My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

New - FVP 5000T

(389 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 12 hours ago  » 
    They are different.
    1000S has a faster UI but retains some annoying foibles like the daft order of displaying recordings in series folders. And of course it's restricted to recording two and watching a 3rd. My 1000S mysteriously rebooted about 9 mins into a recording of Corrie yesterday evening and dumped the recording. The 5000T came to the rescue.
    The 5000T is slower to respond to the remote and the supplied remote is a tad weak. Not an issue for me as the 4000T device on my Harmony remote works just fine. And I sit very close to it as like my other kit is at the opposite end of my room to the TV in a HiFi rack.
    You have more ways of displaying your recordings than you can shake a stick at
    It's so far recorded everything I have asked it to.
    Picture quality on both is excellent.
    It can of course record up to 4 and watch a 5th subject to mux.
    As all the 5 main HD channels are on the same mux, and I rarely record other channels that in practice it can record 4 of them and watch the remaining one live. You can also set a reminder on the 5th to ensure the beginning of the programme is within the time shift buffer and record that using instant recording when one of the other recording terminates.
    This makes it a very flexible box so if you only want a single box and don't mind the slightly pedestrian UI it's a no brainer.
    Also the software is very new so is likely to improve with future updates.
    If they could add a series capability to reminder reservations and a auto record when the number of current recordings falls to 3 that would be pretty cool, the hardware is clearly capable of this.
    Perhaps logitech might consider a timed remote command option
    One slight annoyance is when you open a series folder, the newest is selected rather than the oldest, shouldn't be that hard to change this I would think.

Thanks for that comprehensive reply Graham. I suppose in fairness to the 1000s it is now 5 year old tech so one wonders what the new one is going to be like (when it finally comes to market).

I know the 1000s isn't perfect in regards the listing of recordings etc. but I do think it's proved itself to be a pretty good device over the years and is still the fastest of all my PVRs.

| Sat 2 Dec 2017 23:24:04 #331 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

IanG62

Hi all,

Not sure if the Netflix issue with the text top left of the screen has been answered yet, but I can toggle it simply by pressing the Netflix button whilst it is playing something.

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:41:53 #332 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

IanG62

Has anyone else noticed that on many occasions (nearly all) on startup from cold the 5000T picture comes up quickly but takes almost a minute to respond to the remote ?

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 16:49:15 #333 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

Yes, that does seem to be the case. Not a problem for me as I always leave the box in energy-saving standby and response is then immediate.

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 19:30:40 #334 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

IanG62 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Has anyone else noticed that on many occasions (nearly all) on startup from cold the 5000T picture comes up quickly but takes almost a minute to respond to the remote ?

I haven't but I have a daily power on timer set on BBC 1 HD at 07:00 with power off at 07:15. This ensures the epg is fully populated. Guessing your delay is waiting for the epg to populate. The cached epg is deleting during overnight housekeeping.

The box should be left in power saving sby (less than 0.5W) to allow the housekeeping routines to run.

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 19:38:17 #335 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

IanG62

Hi, Thanks for your replies, I do not switch the unit off so it only goes into standby after 4 hours, never off completely. Thank you grahamlthompson for timer tip, I have set this to see if it helps.

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 21:34:23 #336 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

IanG62 - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, Thanks for your replies, I do not switch the unit off so it only goes into standby after 4 hours, never off completely. Thank you grahamlthompson for timer tip, I have set this to see if it helps.

You could save a little electricity by pushing the power off button when you retire for the evening. That way the box will go into recording sby if recording, until the recordings are completed. Don't think pressing the power button will in any way affect your recordings. It just turns off the video/audio outputs.

| Mon 4 Dec 2017 22:06:04 #337 |
  8. andysue

andysue

Have been reading all these posts & took the plunge & bought a 5000T from Argos just incase.

First problem, I already have a foxsat which I wanted to keep on ( her indoors uses it)Both remotes control both recorders which is very confusing. I already have a panasonic recorder & you can change the remote to another IR frequency. Dont think you can do this with the Humax. Any one know of a work around please?

2nd problem, I cant get on the Wifi. there doesnt appear to be a WPS button or am I wrong.
    I have tried to put in my password which is 50 characters long, took me ages but low & behold the humax only accepts around 40 characters! what a waste of time. Have I got to change my password for a shorter one & change all my TVs, Phones, Panasonic recorder, router relays 4 computers etc just to use the wifi on the Humax?
    Seems a bit backwords these days, things should be made easier surely. Or does anyone know better?

Will have to buy a HDMI splitter as well as I need to plug everything into the surround sound to use it.
    Thanks if anyone can help.
    Nearly took it back but need the X4 recordings & internet.

| Tue 5 Dec 2017 1:18:15 #338 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

First query easy enough to overcome, change the remote code see FAQ

(You can change either units remote code)

| Tue 5 Dec 2017 7:21:16 #339 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

A 40 char pword would take several centuries to crack. So 50 is superfluous.

| Tue 5 Dec 2017 9:57:07 #340 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.