1. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

The text has just reappeared again.

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 21:14:02 #291 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

I wonder why the Netflix player performs so differently on the 5000t compared with the much older BT box which is connected to the same router. Instinctively I'd have predicted that the newer box would be more powerful and faster, but it loads Netflix extremely and other times seeming not to load it at all. When it buffers it is very slow compared to the BT box. The BT box is slower than the Fire TV, but there isn't much in it.

It can't be a congested HD needing a defrag or anything like that because it's too new. Strange.

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 21:27:56 #292 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Marius - 40 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 53 minutes ago  » 

uk1 - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Graham, it gives the elapsed time and total time "00:01:14/00:43:43"
    then "Video: 5.11 Mbps /1080
    then "Audio: English/STEREO (PRIMARY) "

Of course it's a issue. We know what the information means.

Why it only happens to some users and not others is the key issue.

Ah, right. I thought uk1 had decided that he "won't be using this box for Netflix" because he thought the text was a Humax-specific issue, but looking back I see that it's actually because "the The Netflix app on the 5000t starts extremely slowly...".

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 22:06:22 #293 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Marius,

Thanks for your interest ......

If the 9000t was faster than my other Netflix host boxes, AND it didn't have the text issue, then I would probably use the 9000t for Netflix. I think most Netflix customers use their fastest box if they have more than one to choose from.

At the moment after a further day of it swtitching itself on - but not being able to tell from the front panel and with a RC that sometimes seems to control the box and at other times it's ignored, then I presume the box is unrepresentative and I'll probably return it.

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 22:28:20 #294 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 28 minutes ago  » 
    I wonder why the Netflix player performs so differently on the 5000t compared with the much older BT box which is connected to the same router. Instinctively I'd have predicted that the newer box would be more powerful and faster, but it loads Netflix extremely and other times seeming not to load it at all. When it buffers it is very slow compared to the BT box. The BT box is slower than the Fire TV, but there isn't much in it.
    It can't be a congested HD needing a defrag or anything like that because it's too new. Strange.

The Linux OS does not have problems requiring defragging like windows (that's why it takes a while to recover the disk space after deleting a lot of files).

As I see it's because the access to the primary stream is provided by intermediate servers designed to support the platform. The latest boxes are so called smart, because amongst other they know a lot about your viewing habits.

In the case of the 4000/5000T it's the Freeview play platform. Youview boxes provided by BT use BT supported servers.

The 2nd generation Freesat smart boxes like the HDR-1000/1010/1100s, use Freesat servers to provide similar capability.

That's why currently there is no problem with Netflix on Freesat smart TV boxes also made by Humax.

In both cases Freeview Play and Freesat+ smart (G2) boxes (and the original first generation Foxsat-HDR) the boxes wake up overnight to carry out so called housekeeping duties.

The details of what happens in the overnight housekeeping routines isn't known in detail.

However you can glean some interesting info using lateral thinking.

If you boot your 5000T in the morning with the aerial removed (no opportunity to refresh the epg). The epg is empty. Shut down the box.

If you replace the aerial and reboot the box after a few minutes the epg gets refreshed. All Freeview MUX carry the complete epg (for all MUX) as a seperate data stream). After this any subsequent boot has a full epg. Here's the interesting one, after this remove the power for a few minutes and replace it and reboot the box with the aerial removed. The epg is still intact. How, the answer is like the recording schedule the information is stored in memory that survives without power. Technically Non Volatile RAM (NVRAM). NVRAM is relatively expensive and slower than the other sort (Dynamic RAM).

Consider your PC which will have lots of very fast dynamic RAM which require constant refreshing and while your computer is booted remembers it's contents. If you power off the contents are forgotten.

A PC has the essential boot up info stored in NVRAM, followed by the rest stored on a hard disk. You can speed up the the boot by using a solid state hard disk (SSD) which means a very rapid boot (but at a cost).

My high end Windows 10 laptop with a SSD C: boot drive and a seperate conventional D: drive for data boots in around 15 seconds.

However how many would want to spend a £1000.00 or so on a pvr that saves 30 seconds or so on boot time ?

If you change the HDD on a Humax unit like the HDR-1000S for a replacement or larger drive then the recording schedule remains intact.

If you did it on a 5000T (and presumably a 4000T), without booting it first you would at a guess have to re-enter the schedule because it no longer exists,

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 22:50:37 #295 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Thanks Graham,

I appreciate your patience in explaining how the platform varies the experience and it is interesting to know. I'm not certain that the issues with this box is just a matter of spending a £1000 ...... a larger ROM or even low storage SSDs currently cost £70'ish. MY Surface Pro with SSD is almost instant and it is impressive and as an ex-computer person I'm continually impressed with the Ipad product.

At the moment my new 5000t has shown the following faults:

1. Switching on - on it's own accord.
    2. Not telling me through it's front lights that it is switched on if it is switched off and recording.
    3. Non-HD channels dissapearing intermittently.
    4. Recorded programmes list dissapearing intermittently
    5. Stutters/disconnects in the passthrough circuit.
    6. Sometimes doesn't respond at all to the RC.
    7. A lag that feels like it has froze in response to some RC commands.
    8. Sometimes will not load and play Netflix but the moment I hit "X" to go back to live TV Netflix appears for a second just before I return to live TV.
    9 The data stream info appearing on Netflix with no way to remove it.
    10. The subtitle button sometimes has no relationship to what is on the screen and is difficult to toggle.
    11. Sometimes setup options are greyed out for no obvious reason. For example, on one occaision I had lost all SD channels but the smart retune was greyed out.

