My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New - FVP 5000T

(389 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Netflix is working OK on my 5000T today. No overlay messages either.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 11:36:01 #301 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Good Morning Graham,

My memory may be wrong, but I have (I believe )a clear recollection that during one session whilst recording I believe I did a smart retune and simply sacrificed what was currently being recorded.

I see that the HumaxDirect site has the 4000T 2tb on a special Black Friday deal of a reduction from £299 to £269 ...... the price it has been for a few weeks at least. That is presuming that the 4000T and 5000T 2TB were ever on offer at the same price .....

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 12:53:18 #302 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Good Morning Graham,
    My memory may be wrong, but I have (I believe )a clear recollection that during one session whilst recording I believe I did a smart retune and simply sacrificed what was currently being recorded.
    I see that the HumaxDirect site has the 4000T 2tb on a special Black Friday deal of a reduction from £299 to £269 ...... the price it has been for a few weeks at least. That is presuming that the 4000T and 5000T 2TB were ever on offer at the same price .....

Only way you could do that is manually ditch the recording first. Anything that can interrupt a current recording is greyed out.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 15:30:53 #303 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

uk1 - 16 hours ago  » At the moment my new 5000t has shown the following faults...

A few reflections on your list of faults:

"2. Not telling me through it's front lights that it is switched on if it is switched off and recording".

It's truly extraordinary that the only significant hardware difference between the 4000T and the 5000T is that the 5000T's LED has been moved to a position that makes it almost useless for all practical purposes.

When you have forum threads seriously discussing whether placing white card or white paper under the LED is the best way to make it visible:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/make-the-onoffrecording-led-easier-to-see

you have to ask yourself what on earth the designer was thinking?

"4. Recorded programmes list dissapearing intermittently".

That happens every time I select and then bulk-delete a few recorded programmes.

The first time it happened I thought all my recorded programmes had been erased. Now I know it's just a bug and I have to exit and re-enter the recorded programmes list for the remaining programmes to magically reappear. Yet another time-wasting annoyance of the 5000T.

"6. Sometimes doesn't respond at all to the RC."

Every day it takes between 3 and 6 presses of the RC to wake the box from standby.

Last night I had to momentarily switch to another HDMI channel on my TV before the RC would respond at all. And now when I press the "Recordings" button I usually get no response at all or a text display of the name of the TV channel that's currently tuned.

Once in ten presses I might actually get the "Recorded Programs" list but even when the RC works it's very directional and lacks range.

"7. A lag that feels like it has froze in response to some RC commands."

Tell me about it.

"3. I am using more clicks on the RC to do simple things."

As I said before, this is simply bad design and not in any sense progress, whatever excuses may be advanced for it.

I admit that I now feel a vague sense of foreboding whenever I have to use the 5000T. I know I'll want to scream and toss the RC across the room after a few minutes of scrolling through its clunky "Recorded Programmes" list at a funereal pace and answering numerous multi-choice quizzes before I can catch up with the day's news. And it seems to get slower with each day that passes.

"It feels like an old box with extra tuning and a bigger drive thrown into a box with a hastily badly developed and ill-conceived GUI. I feel frankly that I have paid £299 to be a beta tester".

I have to agree. Humax made a bad mistake in not upgrading the 4000T's memory and processing power and an even worse mistake with the overly-rich menus that make everyday use such a trial of patience.

Frankly, I don't know what I'll do. For all its faults I can't deny that the 5000T's reliable and doesn't mess up recordings. The picture-quality's great too. I did a lot of research before buying it but there were few user-reviews available then.

If I thought something better was available I'd buy it in a second, but my research has turned up nothing - which means I'm stuck with the 5000T for the time being. I can only hope that Humax do something about the awful menus.

uk1 - 4 hours ago  » Well I have just given up waiting in line for Humax Support. The music was soothing but the warning that the wait was "over 5 minutes" was true but misleading. I instead emailed listing the faults, requesting a collection and a full refund. I'm off on a Christmas Market trip in a week or so and will report back Humax's response and helpfulness here so others are informed.

I've always learned to live with Humax products and really want a multi-receiver large disc box but this simply doesn't work for me.

Good luck with support. I have a high regard for older Humax products and would also love to be able to live with one of their current offerings.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 16:16:39 #304 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Hi Marius,

Because I'm away in a week or so I had another shot at calling them and although my call was very important to them and in case I forgot I was reminded every minute or two that I should have the serial number ready and that perhaps if my call wasn't urgent I should give up and try some other time. I waited for one TV programme and have arranged for the unit to be collected for a refund. But they evidently don't refund when it is collected - evidently my unit must be checked! I so wish that Amazon had been selling the box!

I was told by a CS rep who uses the same box that I am the only customer that has reported these faults. I told him that this was odd because some others were reporting some of these faults and he had a look at this thread.

It's lovely being unique.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:18:54 #305 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

......... for what it's worth Marius, I'm reverting back to plan A which was two identical Youview Humax boxes both set to the same RC command and they sit one on top of the other. This means that as I switch one box off the other goes on and gives me 4 channels of recording and a total of 2TB. This is what I was doing until the 5000T and although it may seem odd and inelegant when reading this process, it is in fact a lot easier and of course much cheaper, than the 5000T.

Good luck with your box.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:32:45 #306 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

uk1 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    ......... for what it's worth Marius, I'm reverting back to plan A which was two identical Youview Humax boxes both set to the same RC command and they sit one on top of the other. This means that as I switch one box off the other goes on and gives me 4 channels of recording and a total of 2TB. This is what I was doing until the 5000T and although it may seem odd and inelegant when reading this process, it is in fact a lot easier and of course much cheaper, than the 5000T.
    Good luck with your box.

If you bought two used HDR-FOX-T2's you wouldn't have the remote control issues and you can watch all recordings made on one on the other. Adding the custom firmware makes then even more versatile.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:38:23 #307 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Thanks Graham, I'm not having any RC problems with using it this way .... it works perfectly.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:50:22 #308 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

I would not swap my 5000 (or 4000T) for YouView even if offered all the tea in the proverbial - in fact I no longer have any YV unit in use.

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 17:53:48 #309 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

uk1

special member

Thanks Barry, that is what makes the world go around ......

| Wed 22 Nov 2017 18:01:49 #310 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.