grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 11 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 23 hours ago  » 

Faust - 19 minutes ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 26 minutes ago
    Pleased you are happy with your HDR-FOX-T2's
    Shame Humax can't put them back into production.

That would be perfect. The HDR-FOX-T2 seems to be the Concorde of the PVR world!

Well - look what happened to Concorde. Things move on and as far as I can see into the future PVRs are on borrowed time. I suspect that in the very near future everything will be streamed from the cloud. I note the Youview platform is heading in that direction at a pace, similarly SkyQ.

There is a massive difference to providing catch up services and live TV for a few channels to the amount of data traffic and bandwidth requirement that would be generated by the around 500 free to air channels currently transmitted from 28.2E. Let alone the number of people that can only dream of the sort of broadband connection that would be required. Add in the paid for subscription channels brings the number over 900 (960 currently).
    By coincidence my 70Mbps Virgin service was off for 3 hrs today, totally unacceptable for a vital PSB service.
    So you reckon a Youview box will not need an aerial in the near future ?
    Not a snowballs chance in Hell, it could not happen until the majority of the UK have a all fibre service (free for the elderly) with the massive amount of infrastructure required to support it.
    Think of a block of flats currently all sharing a single dish with potential access to nearly 1000 channels just from 28.2E and you reckon this is feasible ?

Well if you look at the tech we have today many of us would never have envisaged it even twenty years ago. The technology industry is littered with examples of 'must have' gadgets and services we thought would never be bettered and yet they were. Never say never, especially with tech.

So your near future is 20 yrs or more away and will use yet unknown technology. Doubtful if much of our existing kit will still be working anyway.

Hardly the short time period your post inferred. You made no mention at all that with current technology and the foreseeable development of the UK internet in the year or so would make your post a pipe dream.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 14:50:47 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

That would be perfect. The HDR-FOX-T2 seems to be the Concorde of the PVR world!

Well - look what happened to Concorde. Things move on and as far as I can see into the future PVRs are on borrowed time. I suspect that in the very near future everything will be streamed from the cloud. I note the Youview platform is heading in that direction at a pace, similarly SkyQ.

There is a massive difference to providing catch up services and live TV for a few channels to the amount of data traffic and bandwidth requirement that would be generated by the around 500 free to air channels currently transmitted from 28.2E. Let alone the number of people that can only dream of the sort of broadband connection that would be required. Add in the paid for subscription channels brings the number over 900 (960 currently).
    By coincidence my 70Mbps Virgin service was off for 3 hrs today, totally unacceptable for a vital PSB service.
    Not a snowballs chance in Hell, it could not happen until the majority of the UK have a all fibre service (free for the elderly) with the massive amount of infrastructure required to support it.
    Think of a block of flats currently all sharing a single dish with potential access to nearly 1000 channels just from 28.2E and you reckon this is feasible ?

Well if you look at the tech we have today many of us would never have envisaged it even twenty years ago. The technology industry is littered with examples of 'must have' gadgets and services we thought would never be bettered and yet they were. Never say never, especially with tech.

So your near future is 20 yrs or more away and will use yet unknown technology. Doubtful if much of our existing kit will still be working anyway.
    Hardly the short time period your post inferred. You made no mention at all that with current technology and the foreseeable development of the UK internet in the year or so would make your post a pipe dream.

Well SkyQ is now moving more and more content to the cloud. BT Youview will launch their new cloud based platform in spring. I think TalkTalk have already started the rollout. BBC iPlayer will be getting a major facelift in the very near future.

The point I make is that none of us know how we will be accessing content in the short to medium term or how that content might be delivered. I can remember when OnDigital was launched and how it was said then that the amount of channels that could be accommodated would be small due to lack of spectrum. Just look at the Freeview platform now, and that will be changing again before too long.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 16:48:07 #42 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 29 minutes ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

Well SkyQ is now moving more and more content to the cloud. BT Youview will launch their new cloud based platform in spring. I think TalkTalk have already started the rollout. BBC iPlayer will be getting a major facelift in the very near future.
    The point I make is that none of us know how we will be accessing content in the short to medium term or how that content might be delivered. I can remember when OnDigital was launched and how it was said then that the amount of channels that could be accommodated would be small due to lack of spectrum. Just look at the Freeview platform now, and that will be changing again before too long.

You mean they are providing one linear UHD channel, I already said IP is fine for a few channels. ONDigital had limited channels because the 3 paid for digital mux had to be accommodated within the existing national analogue UHF service. DSO released most of the spectrum for national digital TV services, and there is little space for expansion till DSO2 moves to DVB-T2 modulation. Quite what relevance to your utopian IP delivered services for everyone baffles me.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 17:26:25 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

You mean they are providing one linear UHD channel, I already said IP is fine for a few channels. ONDigital had limited channels because the 3 paid for digital mux had to be accommodated within the existing national analogue UHF service. DSO released most of the spectrum for national digital TV services, and there is little space for expansion till DSO2 moves to DVB-T2 modulation. Quite what relevance to your utopian IP delivered services for everyone baffles me.

