My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

only 6 channels found on 5000T

(26 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hwalker1

You have heard the story of the guy with terrible toothache that disappeard when he got to the dentist?
    Well while I was waiting for my call to Humax to be answered, I turned on the box and did an automatic scan using the default method. It found circa 180 TV and a lot of radio channels. By this time I was talking to the rep. When it had finished,I saved them. They all showed up on the program guide I played a few,to check. I then recorded three, (2 of them overlapping) programs and deleted the original 6 channels. Everything still works and the 6 don't show in the 800 group. So whatever it is it's intermittent,and their rep has given me a reference number in case I need to return it to Amazon.
    The next 2 weeks will be a good test
    Here's hoping it works.
    Thanks for your helpful comments.
    It's possible that the wet weather helped. Too strong a signal can be as bad. As too weak. We sometimes have thick fog and a 40mph wind at the same time out here in the hills.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 16:45:33 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Hwalker1 - 15 mins ago  » 
    Too strong a signal can be as bad.

Please tell us what is your signal strength as reported by the Humax on BBC One (Press red Freeview Play button, select Settings> Channel settings> Signal Test). Knowing this will allow us to advise you in an informed way.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 17:05:30 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Quick tip:

Now that it seems to be working ok, don't be tempted to try retuning again unless you really have to. Most changes that take place to the channel line-up are minor and can well be ignored.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 17:46:51 #13 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

While you have a working setup. You should follow the advice and make a note of the UHF channels you are receiving the channels you can view from.

You only need to check one from each MUX.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings

If the conditions exist that caused the original issue without these numbers the whole process will need to start again from scratch.

Once this is identified manual tuning is simple.

It will also identify which transmitter you are using.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 23:14:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hwalker1

The channel into on BBC1 Shows strength at 54%
    Quality at 100%

Apart from that much of the detailed information shows as light grey on a slightly darker grey.
    Ok so I'm knocking on a bit, but I've been programming web sites and data bases since before Microsoft. There are a set of reccomended colours that can be read easily by 98% of people. Why does this device not follow them? It is a visual thing.
    I have set the see through layer on mine to show black. Sometimes it does and other times it does not. When you are trying to read a program description and there us a gun battle taking place behind it, it's impossible.
    Stop letting design take place over function.
    Or have a proper program description. That's what I bought it for but was unable to test before buying due to Covid 19.
    All in all its just not as good as the one I purchased when Humax first started production.
    Looking increasingly like it's going back.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 23:31:27 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hwalker1

It has one good feature and that is the eog on 555.
    It's a bit ott but better than the others.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 23:33:20 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

In General Settings, set the On-Screen Display / Transparent Background to Off and you should see programme descriptions displayed in white with a solid black background.

See P27 of the manual.

| Fri 18 Dec 2020 23:58:13 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hwalker1

It is set as you suggested, but still shows the background film if you press the OK button while viewing a film.

| Sat 19 Dec 2020 0:09:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Hwalker1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Quality at 100%

I thought you said previously you were very close to a transmitter? 54% is a perfectly workable signal strength but surprisingly low. I am line of sight to the Chesterfield low power transmitter and get a signal strength of around 70%.

| Sat 19 Dec 2020 1:41:43 #19 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 8 hours ago  » 

Hwalker1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Quality at 100%

I thought you said previously you were very close to a transmitter? 54% is a perfectly workable signal strength but surprisingly low. I am line of sight to the Chesterfield low power transmitter and get a signal strength of around 70%.

I could see that transmitter as a teenager sitting on the roof of our house in Norton South Sheffield.

| Sat 19 Dec 2020 10:11:15 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.