I'm on a good broadband speed' so you would be fine.
    On the question of it being sluggish I have actually timed it to go into the Guide & the recordings side of the machine. the answer to both things are 1-2 seconds. After giving it the command to do so.
    so no it's not quite as responsive as the T2 but you really get much more in a much smaller machine.
    Here are just a few pointers as far as the user interface is concerned.
    You can scroll back in time using the guide to see any Freeview channel including the HD channels.
    The Freeview Play button gives you all the TV hub for all of them that are available.
    However, along the top of the screen gives you more options including All the machine settings. you want.
    On the recording button you can access everything to do with the recording side including the schedule.
    The interface isn't anything like the Fox T2 . you have to change your mind set along the loose lines of a PC. For example If you look up your pc updates list they are always newest to the oldest from the top down,
    Both the 4000 (that a friend of ours has) and the 5000 stores the programmes in the identical way.
    Once you've mastered that, it al falls into place and you can use the machine to its full capability.
    Finally The 5000t is the newer model than the 4ooot.It seems to be the way of the future. As usual Humax seems to be the one to lead the field.
    Good luck.

If you add the custom firmware to the HDR-FOX-T2 it's a transformed machine. Amongst the many goodies it auto saves your recording schedule on shut down every day and also whenever you want. Restoring after a retune, factory reset etc takes seconds.

I can record four at once but I do have two HDR-FOX-T2's. Each one can watch all the others recordings which is ideal if one is another room.

| Wed 1 Nov 2017 12:38:40 #110 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.