My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

"Record entire series" prompt

(40 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » ...You can't set a series record on a programme that has already started for the simple reason there's no way to start the broadcast stream again...

grahamlthompson - 7 minutes ago  » ...On any PVR there is no way to record the complete broadcast stream if the programme has already started other than from the on box buffer. The only thing Humax could do is schedule the next episode, which is easy to do anyway.

Even I am confused now Graham. Some time ago when I raised this with Freesat they simply ignored my query (as they often did when they themselves ran a forum). In the first quote you appear to be saying it cannot be done at all. In the second quote, yes it can be done but they have chosen not to.

Which is it? I'm not one to accept a no without a technical explanation.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:19:03 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 28 seconds ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Justintime - 1 hour ago  » ...You can't set a series record on a programme that has already started for the simple reason there's no way to start the broadcast stream again...

grahamlthompson - 7 minutes ago  » ...On any PVR there is no way to record the complete broadcast stream if the programme has already started other than from the on box buffer. The only thing Humax could do is schedule the next episode, which is easy to do anyway.

Even I am confused now Graham. Some time ago when I raised this with Freesat they simply ignored my query (as they often did when they themselves ran a forum). In the first quote you appear to be saying it cannot be done at all. In the second quote, yes it can be done but they have chosen not to.
    Which is it? I'm not one to accept a no without a technical explanation.

The current programme cannot be recorded to a series folder, unless a series recording reservation existed when the programme started.

Only the next episode can be series recorded. Not even sure the required CRID's are available once the programme has started. If they aren't it can't be done, if they are it's a rather pointless complication.

What is the point of adding a incomplete recording to a series folder ?

It's only possible to record it completely and only using a 2nd generation box by creating the already broadcast content from the time shift buffer (The Foxsat-HDR cannot record the time shift buffer).

Provided the content is buffered press the red instant record button to record the current programme as a one off. Flip forward to the 8th day and set a normal series recording.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:27:55 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » ... (1) Not even sure the required CRID's are available once the programme has started. If they aren't it can't be done, if they are it's a rather pointless complication... (2) What is the point of adding a incomplete recording to a series folder ?... (3) Provided the content is buffered press the red instant record button to record the current programme as a one off. Flip forward to the 8th day and set a normal series recording.

(1) So you don't know whether it can be done. Thanks.
    (2) Not sure where that crept in as I never raised it.
    (3) I know how to do it, but I'd rather the box did it for me and I don't regard it as a pointless complication.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 11:49:13 #23 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 14 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 9 minutes ago  » ... (1) Not even sure the required CRID's are available once the programme has started. If they aren't it can't be done, if they are it's a rather pointless complication... (2) What is the point of adding a incomplete recording to a series folder ?... (3) Provided the content is buffered press the red instant record button to record the current programme as a one off. Flip forward to the 8th day and set a normal series recording.

(3) I know how to do it, but I'd rather the box did it for me and I don't regard it as a pointless complication.

Now completely lost, are you saying you want to schedule a future episode using a epg entry for a programme already started without recording the current episode ? If so that seems a totally pointless exercise.

It would make a lot more sense to use the search facility to check if there is a series repeat using a different CRID and schedule that.

What would you expect to happen if the programme happens to be the last in the series ?

Pretty sure the OP want's to record the current episode in total and future ones as well.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:07:36 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 6 minutes ago  » 

Now totally lost what you asking for.

Are you asking to be able to set a series recording from a programme that has already started without actually recording the programme that has started. If so what's the point ? The programme search facility is designed to find any future repeats. Using this you may find a later repeat using a different series CRID and be able to schedule that.

What if the current viewed is the last in the series ? Generating a series recording that would never be used is just stupid.

Pretty sure the OP want's to record the programme being viewed and future episodes in a series folder.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:08:22 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » ...Pretty sure the OP want's to record the programme being viewed and future episodes in a series folder.

Exactly, as do I. What's to be confused about?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:13:03 #26 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 3 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 3 minutes ago  » ...Pretty sure the OP want's to record the programme being viewed and future episodes in a series folder.

Exactly, as do I. What's to be confused about?

Because there is no way to be sure of recording a complete programme that has already started how would you get the beginning ? You may have switched to it a few minutes from the end.

The system is clever enough to include any earlier episodes not yet broadcast whatever entry you set the series from.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:20:10 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

To put it simply...
    Sometimes while surfing the EPG a program catches my interest. I switch to it and I enjoy it and realise it is one of a series. Happens all the time for me, I don't spend time reading TV schedules. I want to record the series, if I switched to that channel after the start I don't care about the part missed, I may want the remainder of the current episode and certainly want the remaining series episodes. It would be convenient to simply press R and accomplish that. Lots of reasons for that including I may have to halt viewing to attend to something. So now I have to record the current episode then remember to go looking for the other episodes after, for example, the one hour phone call that just interrupted my viewing.
    Since Freesat ignored my query and you don't know if it can be done then I have no explanation as to why it is not done.

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 12:56:48 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Justintime

special member

Exactly as Pollensa1946 - If I find I want to record a series after the program has started I accept that I have missed the start and I do not care about the bit I missed. I simply want the box to record the rest of the current episode and give me the "Record entire series" prompt. Also the next episode may not be a weekly-same-time schedule in which case one has to check the epg every day just in case. Example - Program "Bodyguard" was on BBC1 at 9pm Sunday and Monday with episode 3 next Sunday at 9pm.

Why is it so hard for Humax/Freesat to fix this?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 15:08:15 #29 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Justintime - 27 minutes ago  » 
    Exactly as Pollensa1946 - If I find I want to record a series after the program has started I accept that I have missed the start and I do not care about the bit I missed. I simply want the box to record the rest of the current episode and give me the "Record entire series" prompt. Also the next episode may not be a weekly-same-time schedule in which case one has to check the epg every day just in case. Example - Program "Bodyguard" was on BBC1 at 9pm Sunday and Monday with episode 3 next Sunday at 9pm.
    Why is it so hard for Humax/Freesat to fix this?

You can use the search option to find the next showing in the series.

In some cases you may find a repeat of the episode you missed using a different series crid.

If the crid data is no longer available after the programme has started how can the next episode be found ?

| Tue 28 Aug 2018 15:37:43 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.