My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Newbie problems or bugs?

(54 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

OK guys I need help please! My search for a replacement for my Sky HD box goes on. I have now tried and rejected 2 different network based PVRs, the Silicone Dust HDHOMERUN and the VBox XTi 3340. Both worked to a point, but really struggled over my network to be usable enough for normal use. In fact the Android TV app for the VBox, doesn't actually seem to work at all.

Anyway, I now have less than a week left before my Sky contract ends and I have to decide whether to swallow my pride and continue paying them or find a reliable alternative.

Obviously I have ruled out the 1100s, but some on here have said that they have older models that have been very reliable and I'm wondering now if it might be worth looking at one of those.

I have a good terrestrial signal here and 4 satellite feeds, so I can go down either route for input, and I just want a reliable PVR with a sensible user interface and the minimum of annoying "quirks". Ideally I would like more than 2 tuners, as we have had occasions where it would be useful, and DLNA features would be nice too, but reliability and user friendliness are key really.

I know there are plenty of people here with lots of experience of the different Humax models, and maybe other brands too, what would anyone recommend?

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 12:59:22 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you don't want catch up the HDR-FOX-T2 is a very good box, add the Custom Firmware it becomes excellent (I have two). Again no good for catch up but the Foxsat-HDR (again with Custom firmware), the picture via hdmi is a bit soft, easily fixed with the CF by streaming recordings to another box (HDR1000S in my case). Only the FVP4000T has more than two tuners but currently appears to be a tad troublesome. Catch up these days is easy to get eg A Amazon Fire TV stick or a NOW TV box(cheapest option) for instance.

Incidentally re your Vbox the best pvr client is the Kodi addon or the firefox add on for a PC.

I have Kodi on my android phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 both work fine with the VBox and fortunately my LG bluray player works fine with the Vbox TV Gateway.

In a test I managed to record 4HD streams at once on the Vbox. Not bad for a USB2.0 interface.

A pair of home plugs should sort out your network issues. I have same box

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 13:27:46 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Thanks Graham. Blimey, is there any bit of AV kit you don't have?!!

I'll look into those options. I must admit I was wondering about the Foxsat HDR as so many people seem to rate it even though it's a bit old.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 14:17:28 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

It's always difficult moving from one platform to another, even old humax to new humax.
    If it were me, I'd keep the sky box, assuming you own it or an older one, cancel the subscription and get the free FTA viewing card. My understanding is that freesat are responsible for a lot of the issues which I don't notice as I mainly use freeview.
    Buy a refurb'd fvp4000t which is likely to pay for itself over 3 months of no sky and if after 3 months you can't live with it then go back to sky.
    Alternatively, within a year a refurb'd fvp4000t and 1100s, even if you don't want one, are likely to have paid for themselves and by that time you'll have made your mind up as to which works best for you.
    The older humaxes as GLT mentions are excellent with CF, but not the way forward

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 14:34:22 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

I need to check with Sky but I think it is £10 ish a month just to keep using the box (which is mine) as an HD PVR. But I think in the short term I will probably end up doing that. Of the current models it is the fvp4000t that appeals most, but it does seem to suffer the same sort of reliability issues as my 1100s, worryingly. I do like the custom firmware possibility with the foxsat models, and they do seem to be more reliable than the newer ones.

Decisions, decisions! Why can't someone make a good, reliable, user friendly PVR with 3/4 tuners, catchup TV, integrated DLNA player & server?! Having typed that I guess the FVP4000T ticks the most boxes, I just worry that it will be as flaky as my 1100s was.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 15:37:43 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

From recollection sky are obliged to offer FTA, but you're right, you'll lose access to HD recordings without paying afaik.
    Not too sure when the freesat problems will be sorted.

The fvp4000t is reliable, still has the problems when coming out of standby despite the recent update the other day. I think mine only rebooted once and that had something to do with catchup one time last year. The UI is awful (personal opinion obviously) and slow and forget DLNA unless you live in an SD world for streaming from the fvp4000t. I find myself using the fvp4000t more and more and that's down to catchup mainly and so that I can record tons of rubbish on the off chance it may be interesting, for normal usage though I take the FoxT2 everytime. Some people will always have problems, my brother for example, I'm sure I could find a toaster that'd confuse him

I don't think it's possible to make the pvr that we all want. The pace of change is too great. Channel 5 introduce a new advert on catchup and it breaks the box, stray on to a pay to view channel with the old humax and it reboots, it's a minefield.
    If you take the view that these boxes could pay for themselves within a matter of months then it's a no brainer really

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 16:41:51 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Graham. Blimey, is there any bit of AV kit you don't have?!!
    I'll look into those options. I must admit I was wondering about the Foxsat HDR as so many people seem to rate it even though it's a bit old.

Plenty

Not upgraded to Kodi15 yet, I am told that with this version that CRID controlled Freeview series recordings work properly on the Vbox.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 17:06:45 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Bullet bitten - I've just bought a HDR-FOX T2 500Gb off flea bay for less than I've been paying Sky per month. Looking at videos on YouTube the menu system looks much better than the 1100s and with the option of custom firmware I hope to be able to get it how I want. If not, at least it can be used in the spare room as a backup PVR. Thanks to everyone for their input and I'm sure I'll be asking Graham's advice over on the relevant forum when it arrives.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:13:45 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 12 minutes ago  » 
    Bullet bitten - I've just bought a HDR-FOX T2 500Gb off flea bay for less than I've been paying Sky per month. Looking at videos on YouTube the menu system looks much better than the 1100s and with the option of custom firmware I hope to be able to get it how I want. If not, at least it can be used in the spare room as a backup PVR. Thanks to everyone for their input and I'm sure I'll be asking Graham's advice over on the relevant forum when it arrives.

Install the CF and run the Hard Disk check and repair utility. At least you will know how good the hard disk is. If you can get a second they can view each others recordings (HD and SD) even without the CF. That will give you your four tuner recording

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:29:48 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Will do. I didn't realise that about cross-viewing recordings with a second one, that sounds good If it gets SHMBO's approval for ease of use when it arrives I'll definitely get a second one. At that sort of price it's got to be worth it.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 19:44:24 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.