My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Programmes failed to record while on holiday

(22 posts)
  1. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

I've been away on holiday for a week and before I left, all my required programmes were in the schedule. When I got back the Aura was showing a bright red light on its display, so I knew something was not right. When I switched it on, it came up on the Home screen, which is not normal. The only programmes which had been recorded were two on the first night I was away, everything else was missing. The schedule still showed all the expected series plus about 20 'broken' GB News entries, which had never been set up in the first place. After deleting all the rubbish I waited for the first scheduled programme to record, but it failed. I had to completely delete the schedule and set up the whole lot again. Curiously, when using the guide to set programmes up, the original record icons were still there despite the schedule having been cleared. I had to delete all the record icons and start again.

Having had no problems with the Aura for many months I was disappointed that it had chosen to fail so miserably just because I went away (my paranoia). The Aura was left in normal standby and was not connected to the internet.

My only thought about what might have caused the issue is that, when I go away I power off all my AV equipment except the Aura. Thus the TV, AV Amp, Sub and Bluray player are all powered off. The Aura is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, so its sound output is sent to the AV amp via eArc.

| Mon 22 Apr 2024 11:47:18 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

My guess, and it is guess, is that the Aura crashed after the first two recordings. When it rebooted it went into standby with nothing in the EPG. Because it was never switched on to normal use the EPG was never repopulated and the recordings couldn't take place. Previous models required the Humax to be out of standby (but not by a timed recording) to fill the EPG.
    With previous models it was possible to set power on and off timers that may have allowed the repopulation. As far as I can tell, these don't exist for the Aura. But you could do a daily reminder on BBC1 at an early time (I use 05:30, set by a time NOT a programme), then somewhere you can set the Aura to go into standby after x hours of intactivity. I don't know whether the Aura can get the EPG over the internet whilst in standby.

I've seen items reappear in the schedule and in recordings with the broken symbol, but usually that is when I've done a reset and rescanned the channels. I've never found GB News scheduled! Did you ever record anything from that channel? Possibly the Aura has restored some backup from somewhere. (??)

| Mon 22 Apr 2024 17:12:57 #2 |
  3. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

@EEPhil
    Thanks for your reply. I do record GB News daily from 0600 for 3hrs, but I had deleted that schedule before going away. I only do this process when going away for a while, often to Australia for several weeks. I don't like to leave electronic equipment on standby for long periods. I was also caught out this time by turning off my router and had forgotten that my landline is now dependent on it. A relative was puzzled when they tried to ring me and got an 'unobtainable' message.
    I will have a go at setting a daily reminder and see if that works.

| Tue 23 Apr 2024 12:26:49 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

That seems to confirm that your Aura had recovered a backup of old scheduled items, rather than randomly picking on GBN.

If you use daily reminder, remember that you could end up with the Aura permanently on if you don't set the auto-standby after x hours of intactivity (or manually switch to standby if you're at home).

| Tue 23 Apr 2024 15:01:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I've just had a similar experience. I have "Mock the Week" on Dave on series link. Last night's (this morning really) episode didn't record. When I switched the Aura on it didn't go straight to the last channel watched but possibly to the home screen (they all look too similar to me to know which is which). Remembering this thread I went to the EPG and found it completely empty. It repopulated very quickly, but was blank on switch on. Therefore I think my guess as to the problem may be confirmed. If only I could work out why the Aura wants to crash in the middle of the night. One of my main reasons for buying an Aura was because my 5000T crashed - in the middle of the night! The only common factor is no internet access during the night.

| Wed 24 Apr 2024 6:24:46 #5 |
  6. Fixdit

Fixdit

Its might be a bluetooth device searching for a connection. Try turning off bletooth on any mobile phone or Laptop. Every saturday afternoon my Aura turns on (from deep standby), it coincides with my neighbour's Sister visiting her.!!

| Wed 24 Apr 2024 15:55:03 #6 |
  7. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Under my normal recording/viewing regime, I never have the Aura connected to the internet, either by wi-fi or ethernet. I also have the catchup apps disabled and have uninstalled any other apps that will allow it. Under these conditions, and never going into deep standby, my Aura is very stable (except when I go away on holiday, obviously). If I'm away in Australia, I have to leave the Aura connected to the internet (via ethernet and Powerlines) so that I can use the Aura App to remote schedule programmes. This process often fails because the Aura doesn't come out of standby often enough to set up the new schedule.

| Wed 24 Apr 2024 17:08:15 #7 |
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

EEPhil - 5 days ago  » 
    ...But you could do a daily reminder on BBC1 at an early time (I use 05:30, set by a time NOT a programme), then somewhere you can set the Aura to go into standby after x hours of intactivity.

I've had a go at trying this but I can't find where to set the 'standby after x hours of inactivity' setting.
    It also occurs to me that when the Aura comes out of standby, it will turn on the TV via CEC. If I switch off CEC I can no longer operate Mute from the Humax remote. If I power off the TV whilst away I may get the same recordings failure I'm trying to avoid.

| Sun 28 Apr 2024 16:17:27 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Auto Standby,

Freeview button> Settings> Freeview Play Preferences> Auto Standby.

You will also see Deep Standby and Deep Standby Schedule.

I'm not sure the TV will automatically switch on if the Aura comes out of standby
    you think Humax would have factored that in regardless of CEC being on.
    You could experiment.

Whenever I'm away I set the Aura up to record, unplug the TV and all recordings are performed.
    The Aura works independently of the TV.

Could the initial problem have been caused by a power outage while you were away, were people
    in your house while you were away or ask your neighbours if they experienced a power outage while you were away.

| Mon 29 Apr 2024 3:55:37 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I can't help with CEC settings. My TV doesn't respond to the signals (too cheap).

When you're on holiday you don't need to mute the TV by the Humax remote. Turn off CEC for the duration? You could follow VitaminD's idea and experiment. Unplug your TV for one recording, see if it fails. It shouldn't.

| Mon 29 Apr 2024 6:34:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.