My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Newbie problems or bugs?

(54 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 
    Will do. I didn't realise that about cross-viewing recordings with a second one, that sounds good If it gets SHMBO's approval for ease of use when it arrives I'll definitely get a second one. At that sort of price it's got to be worth it.

It's a great shame (possibly due to broadcaster/freeview pressure) they didn't add this to the newer Freeview+ boxes.

http://gonedigital.net/2011/06/01/technology-to-watch-out-for-dtcp-ip/

When the G2 HDR-100Os boxes were introduced we had great hopes the locked down sharing of content on the new box would allow sharing of content between the the two platforms (like the HDR-FOX-T2). Indeed we were informed that this was the intention. For most of us that was the all we wanted (no intention of pirating content), just wanted to watch and delete.

Sadly it never happened. We got the the DLNA client, but not the capability to freely watch recordings on either box.

Never really understood the reasoning behind this, Both Freeview and Freesat with the paid for epg broadcasters transmit all content without encryption. Any pirate with a decent IQ would know there a many ways of recording transmissions without encryption (DVB-S2 FTA satellite boxes, DVB-S2 cards for HTPC PCs, DVB-T2 cards for PC's etc.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 23:00:53 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

The more I find out, the more it seems that the older boxes have a lot more to offer in many ways than the new ones. The ability to have 2 boxes and have them cross-view the recordings (for want of a better phrase) is really appealing. If I can get the box(es) to play nicely with my Plex server I will be very happy. Especially as I gather that the HDR FOX T2 has a proper favourites feature and, with the CF installed, channel renumbering too. I'm feeling very optimistic now, I just hope the box I've bought is a good one.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 23:13:22 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Just as a final post on this part of the forum, I have at last found my Holy Grail of PVRs!

I am now the proud and happy owner of 2 Fox HDR T2s. I was so impressed with the way they work, that as soon as the first one was up and tested, I bought another one. I now have the custom firmware loaded on both. The operating system is a joy compared to the 1100s and anything else I have tried, the picture quality is excellent. I can organise the channels in exactly the order that I want and it is brilliant to have 1,2,3,4 & 5 To be the 5 main HD channels for the first time ever. No crashes, freezes or reboots either! The Web interface that you can use with the CF is excellent too.

Because the boxes can view recordings on each other , I effectively have a two room, 4 tuner, PVR that works almost exactly as I would want. All this for under £120. Both boxes tested and work perfectly with no disc errors. The only gripe I can find so far is the front panel displays, which are so dim they may as well not have bothered. I believe that is fixable if I fancy taking the box apart, but as I've managed without one for years on my Sky box, I don't think I will go to the trouble.

Thanks to all on here, especially Guru Graham, for their advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 10:57:49 #33 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_T - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Just as a final post on this part of the forum, I have at last found my Holy Grail of PVRs!
    I am now the proud and happy owner of 2 Fox HDR T2s. I was so impressed with the way they work, that as soon as the first one was up and tested, I bought another one. I now have the custom firmware loaded on both. The operating system is a joy compared to the 1100s and anything else I have tried, the picture quality is excellent. I can organise the channels in exactly the order that I want and it is brilliant to have 1,2,3,4 & 5 To be the 5 main HD channels for the first time ever. No crashes, freezes or reboots either! The Web interface that you can use with the CF is excellent too.
    Because the boxes can view recordings on each other , I effectively have a two room, 4 tuner, PVR that works almost exactly as I would want. All this for under £120. Both boxes tested and work perfectly with no disc errors. The only gripe I can find so far is the front panel displays, which are so dim they may as well not have bothered. I believe that is fixable if I fancy taking the box apart, but as I've managed without one for years on my Sky box, I don't think I will go to the trouble.
    Thanks to all on here, especially Guru Graham, for their advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

Pleased you are happy with your HDR-FOX-T2's

Shame Humax can't put them back into production.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 11:07:58 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

grahamlthompson - 26 minutes ago

That would be perfect. The HDR-FOX-T2 seems to be the Concorde of the PVR world!

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 11:34:12 #35 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

That would be perfect. The HDR-FOX-T2 seems to be the Concorde of the PVR world!

Well - look what happened to Concorde. Things move on and as far as I can see into the future PVRs are on borrowed time. I suspect that in the very near future everything will be streamed from the cloud. I note the Youview platform is heading in that direction at a pace, similarly SkyQ.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 14:24:44 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Geoff_T

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

Well - look what happened to Concorde. Things move on and as far as I can see into the future PVRs are on borrowed time. I suspect that in the very near future everything will be streamed from the cloud. I note the Youview platform is heading in that direction at a pace, similarly SkyQ.

You maybe right, but I would rather not rely on my Internet connection for watching TV, not at current speeds anyway. I'm very happy to have the internet options there, but much prefer to have my recordings in a box directly connected to the TV or at least on my own network.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 14:33:58 #37 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Geoff_T - 17 minutes ago  » 

Faust - 1 minute ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

You maybe right, but I would rather not rely on my Internet connection for watching TV, not at current speeds anyway. I'm very happy to have the internet options there, but much prefer to have my recordings in a box directly connected to the TV or at least on my own network.

Whilst I would agree I'm not sure we will have that choice as time goes on. With BT Youview, you can buy or rent films. However, even though you can buy them, they are not downloaded to your HDD, they reside in 'the cloud'.

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 14:53:20 #38 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 19 minutes ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

There is a massive difference to providing catch up services and live TV for a few channels to the amount of data traffic and bandwidth requirement that would be generated by the around 500 free to air channels currently transmitted from 28.2E. Let alone the number of people that can only dream of the sort of broadband connection that would be required. Add in the paid for subscription channels brings the number over 900 (960 currently).

By coincidence my 70Mbps Virgin service was off for 3 hrs today, totally unacceptable for a vital PSB service.

So you reckon a Youview box will not need an aerial in the near future ?

Not a snowballs chance in Hell, it could not happen until the majority of the UK have a all fibre service (free for the elderly) with the massive amount of infrastructure required to support it.

Think of a block of flats currently all sharing a single dish with potential access to nearly 1000 channels just from 28.2E and you reckon this is feasible ?

| Fri 20 Jan 2017 14:56:54 #39 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 23 hours ago  » 

Faust - 19 minutes ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

There is a massive difference to providing catch up services and live TV for a few channels to the amount of data traffic and bandwidth requirement that would be generated by the around 500 free to air channels currently transmitted from 28.2E. Let alone the number of people that can only dream of the sort of broadband connection that would be required. Add in the paid for subscription channels brings the number over 900 (960 currently).
    By coincidence my 70Mbps Virgin service was off for 3 hrs today, totally unacceptable for a vital PSB service.
    So you reckon a Youview box will not need an aerial in the near future ?
    Not a snowballs chance in Hell, it could not happen until the majority of the UK have a all fibre service (free for the elderly) with the massive amount of infrastructure required to support it.
    Think of a block of flats currently all sharing a single dish with potential access to nearly 1000 channels just from 28.2E and you reckon this is feasible ?

Well if you look at the tech we have today many of us would never have envisaged it even twenty years ago. The technology industry is littered with examples of 'must have' gadgets and services we thought would never be bettered and yet they were. Never say never, especially with tech.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 14:35:38 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.