My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

PVR-9300T was rebooting - now just goes to standby

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Thanks Martin. without trying anything further, my box again now just goes back to standby. It has stopped continually rebooting.
    I took the disc out again but now for some reason it is showing as 'not initialized' so I can't see it in explorer or run Humaxrw against it.
    I am just running windows update on my Windows laptop just in case that helps. I may also see if I can use a utility like disk drill that may help. In the mean time I'm feeling rather stuck!
    I could try rerunning Flash9200 but I am not sure how long it will be before my machine forgets and goes back to either continually rebooting or goes back to just going straight into standby.
    I could reinstall the firmware.
    Regarding the disc, if it is corrupted somehow, I suppose I could forget the recordings and see if I can revive the machine this time with just an empty/reformatted disc to record to?
    Thanks.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 16:23:52 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Further to this, I uploaded the new firmware, but it didn't seem to help. I uploaded the other .hdf and that managed to reset things so it could retune could retune, view TV channels, etc. I kept the disc disconnected and this worked fine until I powered it off and on again.
    It seems to have forgotten the new .hdf and again just goes to standby rather than showing TV channels. Do the .hdf files get loaded to part of the hardware that is kept alive by battery power? This is such an old box that such a battery would long ago have expired? If there is such a thing, is there a replacement part for it?
    Alternatively, I am wondering if this PVR is past it and is ready for the bin?! Thanks.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 17:07:55 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jons1.smith - 2 hours ago  » 
    I took the disc out again but now for some reason it is showing as 'not initialized' so I can't see it in explorer or run Humaxrw against it.

You do not want it initialised and you will never be able to see it using Windows Explorer. The file system used by the 9200/9300 models is proprietary to Humax and you need to use Humaxrw to see what is on the drive.

I am just running windows update on my Windows laptop just in case that helps. I may also see if I can use a utility like disk drill that may help. In the mean time I'm feeling rather stuck!

It won't help.

I could try rerunning Flash9200 but I am not sure how long it will be before my machine forgets and goes back to either continually rebooting or goes back to just going straight into standby.

Have you used humaxrw to delete epgsave.dat ?

I could reinstall the firmware.

No point.

Regarding the disc, if it is corrupted somehow, I suppose I could forget the recordings and see if I can revive the machine this time with just an empty/reformatted disc to record to?

If you have a spare drive lying around it is worth trying.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 18:54:52 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jons1.smith - 1 hour ago  » 
    Further to this, I uploaded the new firmware, but it didn't seem to help. I uploaded the other .hdf and that managed to reset things so it could retune could retune, view TV channels, etc. I kept the disc disconnected and this worked fine until I powered it off and on again.

So near and yet so far.

It seems to have forgotten the new .hdf and again just goes to standby rather than showing TV channels. Do the .hdf files get loaded to part of the hardware that is kept alive by battery power?

No battery needed, it is flash RAM.

This is such an old box that such a battery would long ago have expired? If there is such a thing, is there a replacement part for it?
    Alternatively, I am wondering if this PVR is past it and is ready for the bin?!

I am beginning to think the Flash RAM is end of life. There have been several reports of problems with 9300T (and not for other models) which I have long suspected are flash RAM failures. In my view if the flash RAM has failed then the box is scrap. But if you have a spare drive try with that first before scrapping. Sorry if I have wasted your time.

| Tue 9 Feb 2021 19:00:57 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Thanks Martin.
    I tried putting in a spare disc as you advised. It offered to format it and worked perfectly. Watching TV, recording programs, playing them back, all perfect.
    I guessed that if the box was suddenly feeling well, that I could copy the programs off the original disc onto the new disc and everything would be ok.
    Unfortunately on powering off and on, the Flash RAM has forgotten everything and I am back in standby.
    From here I am thinking I could see if anyone has an old 9300 with at least a working Flash that they would like to donate, and I could then proceed with figuring out how to copy the programs onto a spare disc and get that going.
    The alternative is trying to persuade Dad to upgrade his broadband, learn to use BBC iplayer, Prime video etc. I know the titles he recorded because I can see them using Humaxrw. I can find most of the same content (and more) online.
    Martin, thank you so much for your patience, help and support. I don't consider myself a technical person so it has been quite an education to get me to the point of trying everything possible and come to a certain conclusion.
    I have enjoyed using Flash9200 and Humaxrw.
    Many thanks again, the help from this great forum has been very much appreciated.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 13:36:09 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jons1.smith - 2 hours ago  » 
    I tried putting in a spare disc as you advised. It offered to format it and worked perfectly. Watching TV, recording programs, playing them back, all perfect.
    I guessed that if the box was suddenly feeling well, that I could copy the programs off the original disc onto the new disc and everything would be ok.
    Unfortunately on powering off and on, the Flash RAM has forgotten everything and I am back in standby.

I think that is pretty conclusive, pity.

From here I am thinking I could see if anyone has an old 9300 with at least a working Flash that they would like to donate, and I could then proceed with figuring out how to copy the programs onto a spare disc and get that going.

Have you considered a refurbished HDR-2000T from Humax Direct for £89 with a years warranty? My technophobic partner found the step from a 9200T (very similar user interface to a 9300T) to and HDR-2000T pretty straightforward and the HDR-2000T is a more competent PVR thatn the 9300T.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 15:52:14 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Thanks Martin - do you know if it uses the same format for the disc recordings? - i.e. could I copy recorded programs from the old 9300 disc onto a disc being used in a 2000-T?

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 16:54:29 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

jons1.smith - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks Martin - do you know if it uses the same format for the disc recordings? - i.e. could I copy recorded programs from the old 9300 disc onto a disc being used in a 2000-T?

The HDR-2000T will play the .ts files. The other files associated with a recording are not the same on the HDR-2000T so you will lose some functionality on playback but they will play.

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 18:54:37 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Thanks - useful to know!

| Wed 10 Feb 2021 19:59:06 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jons1.smith

Hi Martin, I now have a HDR-2000T and it looks like a good machine.
    I would like to copy the programs from the old 9300 disk to the new disk.
    Would you advise that I do a direct backup of all the files - i.e. use humaxrw 2: 3: -b
    Alternatively is recovery mode better - presumably humaxrw 2: 3: -r ?
    Is there anything else you would advise?
    Many thanks

| Mon 15 Feb 2021 19:25:57 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.