The gas industry said electric would never catch on. Don't worry about it, if you think it won't happen then obviously that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 21:06:47 #44 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Faust - 48 seconds ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 

Geoff_T - 2 hours ago  » 

The gas industry said electric would never catch on. Don't worry about it, if you think it won't happen then obviously that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

This thread is now getting totally stupid, suggest a moderator closes it before it gets even more bizarre. Talk about trying to justify an argument. I am unlikely to be around in 20 yrs time, but I do recognise a Star Trek beam me up Scotty argument based on absolutely no current research even based on the highest level of our pretty well established fundamental understanding of the universe based on all forms of detected electromagnetic radiation from anywhere in the universe.

Your post seems to totally ignore even the last century fundamental physics.

Is this a wind up or you do not understand how you can suggest that without a national network of near unlimited internet speeds without a massive investment can achieve the sort of performance required. Sure a 100% fibre network with light limited laser optical performance may get close. Anything with copper connections has no chance, the problem was discovered long ago, mutual inductance and parallel shunt capacitance attenuates high frequency transmission required to transmit large amounts of data severely limits the maximum speed of a metallic data connection. Even a superconducting connection cannot change the fundamental problem of the absolute limits of any metallic connection.

When you understand the limitation between the highest possible frequency and the possible bandwidth you may understand what you state is simply not possible with our current understanding without the highest frequency of Electromagnetic radiation we know about (Light itself) and the capability to handle this sort of frequency directly without having to downshift the frequency to the sort of frequencies (Like a LNB downshifts microwave frequencies, to those that can be coped with a coax cable) even the latest technology has no chance of your expectations.

I take it you have some sort of degree in Physics ? Your post tends to say you have not, even ignoring the currently accepted limits of what is possible.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 21:50:34 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...This thread is now getting totally stupid, suggest a moderator closes it before it gets even more bizarre...

In this instance I agree entirely with your position ref Faust's pipedream. However, I welcome the fact that you don't own any of these forums and are in no position to close down a thread. It seems to be your fall-back position every time you cannot persuade another poster of the wisdom of your argument. Why don't you just close down your keyboard and ignore Faust as some others might wish to contribute.

| Sat 21 Jan 2017 23:19:39 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Graham I simply said many posts back I thought PVRs were on borrowed time due to changes in technology and how people now consume their media, especially younger people. I said in my last post you are absolutely entitled to your opinion just like I am entitled to mine.

What happens - you launch into what is in effect a toys out the pram rant. As others have remarked on more than a few occasions that I have seen, you just can't abide it if you think your opinion is being challenged in any way. You then try to blind the poster with science. It's childish and not an attractive trait.

| Sun 22 Jan 2017 0:35:42 #47 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 11 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...This thread is now getting totally stupid, suggest a moderator closes it before it gets even more bizarre...

In this instance I agree entirely with your position ref Faust's pipedream. However, I welcome the fact that you don't own any of these forums and are in no position to close down a thread. It seems to be your fall-back position every time you cannot persuade another poster of the wisdom of your argument. Why don't you just close down your keyboard and ignore Faust as some others might wish to contribute.

No intention of closing down the thread just not continuing a pointless argument which in terms of the thread title is way off topic, nor any intention to censor any argument. No problem with a seperate thread, this thread is not the place for it.

It has nothing to do with bugs or newbie errors on the HDR1000/1010/1100S boxes.

Best to move all this to another more relevant discussion thread.

| Sun 22 Jan 2017 10:54:28 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

When you understand the limitation between the highest possible frequency and the possible bandwidth you may understand what you state is simply not possible with our current understanding without the highest frequency of Electromagnetic radiation we know about (Light itself) and the capability to handle this sort of frequency directly without having to downshift the frequency to the sort of frequencies (Like a LNB downshifts microwave frequencies, to those that can be coped with a coax cable) even the latest technology has no chance of your expectations.

Not wanting to get into a 'Science Off' with Graham but obviously we do know about higher frequencies than light and I thought this might interest others.
    NASA will be testing x-ray communication technology in space with the potential to transmit Gigabits per second using very little power, it even has the capacity to penetrate radio-frequency shielding on the ground.
    The technology is part of NavCube and should be on International Space Station in 2018.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-s-navcube-could-support-an-x-ray-communications-demonstration-in-space-a-nasa-first

BTW I don't see a problem with a little off topic conversation, it makes the forum more interesting.

| Sun 22 Jan 2017 11:18:43 #49 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Reffub - 15 minutes ago  » 

Not wanting to get into a 'Science Off' with Graham but obviously we do know about higher frequencies than light and I thought this might interest others.
    NASA will be testing x-ray communication technology in space with the potential to transmit Gigabits per second using very little power, it even has the capacity to penetrate radio-frequency shielding on the ground.
    The technology is part of NavCube and should be on International Space Station in 2018.
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-s-navcube-could-support-an-x-ray-communications-demonstration-in-space-a-nasa-first
    BTW I don't see a problem with a little off topic conversation, it makes the forum more interesting.

Pretty pedestrian speed

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/192929-255tbps-worlds-fastest-network-could-carry-all-the-internet-traffic-single-fiber

| Sun 22 Jan 2017 11:34:46 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.