There are other issues which are just design things and if this is your first box it wouldn't be an issue. Stuff like

1. The fast forward and back isn't as elegant as other boxes.
    2. No info button.
    3. I am using more clicks on the RC to do simple things. For example
    4. No delete key.

Some of this may simply be faults on my box, but it does feel "uncultured" and "unfinessed" compared to (my opinion) the Youview experience and I certainly get the impression even with a lot of forgiveness for stuff that is just my opinion or just faults on my box, that this is a box that hasn't been beta soaked. It imho compares badly to Youview of a few iterations ago.

I wish there wasn't "competition" within the Freeview platform so that we could have all the effort being expended seperately on what is competitive products within the Freeview family - it feels like a family squabling - so that we instead get something from good collaberation and that is extremely rich so far as the experience is concerned. It feels like an old box with extra tuning and a bigger drive thrown into a box with a hastily badly developed and ill-conceived GUI. I feel frankly that I have paid £299 to be a beta tester.

| Tue 21 Nov 2017 23:22:52 #296 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

uk1 - 9 hours ago  » 
    .... It feels like an old box with extra tuning and a bigger drive thrown into a box with a hastily badly developed and ill-conceived GUI. I feel frankly that I have paid £299 to be a beta tester.

That just about sums up the 4000/5000

I had hoped the 5000 would make me jump from my 4000, but that's never going to happen unless a miracle occurs.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 9:10:21 #297 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham,
    I appreciate your patience in explaining how the platform varies the experience and it is interesting to know. I'm not certain that the issues with this box is just a matter of spending a £1000 ...... a larger ROM or even low storage SSDs currently cost £70'ish. MY Surface Pro with SSD is almost instant and it is impressive and as an ex-computer person I'm continually impressed with the Ipad product.
    At the moment my new 5000t has shown the following faults:
    1. Switching on - on it's own accord.
    2. Not telling me through it's front lights that it is switched on if it is switched off and recording.
    3. Non-HD channels dissapearing intermittently.
    4. Recorded programmes list dissapearing intermittently
    5. Stutters/disconnects in the passthrough circuit.
    6. Sometimes doesn't respond at all to the RC.
    7. A lag that feels like it has froze in response to some RC commands.
    8. Sometimes will not load and play Netflix but the moment I hit "X" to go back to live TV Netflix appears for a second just before I return to live TV.
    9 The data stream info appearing on Netflix with no way to remove it.
    10. The subtitle button sometimes has no relationship to what is on the screen and is difficult to toggle.
    11. Sometimes setup options are greyed out for no obvious reason. For example, on one occaision I had lost all SD channels but the smart retune was greyed out.
    There are other issues which are just design things and if this is your first box it wouldn't be an issue. Stuff like
    1. The fast forward and back isn't as elegant as other boxes.
    2. No info button.
    3. I am using more clicks on the RC to do simple things. For example
    4. No delete key.
    Some of this may simply be faults on my box, but it does feel "uncultured" and "unfinessed" compared to (my opinion) the Youview experience and I certainly get the impression even with a lot of forgiveness for stuff that is just my opinion or just faults on my box, that this is a box that hasn't been beta soaked. It imho compares badly to Youview of a few iterations ago.
    I wish there wasn't "competition" within the Freeview platform so that we could have all the effort being expended seperately on what is competitive products within the Freeview family - it feels like a family squabling - so that we instead get something from good collaberation and that is extremely rich so far as the experience is concerned. It feels like an old box with extra tuning and a bigger drive thrown into a box with a hastily badly developed and ill-conceived GUI. I feel frankly that I have paid £299 to be a beta tester.

Re the missing epg SD channels. Add a daily power on timer 07:00 on BBC 1 SD with your volume setting with power off at 07:15.

Suspect Humax have changed the overnight housekeeping late last week.

To recover SD epg entries. Open the schedule menu and add a manual recording on BBC 1 SD in a few minutes time. When the recording starts select the recording and choose the watch live option.

Greyed out settings are due to the box either recording or due to record in the next 15 mins.

Netflix wasn't working properly yesterday.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:14:49 #298 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

clanhan

Just come back on line.

As a couple of people have mentioned in Netflix it is the elapsed time, audio language etc. that is showing in the top left of the screen. On the playstation this comes up but you can get rid of it by a right toggle on the controller. I think Samsung you press the green button. We are using the Humax to access Netflix off our main tv so it would be helpful if anyone knows a way to get rid of this info. Can't quite work out why it comes up on movies and not some series.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 10:35:45 #299 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Good Morning All,

Well I have just given up waiting in line for Humax Support. The music was soothing but the warning that the wait was "over 5 minutes" was true but misleading. I instead emailed listing the faults, requesting a collection and a full refund. I'm off on a Christmas Market trip in a week or so and will report back Humax's response and helpfulness here so others are informed.

I've always learned to live with Humax products and really want a multi-receiver large disc box but this simply doesn't work for me.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:17:50 #300 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.